Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In at least a couple posts I have mentioned that there is very little of a "luck factor" effect in the game. While I still see that as so, I do think luck plays a litle larger role than first suggested.

While it is true that skillful planning outweighs luck, and in most attacks you either know you are going to inflict a "pow"(no luck enters into it at all) or you have either a 1 in 6 chance of inflicting a "pow", or a 1 in 3 chance of doing so. Then, there are sometimes a few other defensive attributes (Such as Star Knight's shield which has a 1 in 3 chance of blocking a hit)that come into play.

But, repeated playings have convinced me that the roll for initiative at the beginning of each round plays a larger role in the game than I had realized. Though play alternates between players each turn (Player A moves and plays one character, then Player B moves and plays one character, then Player A moves a second character, then player B... etc.) it is apparent to me that often who gets that initiative weighs fairly heavily on the success in the turn. This happens a lot.

Please do not construe this as a complaint. It definitely is not. In fact, rolling for initiative often becomes a rather tense situation, and the result causes you to either leap for joy or smack yourself in the head. I much prefer rolling for intiative than the alternative of having the same player order each turn. It works much, much better. But it is luck. Players with good tactical sense will take that into account when devising plans that likely will only work if they get the initiative next turn and weigh that against what is at risk if they fail to do so. Initiative is strictly a 50/50 proposition.

Very cool game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Estes
United States
La Vergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would estimate the overall skill-to-luck ratio to be about 85% skill to 15% luck. The game is definitely much more skill driven than Heroclix, Heroscape, Marvel Heroes, etc., yet laced with enough situational chance to amp up the dramatic tension and keep players on their toes.

Rolling for initiative, as I see it, is an absolute must. Otherwise, certain battle exchanges would run the risk of becoming so predictably tit-for-tat that their final outcomes would be a foregone conclusion.

Another interesting thing about initiative: I have discovered that in certain circumstances it is better lost than won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.