Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamal Green
United States
Studio City
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize this might not apply to many people, but through tomorrow Amazon will give Prime Members $10 off qualifying orders if they order via Alexa (aka their home voice-assistant device Echo.) A qualifying order must be $20+ and sold by Amazon.

NOTE -- getting Alexa to understand what you want can be a game in itself! Here's an abbreviated version of my interaction:

"Alexa, order For Sale card game".

~ "Would you like me to order Munchkin?"

"No"

~ "Would you like me to order Seven Wonders?"

"No. Cancel."

"Alexa, order Dice City game."

~ "I cannot order Dice City game, but I've added it to your shopping list."

"Why can't you order Dice City game?"

~ "Hmmm... I don't know how to respond to that."

"Alexa, order Forbidden Desert".

~ "Would you like me to order Forbidden Island?"

"No"

"Alexa, order."

~ "What would you like me to order?"

"Search desert board game".

~ "Searching found the following results... Forbidden Desert Board Game. Should I order that?"

"Yes"

~ "OK. With the Prime Day discount your total..."

So... I finally got Forbidden Desert for $10.63 and to be delivered in 2 days. That'll do.

I don't think I would try this method to snag a lightning deal. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bruce
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
ROFL, thanks for posting this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Diehl
United States
Grand Terrace
California
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe you can add it to your shopping list (either your Alexa App shopping list or perhaps the Shopping List wishlist on amazon.com) and order it from there (instead of voice searching for it)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Easton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is like a game, isn't it? We have an Echo upstairs and a Dot downstairs. My wife has the whole house wired through it...lights and stuff.

I'm constantly talking to it.

Back on topic, is there criteria for a "qualifying item"? Seems like a good deal and I'd like to check out the options.

EDIT:

Quote:
A qualifying order must be $20+ and sold by Amazon.

Is this all there is to it?

Thanks.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JammerG wrote:
I realize this might not apply to many people, but through tomorrow Amazon will give Prime Members $10 off qualifying orders if they order via Alexa (aka their home voice-assistant device Echo.) A qualifying order must be $20+ and sold by Amazon.

NOTE -- getting Alexa to understand what you want can be a game in itself! Here's an abbreviated version of my interaction:

"Alexa, order For Sale card game".

~ "Would you like me to order Munchkin?"

"No"

~ "Would you like me to order Seven Wonders?"

"No. Cancel."

"Alexa, order Dice City game."

~ "I cannot order Dice City game, but I've added it to your shopping list."

"Why can't you order Dice City game?"

~ "Hmmm... I don't don't how to respond to that."

"Alexa, order Forbidden Desert".

~ "Would you like me to order Forbidden Island?"

"No"

"Alexa, order."

~ "What would you like me to order?"

"Search desert board game".

~ "Searching found the following results... Forbidden Desert Board Game. Should I order that?"

"Yes"

~ "OK. With the Prime Day discount your total..."

So... I finally got Forbidden Desert for $10.63 and to be delivered in 2 days. That'll do.

I don't think I would try this method to snag a lightning deal. shake

I had a nearly identical experience. I actually thought -- maybe this doesn't work for board games! Then I tried "San Juan Card Game" and got it for $13.00
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin Tracy
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tip It took a bit of effort (she kept suggesting Caverna because it was in my purchase history) but I just ordered Terra Mystica through Alexa and saved the $10!!

William is right, adding it to your shopping list does make it easier for Alexa to find, but actually I had the most luck when I said "Alexa, order Terra Mystica." I had initially been calling it "Terra Mystica Board Game" because that's what Amazon listed it as, but when I dropped the "board game" part of the title she found it no problem.

It's scheduled to arrive Wednesday, yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamal Green
United States
Studio City
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
Back on topic, is there criteria for a "qualifying item"?

- It must be SOLD by Amazon -- not just Fulfilled by Amazon.
- Item must be $20 or more.
- Deal ends tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Easton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much!

So, if she orders it, you automatically get the $10 off? That's pretty sweet.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin Tracy
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
Thanks very much!

So, if she orders it, you automatically get the $10 off? That's pretty sweet.

Kevin

Yes! She said something along the lines of "the total price with $10 discount is $48.95. Should I order it?" and I said yes.

Make sure your 1-click settings are linked to the address/card that you want to be used because that is how she charges/ships the item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fairly sure that being able to order board games by talking to my computer without getting up from the couch will cost me a lot more than the $10 it saves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks, i was having no luck getting alexa to understand raspberry pi, but when i followed your method of having it "search raspberry pi 3" it found the one i had wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alenen wrote:
I'm fairly sure that being able to order board games by talking to my computer without getting up from the couch will cost me a lot more than the $10 it saves

I put in a pin so my 9 year old son didn't start ordering random stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help but notice lately that the best prime offers either don't work for everybody for unclear reasons, or require some other component besides Amazon Prime, perhaps their Visa card or in this case Alexa/Echo. Its starting to get irritating and I think this might be my last year with Prime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered Elder Sign: Omens of Ice using this on Saturday. Alexa got it on the first request. Just arrived today. I'm off to Alaska.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an iPhone app for Alexa but it seems to be only useable with echo or dot. Does anyone know if there's a way to use Alexa without buying additional hardware?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ejtracer wrote:
I can't help but notice lately that the best prime offers either don't work for everybody for unclear reasons, or require some other component besides Amazon Prime, perhaps their Visa card or in this case Alexa/Echo. Its starting to get irritating and I think this might be my last year with Prime.

Well even if I get nothing from Prime day sale I'm still super satisfied with all the normal benefits from the subscription.

I don't think Amazon ever marketed Prime as means to get access to better promotions so I'm not sure what all the disappointment is about...I mean a one-time $10 off $20 that not everyone has access to is that big a deal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheddarpaw wrote:
ejtracer wrote:

Well even if I get nothing from Prime day sale I'm still super satisfied with all the normal benefits from the subscription.

I don't think Amazon ever marketed Prime as means to get access to better promotions so I'm not sure what all the disappointment is about...I mean a one-time $10 off $20 that not everyone has access to is that big a deal?

Its not a one time affair for myself. Roughly the last 5-6 really good promotions did not work with my account for some inexplicable reason, or I did not have the other component needed for the offer. Its been an ongoing disappointment for the last few months at my end of the Prime world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rhind
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Must. Stop. Buying. Games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just scooped Bora Bora for $19.01. Adding to my Feld collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Worked great for me. Although only when I said just the name of the game - nothing more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kennyj wrote:
I had a nearly identical experience. I actually thought -- maybe this doesn't work for board games! Then I tried "San Juan Card Game" and got it for $13.00

Thanks for the heads-up about San Juan! I got mine last night for $12.23. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Force
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffrhind wrote:

I just tried the same thing and it gave it to me for $17. Happy about the price (not sure why I got it for a few dollars less than you), but a little worried that my kids will accidentally order something (way too easy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Anderson
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JammerG wrote:
natsean wrote:

- Deal ends tomorrow.

I tried to order 1775:Rebellion. Alexa recognized it, and mentioned the Prime Day deal, but gave me the total without a $10 discount. It was a little confusing since she mentioned the deal, but since the game was not SOLD by Amazon, I did not get the discount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kiloforce wrote:
jeffrhind wrote:

I just tried the same thing and it gave it to me for $17. Happy about the price (not sure why I got it for a few dollars less than you), but a little worried that my kids will accidentally order something (way too easy).

Likely tax -- though the prices can fluctuate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
davethevenerable wrote:
JammerG wrote:
natsean wrote:

- Deal ends tomorrow.

I tried to order 1775:Rebellion. Alexa recognized it, and mentioned the Prime Day deal, but gave me the total without a $10 discount. It was a little confusing since she mentioned the deal, but since the game was not SOLD by Amazon, I did not get the discount.

Check the FAQ on the Alex Prime Day offer page - if I read correctly, these purchases will get credited with a $10 Amzn GC later instead of being immediately discounted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.