GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,813 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Years we played what seems wrong:

Let's assume You enter a space, where You have evading ability (Dwarf in the Hills, Elf in the Woods...) and in that space there is a strong monster (i.e. a STR 7 Dragon) and
a treasure (lets say 2 bags of gold).

In the beginning we played:
You can evade the Monster (because of Your ability), but
You could NOT take the treasure (we assumed it was somehow "guarded" by the monster - what made sense...

If I am right, correct play according to present rules is:
If all enemy Monsters are either defeated or - like in this case - evaded, You CAN take the treasure - correct?

I guess many played wrong for some time, but the rule, that You can
evade Enemies "2" (Monsters, Animals, Dragons" and "3" Ghosts and later still
contact "4" Foreigners, take "5" Objects & Followers or visit "6" Locations was there already in 2nd Ed (and probably 1st Ed).

Any Experiences concerning "wrong Play"?


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Dello Iacono
Italy
Monza
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the wrong way for 33 years shake
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct.

Another thing to note, though. If an ability says you do not have to fight an enemy, that is not the same as "evading". For example, Animals and Dragons will not attack the Minstrel, but they don't count as "evaded" and will still guard any treasure they have.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
You are correct.

Another thing to note, though. If an ability says you do not have to fight an enemy, that is not the same as "evading". For example, Animals and Dragons will not attack the Minstrel, but they don't count as "evaded" and will still guard any treasure they have.


Interesting. This is new to me.

So there is a difference between
"Slipping through Your enemies in a Landscape You know by heart"
(i.e. Elf in Woods, Dwarf in hills...) - this represents HIDING/MOVING HIDDEN
or
"Meeting non-hostile Monsters, which do not attack You, but nonetheless guard the objects in their space as being theirs"
(i.e. Ministrel meeting Dragons, Hobgoblin meeting Hobgoblins - in 2nd Ed)
- this represents PERSONAL ATITUDES of Monsters

Makes some sense
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
You are correct.

Another thing to note, though. If an ability says you do not have to fight an enemy, that is not the same as "evading". For example, Animals and Dragons will not attack the Minstrel, but they don't count as "evaded" and will still guard any treasure they have.


OK, so they might guard Objects ("5"), but do they prevent from visitin strangers ("4") or Locations ("6") ??
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcin marcinek
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Reinhard Sabel wrote:
OK, so they might guard Objects ("5"), but do they prevent from visitin strangers ("4") or Locations ("6") ??
An evaded enemy/creature does not stand in the way of picking objects, followers, meeting strangers, denizens or places.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Szatany wrote:
Reinhard Sabel wrote:
OK, so they might guard Objects ("5"), but do they prevent from visitin strangers ("4") or Locations ("6") ??
An evaded enemy/creature does not stand in the way of picking objects, followers, meeting strangers, denizens or places.


I agree fully. But note, what Aaron Tubb wrote above...

that Monsters who ignore You - like Dragon & Ministrel - are treated differently, and that they do not attack You, but still guard "their" (is it theirs? - I do not agree...) Treasure

And my Question was, if - assuming Aarons assumption ist correct - will thios prevent the Player from visiting Locations or Strangers.

I would Play like You say (Evades enemies do not prevent contakt to Strangers, Objects and Location) and that we proceed in the SAME way, when entering spaces, where Monsters are benevolent ot us or ignore us...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reinhard Sabel wrote:
Szatany wrote:
Reinhard Sabel wrote:
OK, so they might guard Objects ("5"), but do they prevent from visitin strangers ("4") or Locations ("6") ??
An evaded enemy/creature does not stand in the way of picking objects, followers, meeting strangers, denizens or places.


I agree fully. But note, what Aaron Tubb wrote above...

And my Question was, if - assuming Aarons assumption ist correct - will thios prevent the Player from visiting Locations or Strangers.


If you don't _evade_ the monsters, then you stop encountering anything.
In cases like the Minstrel, this also prevents you from encountering Strangers/places/etc...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:


If you don't _evade_ the monsters, then you stop encountering anything.
In cases like the Minstrel, this also prevents you from encountering Strangers/places/etc...


To stay with the Example of the Ministrel:
"Animals and Dragons will not attack You, but You may attack them"
Why would this prevent me from visiting a Stranger ("4") or visiting a Location ("6"). Or even taking Objects, Followers ("5")?

Because of the writing "if all Monsters... are either vanquished or evaded..." ?

I found it Logical, that there are Characters who

(a) Have the Ability to Evade in certain Landscapes (Dwarf in Hills, Elf in Woods...) and others
(b) Have the Ability to ignore/evade certain Monsters (Ministrel with Animals & Dragons, Necromancer with Spirits...)

Wouldn't this be a clear ruling? But what is correct according to the rules....?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reinhard Sabel wrote:
Because of the writing "if all Monsters... are either vanquished or evaded..." ?

...But what is correct according to the rules....?


The Official FAQ
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Talism...
"Q3: The Minstrel draws a Dragon and an Object in the Ruins. If the Minstrel does not attack the Dragon, does it count as evading so he can take the Object?
A: No. Choosing not to attack an Animal or Dragon does not count as evading. If there are any Enemies on the space and the character did not defeat or evade them all, then he may not take any Objects on the space"

The question only asked about Objects, but it stands to reason that if you can't get Objects, then you shouldn't get any Strangers/Places either.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:


The Official FAQ
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Talism...
"Q3: The Minstrel draws a Dragon and an Object in the Ruins. If the Minstrel does not attack the Dragon, does it count as evading so he can take the Object?
A: No. Choosing not to attack an Animal or Dragon does not count as evading. If there are any Enemies on the space and the character did not defeat or evade them all, then he may not take any Objects on the space"

The question only asked about Objects, but it stands to reason that if you can't get Objects, then you shouldn't get any Strangers/Places either.


That is clear - thank You. Let us assume, the Ministrel is forced to Play on his fiddle without interuption , so he cannot visit i.e. the healer ("4"), search & take an object ("5") or visit i.e. the temple ("6")...
From a story-telling Point of view - the other "ruling" (that one would treat ignoring like evading, and that visiting etc. is allowed) seems still symphatic to me - perhaps we will Play that way.

But thanks for this clarification
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.