Rules FAQ and Clarity
This section will be updated constantly as people ask questions, the individual question will be answered, and the answer will be posted up here as well.
Q: Why not have a bigger rule that goes over all literally everything?
A: It was never meant to be a rule intensive game. The intention was, and always has been for this to be the central base copy, and provide online support for everything else, including other variations as they get developed.
Q: Does a "passive" card ability have to be paid for as an action (assumed not, but the rules don't state it.)
A: Passive abilities are applied without an action being used.
Q. Is there a limit to the number of times a cards passive ability can be used? For example I believe it was the "farm" card that said to forage using a d20 (meaning you could potentially gain 20 food at one time. Can a player just keeping staying there turn after turn and use the passive ability of the card without penalty. AND if a person has for example 4 wastelanders standing in the same square do all of them get the passive ability of the card?
A. The card in question is still exhausted after being foraged and has the famine token placed on it. The bonus stops being applied once the option to forage can no longer be taken. Yes, it does allow for a great likelihood of getting ammo 1 token.
Q. How in the hell are you supposed to keep track of what inventory belongs on what wastelander with 4 folks playing and each of them having multiple wastelanders... 30 plus characters on the board and you don't really have a way to put the "food" on your person, especially with "horder" wastelanders. and "the survivors" card that counts as two characters. Perhaps this could be solved with character sheets but that would get problematic as well.
A. We are currently working on character sheet to make some of that easier. Originally we had wanted to do custom slotted stands to allow for a slot just for food tokens. Just wasn't feasible.
Q. And while we are on the subject the rules don't define the max number of wastelanders a player can have. IS there a max? I say this because the player bases are color coded.. so what if I have more wastelanders than I have color bases?
A: Their is no max Wastelanders you can have. But if you run out of card stands you can double equip Wastelanders to stands, or buy more from your local card and gaming shop.
Q. What happens when you run out of tokens (ie you have used all your food tokens but need more) Just print more out? or are you considered "out of resources" for the game or until someone discards them?
A. We wanted food tokens to be finite as a way to control for game-length. That said, if a player wants to print more tokens and have a longer game, that is fine, just so long as they realize that more food = longer game..
Q. How does one "define" the playing area. How big is it supposed to be, or how small? How does this size change based on the number of people playing the game?
A. Literally by mapping out a closed area with the other players, and then placing their cards in the area. Each additional player should increase the playing area by about what would be a width and length of 2 cards.
Q. After you have successfully recruited someone, do you have to pay to "feed" them during the same turn? The rules state that you can't use their ability on the same turn you recruit them, so does this mean you don't have to feed them as well?
A. Still have to feed them. We wanted the decision to recruit to have immediate consequences, rather than gains.
Q. On the "event cards" do you start playing them on the 4th turn regardless of those turn that is. or did you mean to say 4th ROUND. IE it goes around the table 4 times and then the event cards come into play.
A. The intention was 4th round.
Q. Can you elect to allow one of your wastelanders to starve even if that wastelander has food. Doing so would cause that wastelander to drop their items which could be picked up by another player.
A. A Wastelander cannot be elected to be killed off that way. That said, their are cards and placements that allow for Wastelanders to be 'offed'.
- Last edited Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:42 pm (Total Number of Edits: 2)
- Posted Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:13 pm
TWO final questions:
1. Just want to make sure I understand you correctly. IF a passive ability on a card allows for foraging for food, once that is activated by the FIRST person that lands on it, it is now considered used up and a famine token is placed on it.
2. OK so I get that the players can define the play area, but what is the RECOMMENDED area as a number of cards based on your play testing or original design? For example 2 players should be a minimum of a 10 x 10 card square. 3 players should be ... 4 players should be ... etc. etc.
Finally, I totally get that you just put "quick start" rules in your game but WHERE are the COMPLETE rules? If they are on your website what is the link? OR for that matter why have you not uploaded the COMPLETE rules as a file to this site?
1. Regarding the food generation placements, if the passive increases the overall forage value, it is only meant to be applied once. If the passive generates a set value of food this is indefinite. Example being the ranch card allowing forage to be with a 20 sided dice. That's a one and done passive. Whereas the park can always be foraged.
2. If you've two players, its suggestive that you have at least a 4x4 map. I personally suggest planing around a 7x7 grid, or variation so that the total area is less than or equal to the number of placement cards you have.
3. I think your confusing the a couple of issues. We are running an active FAQ for rule clarity on THE rules. We decided to intentionally have after we found that regardless of depth, rule clarity would still be desired. Their is no bigger rule book, but that doesn't mean this one was meant to be complete. I've gone ahead and posted the last rule version we had that was more padded and will work to hotfix the problem.
- Last edited Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:33 am (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:11 am
First off, loving this game! It has become a big hit with a few in my group who want to buy. One of them wants to acquire copies for his shop even!
Couple of minor questions we have.
1. When it comes to placement, or moving, or firing a gun, does this happen only in vertical/horizontal? Or can things be placed, people moved, guns fired DIAGONAL as well? This is something that can change the game a bit and we have tried both ways, but we would like to know the official ruling on it.
2. If a giant battle happens, say 3 wastelanders vs. 3 other wastelanders, does the attacking party role the D20 just once? Or do they do it for EVERY wastelander?
Think thats all we have come up with after 10 or so plays.
Thanks for the clarifications when you get to it.
As I said, loving the game and really glad I backed this project!