Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Battlebots! Season 2. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Who else is watching the second season of Battlebots? I thought I would lose interest, but it is a blast to see the modifications to last season's robots. Even better is the seeded bracket. Definitely filling one out with my girlfriend with a friendly wager.

Nightmare is my favorite, he did really well in the old series. When everyone else was running boring wedge bots, he had a huge freakin' saw that ate up the opposition. Minotaur has really impressed me, though. It's little spinning drum sounds like a plane engine.

Tombstone is the highest seed, but I really think that some of the armor the bots have added this season will help protect against that lawnmower style blade. If it makes it to the final again, I'd be up for a Bronco-Tombstone rematch. As long as Tombstone loses, I'm good.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What channel is showing this? I heard it was coming back, but wasn't able to find it anywhere.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ABC
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition, this season you can find some fights on youtube!

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My young son loves this show, and that is putting it mildly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids and I are watching. My 8 year old daughter is more interested in it than is the 13 year old man child.

I'm liking Minotaur.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowen wrote:
My kids and I are watching. My 8 year old daughter is more interested in it than is the 13 year old man child.

I'm liking Minotaur.



Awesome! You should have them fill out brackets. Minotaur is so small, maneuverable and threatening. I was really impressed in how it has been able to push other bots around! That, the whirling sound and the destructiveness is just awesome. When the most effective shape of your front spinner is just a simple tooth design, you know you're doing it right:

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We are also liking the rule that allows drones this year.

Some other favorites that I can't wait to see more of:

Tombstone
Bronco
Red Devil
Yeti
Lockjaw

Which is the one that was shooting the special effect fireballs? That was cool!

Yes, will have to do a family bracket, nice idea!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the bot designs early on drive me nuts (exposed wheels, bots that can't self-right, etc), it's getting better now that the chaff has been eliminated. The show is even better if you record it and fast forward to the 10 minutes of action per episode!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Some of the bot designs early on drive me nuts (exposed wheels, bots that can't self-right, etc), it's getting better now that the chaff has been eliminated. The show is even better if you record it and fast forward to the 10 minutes of action per episode!


Not sure I'd actively watch it with commercials. It is a lot better this season than last, the fill between bouts is more interesting. They are pressing the nationality angle really hard (take a sip every time they say Brasil and Minotaur in the same sentence).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
We're digging it.

Personally, dislike the drones + minis.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Never heard of this before yesterday (thx Reddit)... and I spent all night watching YouTube clips of last season and this season. That's Entertainment!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to watch it, didn't know we were getting more, need to dig a way to watch robots demo eachother.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is the best thing on TV right now. I absolutely love it. It's the joy of watching gladiator combat to the death but without any living person getting injured, and the competitors are nerds and geeks just like us.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And Tombstone is #1 for a reason. No amount of armor stands up to that blade. Witness one of the quickest knockouts in Battlebots history...

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gah I didn't realize it had started! Off to youtube...

My kids and I love this show. But I still miss Wipeout

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody watch tonight's episode?

Flying fire-breathing drones o my! It's like proto-Hunter-Killers!

And having daughters, fun to point out the female contenders to them ... you too can become an engineer and build machines of destruction ... er ... entertainment.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
crazybyzantine wrote:
Anybody watch tonight's episode?

Flying fire-breathing drones o my! It's like proto-Hunter-Killers!

And having daughters, fun to point out the female contenders to them ... you too can become an engineer and build machines of destruction ... er ... entertainment.

I would say this was probably the weakest episode of the first round of this tournament. There were a few big moments (like raking the drone) but some very dull matches too. They even fast-forwarded through like 4 matches which infuriates me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit of a tangent here, but...

After a 12 year hiatus, there's a new series of Robot Wars on the BBC.

We watched the first episode this week, in which favourites Razor and Behemoth went out of the competition, with spinning-blade robot Carbide going through to the Grand Final.

Full episode is apparently Leaked online here:

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Watching last week and this week back to back...

Who writes this stuff for Faruq?

Best line so far:
"NASA's going to Mars, this bot's going to your anus..."

I think we need a Faruq fan thread, or at least keep track of the best introductions.

Raking a drone, and making it explode... that was awesome.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Grimwold wrote:
A bit of a tangent here, but...

After a 12 year hiatus, there's a new series of Robot Wars on the BBC.

We watched the first episode this week, in which favourites Razor and Behemoth went out of the competition, with spinning-blade robot Carbide going through to the Grand Final.


Yep, was really good to see this back too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
fenners wrote:
Grimwold wrote:
A bit of a tangent here, but...

After a 12 year hiatus, there's a new series of Robot Wars on the BBC.

We watched the first episode this week, in which favourites Razor and Behemoth went out of the competition, with spinning-blade robot Carbide going through to the Grand Final.


Yep, was really good to see this back too.

I'd say the US is ahead on design. Razer, Behemoth and Killahurtz are over 10 years old now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualSax wrote:
Shadowen wrote:
My kids and I are watching. My 8 year old daughter is more interested in it than is the 13 year old man child.

I'm liking Minotaur.



Awesome! You should have them fill out brackets. Minotaur is so small, maneuverable and threatening. I was really impressed in how it has been able to push other bots around! That, the whirling sound and the destructiveness is just awesome. When the most effective shape of your front spinner is just a simple tooth design, you know you're doing it right:



Minotaur is such a beast (pun intended). I love when that drum gets to full speed and you can hear it. Such a clean simple design. They have my bet for taking it all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:
Minotaur is such a beast (pun intended). I love when that drum gets to full speed and you can hear it. Such a clean simple design. They have my bet for taking it all.


My money's (literally) on Bronco. If Minotaur can get at Bronco's wheels it might end quickly, but Bronco should be able to toss such a compact bot around. In last night's fight Bronco used its rear steel wedge and the opposing bot couldn't sink its weapon in anywhere.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualSax wrote:
AvidHunter wrote:
Minotaur is such a beast (pun intended). I love when that drum gets to full speed and you can hear it. Such a clean simple design. They have my bet for taking it all.


My money's (literally) on Bronco. If Minotaur can get at Bronco's wheels it might end quickly, but Bronco should be able to toss such a compact bot around. In last night's fight Bronco used its rear steel wedge and the opposing bot couldn't sink its weapon in anywhere.


Tough to debate that... the big thing I think Minotaur has over Bronco is maneuverability and a really good controller (driver? pilot?). I think Minotaur can handle being tossed around and just bounce back.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.