Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Belk
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was one of the 4 people at DTC who got to demo it at the table Eric Lang ran it at, and Tom Vasel played it at (not the play on his twitter).

I have to be honest, considering some of the other mumblings on the BGG forum I was extremely worried and actually had pushed Eric and the folks at CMON to be part of the demo Eric ran.

We played a full game against Pride, with Eric playing Pride. It was awesome. For starters I'm much more of a Euro Gamer with the occasional 1-v-all dungeon crawl getting tossed in to scratch the D&D itch from my youth. I was extremely worried about the theme of the game because post apocalyptic near future hell raiser stuff doesn't strongly appeal to me at all. Frankly the main reason I bought the kickstarter (and I went all in) was the minis. I really hoped there was a game there but I had serious doubts.

That being said it was awesome! Maybe because I went into it with low expectations (from some other comments on these forums) but it was the 2nd best new (new to me) game I played at DTC this year - and I did not expect that since I played a lot of Euro's that should have been more my style.

Now it isn't easy, but its not impossible or a slow slog like the another person posted. The mechanics are pretty simple as a hero... move 2 spaces and take 1 action, or take 1 action and move 2 spaces. If you are inside a building at the start or end of your turn as a free action you can use the city action (and you will)!

Eric went into it planning on killing Tom Vassal first because they know each other and they pick on each other. By the end of the first round (Eric told me after it ended) he felt I was his biggest threat. I was playing a ranged guy and killing a lot of his stuff. It went for 2-3 hours (but to be fair with the number of people walking up to Tom and Eric about different things there were a lot of distractions). So I would expect a game to run 1.5-2.5 hours once you know what you're doing.

At no point did it feel like it overstayed its welcome. Due to the time we were playing at, we kinda rushed at the end because Tom had a few places to be and probably could have made slightly better decisions. In the end, Eric won, but we made it to the last objective and only had the Sin Pride left to kill - we just needed more gear to do it. I was the 1 of only 2 heroes to survive, Eric killed 5 other heroes (you play 4 at a time, but have 3 in reserve in case you die and you will die). When you die you draw a new hero - if there is no hero to draw the bad guy looses and thus we did. My original hero made it thru the last round but because everyone else was dead it didn't matter (heroes lose when they die and cannot draw a new character).

It really feels balanced, the Sin player feels powerful but if you make wise decisions you feel like you're doing well. Eric (at the end) felt like we were pushing him to his limits and that it was hard for him. It really is 49%/51% in the favor of the Sin player, but that 1% is just due to 1 rule that if the last objective is met and the last expendable hero dies in the same roll, the Sins still win. Otherwise it feels REALLY balanced and fair and fun.

I gotta say it was a lot of fun. WAY more fun than I expected. As a more Euro Gamer type I did not expect it to be that much fun for me but it really really was. So rest assured it is not a slog or a waste of plastic. Its fun, tense, scary, and very clever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this is great news. I was in it like you, for the minis, with hopes that there was a good game here. This is encouraging!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Sullivan
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to chime in here, I got to play last year at Gen Con vs Eric as well. This was my first Cool Mini or Not Kickstarter. I also like eurogames more and tend to shy away from games like Massive Darkness and Zombicide.

The game is a blast, it was tense, it was fun, we barely took the final sin down by loading up one player with items and sending him in like a suicide bomber. There is a large element of chance with the dice, and exploding dice so you never know whats going to happen or when your going to go full on Rambo on a turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
*Vasel

Thanks for posting! I was also worried after reading the other threads. Especially since we have similar tastes in games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This makes me feel so much better about backing and that much more excited to get my game in the mail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear some impressions from someone where the game was played correctly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wikiro Trio
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if it will replace pandemic or Robinson Crusoe for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Replace RC? BLASPHEMER!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Jackson
Australia
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
drb1979 wrote:
if the last objective is met and the last expendable hero dies in the same roll, the Sins still win.

WHAT! My final hero could be standing against immeasurable odds, having watched his team get killed around him and with his last breath, sacrifice himself to wipe out the sins forces and still lose? Noooooooo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
SamThe2Can wrote:
drb1979 wrote:
if the last objective is met and the last expendable hero dies in the same roll, the Sins still win.

WHAT! My final hero could be standing against immeasurable odds, having watched his team get killed around him and with his last breath, sacrifice himself to wipe out the sins forces and still lose? Noooooooo.

This is the opposite of what the KS rule book says, if I recall correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Paul G wrote:
SamThe2Can wrote:
drb1979 wrote:

This is the opposite of what the KS rule book says, if I recall correctly.

I think so, as well. Either they changed the rule or Eric made this variant up to beat Tom..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boardgamemuse
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Wikiro wrote:

Well - does it also accommodate single player ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the rulebook, the FAITH players won. Someone tell Tom!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pratchettfan777 wrote:
Wikiro wrote:

It's a 1 vs 1 (or many game), with no solo/co-op version available. (Which isn't to say some fan can't make a home-brew version, but out of the box? No.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chinkster wrote:
pratchettfan777 wrote:
Wikiro wrote:

It's a 1 vs 1 (or many game), with no solo/co-op version available. (Which isn't to say some fan can't make a home-brew version, but out of the box? No.)

I believe that not being able to play solo is the point he was making. So it should not replace a game such as pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samurai Munky

Westford
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also bought this in part for the minis, part because i was a bit sore about not backing blood rage and didn't want to shell out extra $ in case this took off as well, and part because 7 deadly sins is a cool theme to me.

glad to see some positive feedback for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
samuraimunky wrote:
glad to see some positive feedback for it!

Oh, I think you'll see more as more backers receive their games. My initial impressions:

I also own and have played Blood Rage and I’m beginning to think Eric Lang should be banned from designing games for life! He’s got a tendency to create games which are simple to play (mechanically) but present you with lots and lots of tough choices to make! (In case you can't tell... I'm running through a game -- by myself -- to learn the rules and gameplay).

Sure it’s a staple of the “dudes on a map” variety… and can even be considered an extension of the dungeon crawl genre… but each player really has a lot of different things they can do each time its their turn.

It’s also interesting that in 1 round, each player can have 2 discrete turns… And there’s not a set Sin Player turn… instead, there’s a limited number of interrupt activations to move the Sin minions in between each Hero turn. Makes each turn varied and unpredictable. And the missions! Oy… How does branching mission paths grab you?

And the THEME! OMG, talk about dripping in theme. The Corruption mechanic is sheer genius. It’s soooo easy to slide down the path of Dark Power one Corruption token at a time…

(It’s only the end of the 1st Round and already Dr. Leah the leader has maxed out her Corruption…)

There's a backer that's made a ton of unboxing videos on YouTube so you can check out the production quality for yourself. I think most backers will NOT be disappointed. Looks like this KS was truly Value For Money in both quantity of stuff and gameplay (YMMV on this last bit, though). I’m a happy backer and the delay was worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Received my package today as well. I haven't played a game but my gods the sheer amount of stuff that comes with this pledge. Now I got one of everything except the art book so you might not have as much but it's almost ludicrous how much comes in just the base pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Margewich
United States
Clifton
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your thoughts. You wrote that this was your second favorite new game played at DTC. I'm curious, what was your number one new game that you played there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
It's hard to give a bad review when you play with the designer. Not only is it polite to not be a jerk, they probably give the best rules explanation and direct the game on how its supposed to be played better than anyone.

I played the game and found it fussy and really not that interesting. The typical CMON female issues are still prevalent, where you often feel like you're playing a fetish rather than a woman character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wright
msg tools
mbmbmb
You find these female characters to be more fetish like than actual female representation? Jeeze...no one wants to play with miniatures that look like the average person...think about it, it works both ways. No one will ever want to play with a miniature that represents you...or me for that matter. We like fantastic unrealistic representations of both sexes. I want to play with the sleek ninja female/male, or the masculine brute of a man with the huge hammer, or the mystic female witch with the big breasts and slender hands casting their spells. People don't want fat ninjas, plain jane knife wielders with large hips and small breasts...skinny short males holding large hammers wearing a fedora and a bowtie. For the small minority there is always the lammilly doll. I rarely comment on this site, but I get tired of hearing about this kind of stuff. IF PEOPLE DIDN'T LIKE IT. PEOPLE WOULDN'T MAKE IT. DEMAND - SUPPLY. (I work in the film industry, this is a common argument there, only people are commenting on other people compared to the normal individual...They are real females.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom C
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
protisimulator wrote:
You find these female characters to be more fetish like than actual female representation? Jeeze...no one wants to play with miniatures that look like the average person...think about it, it works both ways. No one will ever want to play with a miniature that represents you...or me for that matter. We like fantastic unrealistic representations of both sexes. I want to play with the sleek ninja female/male, or the masculine brute of a man with the huge hammer, or the mystic female witch with the big breasts and slender hands casting their spells. People don't want fat ninjas, plain jane knife wielders with large hips and small breasts...skinny short males holding large hammers wearing a fedora and a bowtie. For the small minority there is always the lammilly doll. I rarely comment on this site, but I get tired of hearing about this kind of stuff. IF PEOPLE DIDN'T LIKE IT. PEOPLE WOULDN'T MAKE IT. DEMAND - SUPPLY. (I work in the film industry, this is a common argument there, only people are commenting on other people compared to the normal individual...They are real females.)

Agreed. Funny how nobody complains that male figures are largely built like Arnold Schwarzeneggar or at worst Ryan Reynolds instead of the "typical male gamer", a la Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons. Sure, chainmail bikinis are pretty dumb, but I don't want heroes that look like Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton -- I want strong, buff, sexy folks of both genders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anson Ng
msg tools
DeftMunky wrote:
It's hard to give a bad review when you play with the designer. Not only is it polite to not be a jerk, they probably give the best rules explanation and direct the game on how its supposed to be played better than anyone.

I played the game and found it fussy and really not that interesting. The typical CMON female issues are still prevalent, where you often feel like you're playing a fetish rather than a woman character.

agree. seems like a dice-chucking fest. then why not play arcadia quest for shorter setup time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
danlicata wrote:
Received my package today as well. I haven't played a game but my gods the sheer amount of stuff that comes with this pledge. Now I got one of everything except the art book so you might not have as much but it's almost ludicrous how much comes in just the base pledge.

I did not go all in, just got the base pledge at $100, and it's still a tremendous amount of stuff. In addition to the core game, I also got all five sin expansions and two team expansions, for another 50+ minis, more than 10 new city boards, dice, dice bag, and cards. I'm very happy I backed this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.