Subject: Credits: rulebook vs cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
During our weekend game of Adv Civ, I made use of a spreadsheet I put together to help calculate the cost of civilization card purchases (taking into account credits). At one point in the game, I held up the game for a good fifteen minutes or so trying to figure out my purchase. Using my spreadsheet, the cost was coming out to 270 points, but when I double-checked by looking at the cards I already had (because it was the first time the spreadsheet had been used, and I wasn't sure it wasn't buggy), I kept getting 275 points. It made a big difference, because I could pay 270 but I couldn't pay 275. For the life of me, I couldn't work out why the numbers were coming out different.

Eventually, I switched to my worksheet containing the credit table, and compared it to the back of the rulebook. They looked the same. So I openned the rulebook and read through the civilization card attributes there, and compared the credits to the back of the book. That worked too. And this gave me 270 points. So I turned over my cards and read through what credits they gave there. And that's when I discovered that the rulebook and the cards differed.

I was attempting to purchase Law. According to the rulebook, Music and Drama & Poetry each give 5 credit towards Law. (I had one of these, but not the other.) On the cards, no mention of a credit towards Law is made. These cards are Arts cards, and should give credit towards all other Arts cards, but Law is a Civic, not an Art.

I brought it up with the other players, and we decided to go with the rulebook. Anybody know if this is correct?

I don't know if there are any other discrepencies between the cards and the rulebook. I should check Mathematics, because it is the other Art which gives 5 credit for Law (but it is a Science as well as an Art).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Credits: rulebook vs cards
Wraith (#23018),
Arts give 5 credit towards Law, crafts give 10 credits each towards Democracy and Monotheism, and sciences give 20 credits each towards Theology and Philosophy.

Interestingly enough, I can't find the rule for this anywhere in the Advanced Civilization book. However, 17.5.2 in the original Civilization rulebook has this rule (minus Monotheism and Theology). I guess they forgot to include it in the new rulebook so the worksheet on the back is correct.

My worksheet has Roadbuilding listed as being 160 not 140 is that the same on all of them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Cavedog_pdx (#23024),
Check rules 32.541, 32.612, 32.622. These rules specify that Mathematics, Drama and Poetry and Music respectively give 5 credits towards Law. The other two arts give even bigger bonuses towards Law. (This is the Avalon Hill version of the Adv Civ rulebook, BTW.) It's just the cards that don't mention the 5 credits.

For Roadbuilding, you mean the worksheet on the back of the rulebook? Mine says 160 at the top, but 140 at the side. I believe it is 140 on the cards, and in the rules as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhhh okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
(I know the thread is quite old, but what the...)

I just noticed one interesting thing:
MYSTICISM is the only Arts card which does not give a bonus to LAW. (In Civilization it did.) Why? Is this intended by the designers or did they just forget that Mysticism was an Arts card?
Hm. I tend to go with the game as written (And not give the bonus), but I think it´s strange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Witch! Necromancer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.