GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,459 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Great group fighting/war game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack O'Brien
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi everyone. I have an experienced gaming group and we're looking for a game where we can build armies or starting with an army is fine and then fight each other with them. We're also not looking for a game that goes for longer than two hours. I've been having a look and it seems like Kemet would tick all the boxes. What does everyone think of that game? And any other suggestions would be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kemet is a fun game where you pretty much fight each other from beginning to end. Playing time should be perfect. I only dislike, that it has a strong tendency for kingmaking.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack O'Brien
Australia
flag msg tools
Has anyone come up with house rules to overcome king making?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you like dice-based combat, Nexus Ops might work. It's all about buying units, moving them on the board, and fulfilling objectives for VPs (that require you to fight other players).

Titan is more purely all about building your army and fighting (and being the last player standing), but would immediately break your two hour requirement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jacko1235 wrote:
Has anyone come up with house rules to overcome king making?

Put a beat-down on anyone who does it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingmaking is a hazard in virtually all games of this type with more than two players, even highly abstracted ones like Zark City. (That's why my favorites for this genre are two-player games like BattleLore.)

Cyclades is not a fighty game in itself, but it may be that it would fit your bill when played with the Titans expansion, which increases the combat incentives and opportunities. It gets around the kingmaking dilemma by having players work in opposed teams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first read the OP, I assumed the request was for dudes-on-a-map or similar. But I'd also recommend Rune Age (a deckbuilder) for building armies and fighting, in the "Rune Wars" scenario of the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What player count are you looking for?

Game of Thrones the board game (But you want 5 or 6 players)

Axis and Allies (The various editions work better with different player numbers anywhere from 2-5 players)

Samurai Swords (Works with 3-5)

Memoir '44 is excellent (2 or 4 players or up to 8 for overlord mode if your happy to spend the $$$).

Kemet and Cyclades (with expansion). (I've only played these three players so can't recommend out of those numbers).

X-Wing Miniatures (Player count scalable, but it does add play time).

Apart from Memoir '44 Overlord Mode, all those games can easily be finished within two hours with experienced players. However you will note there will be quite a few comments where people complain about them taking much longer. Although my first game or two did take more than 2 hours, once all players know what they are doing, 2hours or less is quite achievable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack O'Brien
Australia
flag msg tools
Player count I'm looking for is at least four. I do have Memoir and it is a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos in the Old World would suit. First game might go longer than 2 hours, but should be fine after that. Not sure how readily available it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.