GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,281 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

King of Tokyo» Forums » General

Subject: Using the redesign together with the original? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anton Klink
Estonia
Tartu
Tartu maakond
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the redesign, I see that I would love to use both. Has anyone tried it or could duplicates of some cards create problems in the game? If not, I would just shuffle all the cards together (I don't mind the different backs) and I don't see having similar monsters on the table as a problem either (unless I want to use the Power Up cards). Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It shouldn't really matter, but if you combine both upgrade decks, you have basically two of every card in there. You run the risk of shenanigans like someone managing to get 4 extra heads and two of the cards that let you mimic an upgrade so they get +6 dice!

Even the power up cards wont be a problem (eventually) as there are plans to release a power up expansion for the new set soon. It would just sideline a couple of the characters until that comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Klink
Estonia
Tartu
Tartu maakond
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume using the rule of not being able to have two identical cards (which in this case would be cards by the same name) should get rid of the above mentioned risk. Not being able to field duplicate cards is quite a common rule anyway so it should be easy to keep track of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sir_tonyx wrote:
could duplicates of some cards create problems in the game?

I would stick to just 1 deck worth of cards.
Most cards would be fine, but some would be a bit much if the same player got both copies (and/or a Mimic or two).

And then there's the issue of all the extra "+VP > Take Damage" cards that no one wants to buy potentially clogging the deck.

sir_tonyx wrote:
Not being able to field duplicate cards is quite a common rule anyway

What.
No, seriously. What.

I have literally never heard of this houserule.

And for good reason.

There are a grand total of _2_ cards that are duplicated.
There are 2 Extra Heads.
There are 2 Evacuation Orders.

And Evacuation Orders is a Discard, so it's not like you can really have 'doubles in play' to begin with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Klink
Estonia
Tartu
Tartu maakond
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, what I meant is "no duplicates" is a common _official_ rule in many _other_ card games anyway ("Race for the Galaxy" and "7 Wonders" come to mind just off the top of my head), so instituting a "no duplicates" houserule in KOT would not be much of a stretch in comparison.

The likelihood of all cards appearing stays exactly the same and the probabilities don't change if you mix two packs together. There would only be an issue of some cards being useless for some players, if there is a "no duplicates" rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coran Sloss
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I do not see much reason to combine the two sets as the gameplay is identical and only 2 monsters are any different.

As for Iello releasing a new version of Powerup, that release is for King of New York, not the new King of Tokyo. It is intended to bring evolutions to King of New York but also allows the new character and all the King of New York characters to be used with the old King of Tokyo Powerup expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danni Loe
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
publisher
Associate Marketing Manager
badge
Renegade Game Studios
mbmbmbmbmb
We are also releasing a new version of King of Tokyo: Power Up, but we don't have a concrete date for that. We're hoping for the end of 2016, but even that is shaky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Klink
Estonia
Tartu
Tartu maakond
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dracomageat wrote:
I do not see much reason to combine the two sets as the gameplay is identical and only 2 monsters are any different.

My reason is to see more variety in design, as both the cards and monsters look different in both editions. I cannot choose one over the other as I think both designs look excellent and since I am unable to choose, I would choose both.

Have you ever had two (or more) gilfriends and instead of choosing just one, you dated them all? Well, this is not much different : )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Langhorne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"I will take love wherever I find it, and offer it to everyone who will take it. Seek knowledge from those wiser, and teach those who wish to learn." -Duane Allman
mbmbmbmbmb
daloester wrote:
We are also releasing a new version of King of Tokyo: Power Up, but we don't have a concrete date for that. We're hoping for the end of 2016, but even that is shaky.

Will the new Power Up cards include a unique deck for the Target exclusive Baby Gigazaur or would you have to use his Dad's deck? If it does I'd be tempted to buy the new target version since it would add 3 new monsters to the mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danni Loe
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
publisher
Associate Marketing Manager
badge
Renegade Game Studios
mbmbmbmbmb
We're not doing a Target version for Power Up, so there will only be adult Gigazaur power ups. However, you can totally use those for the baby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rivera
United States
Union City
California
flag msg tools
I actually have two copies of the original KOT (found a super cheap used one on ebay that even included a 2nd power up! Expansion)

Ended mixing in both copies of decks and it's been really awesome...we've been playing that way for years now.

The ability to have 4 extra heads, though rare and extremely expensive, is just a cool thing to have!

There are a bunch of cards I decided not to have duplicates of to avoid complications, if I have time tomorrow I can try and go through the deck and see what exactly is in there....but don't be afraid to give it a shot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sir_tonyx wrote:
The likelihood of all cards appearing stays exactly the same and the probabilities don't change if you mix two packs together. There would only be an issue of some cards being useless for some players, if there is a "no duplicates" rule.
sir_tonyx wrote:
My reason is to see more variety in design, as both the cards and monsters look different in both editions. I cannot choose one over the other as I think both designs look excellent and since I am unable to choose, I would choose both.

You are working against yourself at this point.

You want variety, but don't want duplicates, and you admit the probabilities are (relatively) unaffected.

I would just recommend keeping the decks separate, but switching them out every so many games.
Then you still have visual variety, and don't have to houserule things to fix potential problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Klink
Estonia
Tartu
Tartu maakond
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, let me specify even further - I don't mean duplicates in the main deck (I though that was obvious), but duplicates purchased by the same player which might break the game. It is a common rule in many card games (like the ones I also mentioned). There are duplicates abound in the deck, you simply cannot purchase another one for yourself if you already have one in front of you. I simply want visual variety but not duplicates for _one player_ which might break the game. How am I working against myself with that? I assume there would only be a few such cards which could either be removed from the deck or simply houseruled not to have duplicates of.

From other comments I get the feeling that mixing two packs together would not really be a big problem, which is exactly what I was asking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sir_tonyx wrote:
I don't mean duplicates in the main deck...but duplicates purchased by the same player

Fully aware of that.

sir_tonyx wrote:
I simply want visual variety but not duplicates for _one player_ which might break the game. How am I working against myself with that?
...From other comments I get the feeling that mixing two packs together would not really be a big problem, which is exactly what I was asking.

Short version: mixing 2 decks will, generally, not cause any notable problems. But it won't provide much for actual advantages either. Ultimately, you are free to do what you want.

Longer version:
What do you, potentially, gain from mixing 2 decks?
*Visual Variety
*Possibility of multiple of the same card in play

You're already going to house-rule away (part) of point #2, which is just countering one house-rule with another (and also causing the already duplicate Extra Head to be extra nerfed).
I also feel that there are currently enough cards in the "don't (usually) want to buy" category that adding duplicates that I -can't- buy won't help anything.

So what about the 'visual variety'?
How many cards do you actually see in a typical game? For me, it's usually about 20, maybe 30 -at most-.
So at -best- you are only seeing half of the deck of cards in any one game.
Doubling the deck size won't increase the per game -visual- variety any, but will likely decrease the per game -functional- variety.
There's also the issue of having to shuffle ~130 cards before every game instead of ~60+. One deck-worth is pretty easy to shuffle. 2 decks at the same time is either tricky, or requires shuffling separate stacks and recombining them to get a good shuffle.

My counter suggestion of "just alternate decks" prevents any and all potential problems, while still providing just as much visual variety.

Again, you are free to do what you want. You asked for opinions and this is mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Klink
Estonia
Tartu
Tartu maakond
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am certainly not afraid of shuffling. Having played "Race for the Galaxy" with all expansions and everything sleeved, the main deck was a monstrous tower that had to be split in two just to keep it from toppling over. Shuffling that thing was not easy, but worth the effort.

You are right about not seeing too many cards in one game anyway, but what can I do, am a sucker for good presentation and design : )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.