Subject: Insane by Glamour rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Theodore Thompson
United States
Elko
NV
flag msg tools
Not sure what to say. There are so many cards now that throw a spell in your lap at random. Chances are, it'll be a glamour spell if you play with all expansions in. Chances are you'll pay a sanity on a reckoning for your glamours. Chances are you'll go down by sanity.

I'm just not seeing the thrill of playing a caster anymore when you get so many glamours that will kill you.

I wonder if that is what everyone else is seeing with "all in" expansions to EH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Are you standin' yet?
badge
Artwork: My Daughter
mbmbmbmbmb
Zuxius wrote:
Not sure what to say. There are so many cards now that throw a spell in your lap at random. Chances are, it'll be a glamour spell if you play with all expansions in. Chances are you'll pay a sanity on a reckoning for your glamours. Chances are you'll go down by sanity.

I'm just not seeing the thrill of playing a caster anymore when you get so many glamours that will kill you.

I wonder if that is what everyone else is seeing with "all in" expansions to EH.

I do cringe often when I get a Glamour spell thrown my way - it is always a gamble, especially when it is the one off spell a non-caster draws... usually means there will be a price to pay. I am often found cheering for the low roll result so I can discard it and be done.

Overall though, with all expansions in, I don't see this happening an more than at a normal frequency - whatever that is. In other words, it doesn't happen more than I would expect it to. That being said, that doesn't make it any less annoying... Then again, annoying is a central theme to the game I suppose.

OSG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theodore Thompson
United States
Elko
NV
flag msg tools
I agree that the spells are cringe worthy. I'm just thinking that the spells are seldom of use. There are a few like the Markings of Isis, but others are really weird like Astral Travel. It seems if you are a half decent caster, you always succeed at the reckoning, and the best result on some of the cards is that you lose one sanity. I'm wondering if it would be a good option to have an automatic fail choice, as to be rid of the things.

Once you get like 3-4 glamours and try to heal yourself every so often, there's really no keeping up with it. You're hosed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll agree with you on the problems. On the plus side, I think FFG has realized their problem; the glamour spells in the most recent expansion seem to be somewhat usable. They're still a death trap for a mid-range caster (one who's got enough lore to make a single success most of the time, but that's all, and isn't bad enough to lose the spell).

If it bothers you, either take the really stupid ones out, or make a house rule that when you gain a spell from the deck, once you see what it is, you can make a will check to discard it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aurelian
United Kingdom
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Glamours do seem quite weak compared to other spells, I'm normally disappointed when an investigator pulls one although they do provide variety and occasional quirky interest.

It's often a relief to fail the reckoning test and discard the card, just to remove the risk of future sanity or health loss. I doubt that was the designers' original intent.

The balance between spell types improved slightly with the most recent SoC expansion, so hopefully FFG will now continue to produce a higher proportion of non-Glamour spells to redress the balance. Any future Glamours could be made a bit more worthwhile - perhaps by making their reckoning effects more positive and less of a drain on investigators with low/medium lore.

The way I play is never to look at the back of cards until they crop up in actual play. When Glamour spells were first introduced I thought their main effect was rather weak, and so I was looking forward to the strong reckoning effect on the reverse needed to counterbalance it. After several games of waiting to find the "good" version of each Glamour spell I gradually realised I was wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zuxius wrote:

I play a simple house rule that avoids a giant pile of spell cards and reduces the chance of drawing a Glamour spell to 1 in 3. Divide the spell deck into the 3 types. Then, if you need to draw a random spell roll 1 die:
1,2 Ritual
3,4 Incantation
5,6 Glamour
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, in Arkham Horror, spells were much less useful AND they nearly always had a sanity cost.

That being said, I get where you're coming from. I take the unstable energy and the whole 'mastering things that we do not understand' concept and feel pretty okay about the likelihood dabbling in sorcery causes bad things to happen to you. Heck, half the investigators attempting spells have no training in magical arts. They're just sort of winging it.

Imho, spellcasters significantly outshine "fighters" by a mile, and often even "researchers" (arcane insight). Lore is used to close gates, and that is usually reason enough to pick a spell-user over other options half the time.

Besides, you can always trade the glamour off to someone who has better chances of casting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Are you standin' yet?
badge
Artwork: My Daughter
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
Besides, you can always trade the glamour off to someone who has better chances of casting it.

True and I always PLAN to do so.

But why is it that in this game the more items you want to trade the less opportunities you have to do so?

Either not in the same location or not efficient to use the action... Just shows how tight the action/deliverable balance really is...

OSG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that 'tightness' and it's true. I have trouble even getting finn/minh/tommy to effectively use their abilities too for the same reason. I almost always opt to have Minh just get an ally rather than try to follow someone around. Too much ground needs covered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same. I can understand if my non-spellcasters lose a sanity here and there...but when my casters with 3 or even 4 Lore generally get 1 success and lose sanity for it, it seems really weird. Even if they get 2+ success, usually nothing really good comes of it, or they might still lose sanity.

Most of the glamor spells look good on paper, but a lot of times they aren't that useful.

Voice of Ra is too expensive to use, there is no net gain from it (1 action = 1 rest).
Force Learning is situational since you can rarely predict when you will improve skills.
Enchanting Grace: health loss is nowhere near as important as sanity.
Azure Flame generally not useful for spellcasters
Enchant Weapon: How many monsters have physical resistance? Reroll is ok but again few spellcasters get into fights
Alter Fate: meh. This should've been trade at range.

Astral Travel, Mark of Isis, Mind's Eye are fairly good though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meles meles
Poland
flag msg tools
Azure Flame is either for strong mages, or for VERY competent mages. 3 out of 4 variants have very nice flip effects.

--------
Are you sure you play with Forsaken Lore ? Forsaken Lore brings base spells up to 4 copies each. If you do not own Forsaken Lore but have some other expansion, your expansion spells have 4 copies but base spells have only 2 copies. THAT is the reason for too many glamours. They literally happen twice as often as base spells.

One solution is buying Forsaken Lore, the other is taking out excess copies of spells so that each spell only comes in 2 variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.