Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Aikido techniques consist of entering and turning movements that redirect the momentum of an opponent's attack, and a throw or joint lock that terminates the technique.

While Aikido is a martial art, the game I'm looking for doesn't necessarily have to have a combat theme. Any game that uses it's principle of redirecting an opponents momentum rather than just directly striking would suit me. Think outside the box, the mechanisms a game would use to achieve this is what I'm after.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willow Pearson
England
Leicester
flag msg tools
Never drop a crate!
mbmbmbmbmb
Assign moves/actions a "momentum" value", that works either as a bonus or malus depending on the reaction of the other player(s). High-risk, high-reward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I used to love aikido. Back in the eighties and nineties it was one of my favorite past-times. I don't know what game would exemplify it, though. You would need one player to be an attacker (uke) so that the defender (tori) could redirect the attack. And no one wants to be an uke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
I used to love aikido. Back in the eighties and nineties it was one of my favorite past-times. I don't know what game would exemplify it, though. You would need one player to be an attacker (uke) so that the defender (tori) could redirect the attack. And no one wants to be an uke.

I'm not sure others would see it that way, but this is very much the feeling I get when playing Friday, a solo game. As the protagonist, I'm facing a series of attacks (hazards and pirates in game terms), and honing my skills as I deflect them. You could say I re-direct their energy because when I defeat hazards, they become Robinson cards which I can employ against future hazards (and pirates). The entire game is a long series of tests, and as I move from green to yellow hazards, then to red and finally to pirates it is a bit like acquiring belts as my skills advance.

(I'll note that I signed my children up at the local dojo to train in Aikido a very long time ago, and I think it was a very positive experience for them. I'd recommend it to other parents looking for activities that might yield long term benefits to their children.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul McKenzie
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon Tides, works both mechanically (it reminds me of both judo and fencing) and thematically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A very loose suggestion might be Stronghold (2nd edition). It may not be what you're looking for, but it's the one that came to my mind.

It's a 2p only game where one side is trying to breach the walls of the defender's castle. However, as the attacker takes more actions, the defender gets more as well. This results in a sort of attack and parry exchange, where the attacker deploys units / casts spells / builds siege engines and the defender attempts to allocate resources and units to sabotage the attacker / rebuff attacks. In short, the strength of the attacker becomes the strength of the defender.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, keep 'em coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mavericklancer wrote:
A very loose suggestion might be Stronghold (2nd edition). It may not be what you're looking for, but it's the one that came to my mind.

It's a 2p only game where one side is trying to breach the walls of the defender's castle. However, as the attacker takes more actions, the defender gets more as well. This results in a sort of attack and parry exchange, where the attacker deploys units / casts spells / builds siege engines and the defender attempts to allocate resources and units to sabotage the attacker / rebuff attacks. In short, the strength of the attacker becomes the strength of the defender.

Until Dawn is a 1 night zombie game, where for every action you take, the zombies also get one. HARD game though.

Level 7 [Omega Protocol] is like Aliens, and IIRC the player running the aliens gets actions based on the fear smell (actions) of the other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of role selection games like Puerto Rico, San Juan and Race for the Galaxy, where leaching is an important strategy. In these games, if you're good, you can set up your opponents to make moves that help you more than them. In a way, it feels like you are using their "energy" against them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Martial Arts: The Card Game claims to include aikido as one of the styles. No idea about the play though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Jones
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
You are who you choose to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yomi (second edition) is a martial arts contest with specific characters to play. There is an element of turning moves around.

Puzzle Strike (Third Edition) (By the same publisher) is a chip building game where you push gems across to your opponent. In turn, one may block the gems or take them to combine them and send them back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:

Level 7 [Omega Protocol] is like Aliens, and IIRC the player running the aliens gets actions based on the fear smell (actions) of the other players.

That's one that came to mind. Another similar one is Myth which has the same concept of the more actions you take the quicker the "opponent" gets to act. In that case though it is all players against the game itself so I'm not sure that fits what the OP is looking for.

A more esoteric recommendation would be Hull Breach!. I've only played it a couple of times but in retrospect it does remind me of the old samurai movies where the two warriors are facing off against each other w/ just the slightest movements trying to suss each other out. Then in one or two engagements the game is over and you've either built an overwhelming force to crush your opponent w/ your first attack or they deflected your attack and now you are vulnerable to their retaliation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.