Subject: Sell me on this game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first exposure to FCM was Rahdo. This is a bit heavier than his standard fare, but he gave it a fair run nonetheless. I came away, though, with a general negative feeling about it.

Since then, I have come across several other reviews and references. While I still feel negative about the game, I cannot place exactly why. Individual mechanisms in the game, and even the theme are interesting. But the combined whole just doesnt appeal to me.

Strangely, the only single item I don't like in a vacuum is the blandness of the board. I feel like it clashes with the 50's clip art of the cards. This is a minor thing, and usually wouldn't be so offputting.

Anyway, since many parts of this game appeal to me, I am hoping dedicated fans/players can help me understand how the whole package fits together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Adultman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If the "combined whole" isn't interesting to you, I'd say don't spend the money and try playing online first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum_Jack wrote:

Strangely, the only single item I don't like in a vacuum is the blandness of the board. I feel like it clashes with the 50's clip art of the cards. This is a minor thing, and usually wouldn't be so offputting.

With all respect to your opinion on this, I would call it more than a minor thing. I am one of those who like an attractive game. It looks cheap and boring; and I am going to look at it for 3 hours? Did they run out of time before the printer's deadline? For the price of the game, we deserved better art.

I want to play it, it promises to be an awesome game. Just registering my disappointment and agreeing that for some, it may be a deciding factor in handing over a big wad of cash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is the best place to "try it online" as I dont keep up with the best online venues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://play.boardgamecore.net/main.jsp

there you go
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max G
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on a few of your points you mentioned, I was also a skeptic beforehand, but once the game arrived and we played I was completely won over. I actually was kicking myself I held off on getting the game for so long and waited only until the 4th print run.

For some reason the tiles look more unappealing on the video and picture files than when you actually set it up in person. Once everything is laid out and the wooden food cubes start populating it will look very appealing and you won't even worry about the tiles. There have been a few threads comment on the components so I won't go there again but this is a game you just have to try and put preconceptions about components behind you.

I have played online, although it is a wonderful implementation of the game, I am a bit apprehensive about recommending a player try a game online before the real game. I am not saying it can turn out good or bad, just that you may get a different feel or view for the game than how it plays in person. I waited until I had played my first game in real life before playing online. In this case with FCM I would just unreservedly take the plunge to get the game, play it, and then go play online after your first face to face game if need be.
The only time I would recommend trying the game online first is if you really have serious concerns about the game and know very little about it and would like to test it out. Generally any face to face boardgame is going go be much more enjoyable than an online implementation for the mere fact you got a few friends together and can share the experience in real life. A lot of the online games people quit and just time out so you may not get a very enjoyable experience. It would be a tragedy if you did not get the game because of some negative online games or experiences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Todea
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that playing this online is different than playing in Real life.
I guess if you could - try both options then decide if the game is for you.

Some would prefer the online version due to less calculation/auto accounting, some would prefer the 'in your face' tension and laughs across the table.

Definitely a game that needs to be tried before buying due to both price and possible incompatibility with your group.

I fell in love with the game just upon reading the rules and I knew I would like it but that's just me. Unfortunately my group doesn't share the love esp. that I thrashed them a few times at it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was very interested based on the description, I have played it once so far and loved it. I like longer games. Check my ratings I suppose and see if my opinion is applicable to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum_Jack wrote:
Strangely, the only single item I don't like in a vacuum is the blandness of the board. I feel like it clashes with the 50's clip art of the cards.

I actually like the "bland" board for a couple reasons (one functional reason and three art/theme reasons):

1) The functional reason: When the board is full of homes, ad campaigns, demand tokens, and restaurants, it is really easy to see everything because the board is so uniform and simple.

2) Regarding theme: I think the board and the cards go very well together and capture two parts of the mythical 1950's in the U.S. The 1950's suburbs were thrown up very quickly because of the booming economy and new developments were built in nice grids. Every home was the same, everybody (in white male dominated) america wanted to be the same (or at least not appear to be different). Since nobody wanted to stand out, bland utilitarian designs were often popular. The game, in my opinion captures the shiny happy faces of the mythical 50's on the cards. Even the male domination of the business world (for better or worse) is thematic in this game. And it catches the feel of the white picket fence suburbs of city planners in the "bland" board. And the race to capitalize on the new developments with restaurants fits right into the theme.

3) The board is cold and utilitarian. Any modern board game subtlety on the tiles that might "liven it up" would undercut the utilitarian theme that is evoked by it. The game is ruthless cutthroat capitalism; in contrast to the cards, where "Everybody is happy!" thumbsup, the game is cold and brutal. Bad choices are your fault and you lose badly.

4) The game actually feels like an old game. Like an old copy of monopoly. As if it has been sitting in a closet for 60 years and we just found it. The card art captures the art style of the 50's, and the board feels outdated compared to "modern" board games. Just as it should be in my opinion.

I think it is stereotypical America in a box.

(Oh, and by-the-way, I think the game is awesome. But I admit it isn't for everybody, and I admit I am fortunate to be able to afford it.)

... Just some thoughts on a Monday night after work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't have a good experience trying to play online, having not played ever before. Things resolve so fast online (dinnertime specifically), it's hard to grasp the consequences of your actions, at least in my own experience. All of a sudden I had earned money, but did not realize it and did not know how. Without knowing how exactly and where I lost out, it was hard to figure out where I need to improve. Despite the negative experience trying to play online (through my own fault for not knowing the rules completely), when I played in person, I had a wonderful experience playing the game. It's well done online, but I think it's probably better to play online once you have an understanding of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8-bit Matt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play online at the request of my game group, but don't generally enjoy the experience like I do in person (true of most games).

I'm sure it's been said before, but this is an easy game to "rent" in that Splotter titles hold their value well (and often increase dramatically, see Antiquity...). You shouldn't have any problem turning it over for a minor loss+shipping at worst.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Milestone unlocked: First Internet campaign.

This is a top-notch game. I certainly appreciate chrome, but there is so much going on in the game; the simple, clean design is a feature.

As stated above, try boardgamecore.net. Or, also, this game would be easy to sell, as it will likely have a strong secondary value. Can't recommend this one enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, there's only one reason to not play this game - if you don't like, or don't want to play right now, a game where when you get down, you're out. It's a pretty ruthless game when you get behind.

I agree with the comment above - you really need to play in person a few times to understand how the game works, even with the superb implementation online.

I personally think the art is great, and the overall feel is superb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One issue is that I dont have anyone to play a game of this level with. I think if I get a decent game group I will try to acquire this game. May try it online once I read the rules. But it may be a while before I get a face to face game in, even if I purchased it today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.