1 Posts

Desert Fox Deluxe» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Very preliminary comments rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Doran
United States
flag msg tools
Okay, so the rules (32 pages), and the Support material (31pages)have been online for awhile. Anyone reading this should note that as of this date I do not have a hardcopy of the game, so all I am commenting on is my reading of the rules, the Support material, and the online support of the developer Chris Perello).

The Support material is the best designer notes I have ever read. I do not agree with every choice made by Mr. Perello, but he is very clear about why he made the design choices he made, and his reasons are always cogent. The notes include a 10 page essay on the changes from the original Desert Fox and and his reasons for each change. There is also a complete pictorial layout of the orders of battle for each of the 5 armies that participated. Finally there is another pictorial section showina all the original counters together with the new ones and a discussion of many of the changes in the countermix.

Mr. Perello has been very active in responding to clarification requests, including one offline by email from yours truly. So far, except for the three map and four counter errata described on page 2 of the rules, I have not seen actual errata. There have been some clarification questions, and there may be a one word erratum in an example of play.

The rules hold together very well. The original Desert Fox is one of my five favorite games, so as I awaited this project, I hoped that any changes would not be major surgery...that the revision would just 1. Improve the graphics, 2 make the map more accurate, 3 upgrade the orders of battle and 4 make the OBs more granular ( i.e. More units). I don't have the map yet, but the other three things I hoped for I think have been accomplished.

But this revision has done more. The odd thing for me is that, as I read the rules and supporting material, I have come to think that Mr. Perello was right that the changes were all needed in order to effectively merge the original two games (and the Fox Killed supplement) into one full campaign game on the entire North African war in WWII. I want to get counters on map before I really commit to this heresy, but right now I think this might be a genuine improvement on the original.

That's all I have to say for the moment. Let me push some counters around, and then I may re-evaluate these comments.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.