Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are people who are winning getting out all six additional workers, or are they winning with lesser amounts of workers?

I'm thinking it's like Age of Empires, your goal is to get out the maximum number of workers possible to boom your economy. (And keep building enough housing to allow your workers to be added) Workers are also useful for holding territories, which are worth points at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
Des Moines Area Boardgamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it MIGHT boil down to what boards/faction you have, but for what its worth I am 6-0 in 2/3/4/5 player games and I always max out my work force. Sometimes faster then others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JE SUIS VENU. J'AI VU. JE SUIS PARTI.
msg tools
badge
Innovan wrote:
Workers are also useful for holding territories, which are worth points at the end.

If you go the Mr./Ms. Popular route, that's some big money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rakstad
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In almost all of my games, I've put 5 workers total out there (2 to start +3 produced). This is the max you can put out without incurring costs to popularity. Although, I want to try putting all 8 to get major production in one turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Galton
Canada
Barrie
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last game I played it ended with me winning with only 6 workers out. Ended the game with a flashy 3 star jump using combat and my objective (which paired very nicely). Really it all depends on what strategy you and your opponents are aiming for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Petersen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
I won with only three workers and three mechs, but I was very popular and had been super conservative with my money. My group was also unable to stop me from getting 3 encounters which was like getting 6 because of my faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JE SUIS VENU. J'AI VU. JE SUIS PARTI.
msg tools
badge
thatach wrote:
I won with only three workers and three mechs, but I was very popular and had been super conservative with my money. My group was also unable to stop me from getting 3 encounters which was like getting 6 because of my faction.

Polania rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm planning on doing much production, I usually sprint for the maximum number that doesn't cost me popularity to produce. I hang out there until I'm either not producing regularly, or the game reaches that tipping point where I'm going to need the star / territories the rest might provide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danwarr
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I've averaged around 5 workers per game in my plays, but that number certainly varies based upon strategy. 5 seems to be optimal from a production perspective simply because it only pulls from your Power Pool on a Produce action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've won with 4 workers, the base 2 and 2 additional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is interesting to me that as more people are getting more plays under their belts the number of different strategies which it is possible to win the game with seems to be growing. This game has a surprisingly deep set of strategies for one with such simple rules. Can't wait to see the added strategic depth from the two expansion factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Yuen
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
I've won both games I've played with five workers, since I don't like taking the substantial hit to popularity with 6+ workers. It really depends on what your strategy is, and what's the bottom action of that mat. If I max out the bottom action early I may be less tempted to produce.

Sometimes you just can't spare the actions/manpower to make more workers, or it could be that territories are too hotly contested.

That said, I can definitely see myself trying to go for a many-worker strategy sometime soon, maybe I'll try it later tonight haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
Canada
flag msg tools
As far as I understand, the biggest reason to field extra workers isn't so much extra production, as extra territory control. Although alternating produce with power action (plus monument) can create insane amount of resources for extra scoring in only a few turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unonameless wrote:
the biggest reason to field extra workers isn't so much extra production, as extra territory control.

Resources count also. Every two resources you have are cashed in as part of end game scoring, and while there is a limited amount of territory, there is no limit on the amount of resources. Sitting eight workers onto production and spamming resources turn after turn is a valid strategy ...if you can hold the space(s) they're piling your stockpile onto.

They're both valid: Spread out your workers to hold territory at 3-5 coins each at end game, or concentrate your workers and spam resources into a defensible stockpile worth 1-3 coins per two resources at end game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
Canada
flag msg tools
Innovan wrote:
They're both valid: Spread out your workers to hold territory at 3-5 coins each at end game, or concentrate your workers and spam resources into a defensible stockpile worth 1-3 coins per two resources at end game.

Or maybe both - you can produce on 4 hexes every turn with mill, and still hold quite a bit of territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradly Billingsley
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I won with all the workers out, but I put them out purely for the star. They never moved off the village they were placed on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Holly
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Innovan wrote:
unonameless wrote:
the biggest reason to field extra workers isn't so much extra production, as extra territory control.

Resources count also. Every two resources you have are cashed in as part of end game scoring, and while there is a limited amount of territory, there is no limit on the amount of resources. Sitting eight workers onto production and spamming resources turn after turn is a valid strategy ...if you can hold the space(s) they're piling your stockpile onto.

Yes but, correct me if I'm wrong, you can only produce on 2 or 3 hexes in one turn right? So strictly in terms of cranking out resources, how does having more than 3 workers help? (Besides simply having more options of resources, I mean.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Glancr wrote:
Yes but, correct me if I'm wrong, you can only produce on 2 or 3 hexes in one turn right? So strictly in terms of cranking out resources, how does having more than 3 workers help? (Besides simply having more options of resources, I mean.)

It helps because the number of resources you get on each hex is equal to the number of workers on it! Are you playing that you only get one resource per hex regardless of how many workers are on it? That is not correct.

If you have only one worker on a hex, you are getting only one resource, but if you have 3 workers on a single hex you are getting 3 of that resource on that hex. With 8 workers you can get 8 resources, you are just limited to 3 hexes where you can produce those 8 (or 4 hexes if you have the mill built).

Edit - Rules reference:

Page 13

"Produce: Pay the cost... choose up to two different territories that you control, and all workers on those territories may produce.

On the territories you selected for production, each worker may produce one token."

That should help you get your engine going, more resources at your disposal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll generally for the number you can put out without incurring popularity costs (5 I think?), then possibly put out the rest late game for the star. Not every game, but unless I'm going for something specific that's my general gameplan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Holly
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
reverendunclebastard wrote:
Glancr wrote:

It helps because the number of resources you get on each hex is equal to the number of workers on it! Are you playing that you only get one resource per hex regardless of how many workers are on it? That is not correct.

If you have only one worker on a hex, you are getting only one resource, but if you have 3 workers on a single hex you are getting 3 of that resource on that hex. With 8 workers you can get 8 resources, you are just limited to 3 hexes where you can produce those 8 (or 4 hexes if you have the mill built).

Edit - Rules reference:

Page 13

"Produce: Pay the cost... choose up to two different territories that you control, and all workers on those territories may produce.

On the territories you selected for production, each worker may produce one token."

That should help you get your engine going, more resources at your disposal

OH! Yes that is a massive difference, whoops! Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Todea
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won with just the starting two workers; 5p game with Polania.
Possibly because we're still learning the ropes in the game - I don't think we're good at it yet.

The opportunity to create more workers never seemed to happen and I stole about 6 wood via Combat which helped. Traded a lot instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwin Anciano
Philippines
flag msg tools
Innovan wrote:
Are people who are winning getting out all six additional workers, or are they winning with lesser amounts of workers?

I'm thinking it's like Age of Empires, your goal is to get out the maximum number of workers possible to boom your economy. (And keep building enough housing to allow your workers to be added) Workers are also useful for holding territories, which are worth points at the end.

It kind of depends on your board and faction.

When I played Saxony I blitzed through the game with just 3 workers -- and this was my best game (although also my lowest scoring, but I still scored 50 points everyone else was at just 2-3 stars and only scored like 20 points.

When I went Polonia/Patriotic I maxed out all 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sly Gryphon
Australia
Upper Kedron
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovan wrote:

Note that have 8 workers is only 3 more than 5.

i.e. with a Produce action, compared to only producing 5 resources, you are paying 1 popularity for 2 extra resources, and the 8th worker is 1 coin for only 1 extra resource.

I generally play the game at either 4 or 5 workers (upgrades can generally get costs down to 2, so Produce 4 resources can alternate between two actions quite nicely), and then ramp up to 8 at the end for the star and/or area control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Taranto
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I win most of my games, and usually have 3 total workers out for the bulk of the game. I don't like paying anything for production, and the Mill is a worker you don't have to pay for, too. I guess I end up paying more to take the trade action often instead, but you usually pay one coin for the stuff you need to get more (from bottom row bonuses) so I guess it doesn't hurt as bad as it otherwise could. I also tend to chase encounters pretty hard and let my mechs hold down the factory moreso than race there for the extra action card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kara S
United States
Palmer
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has 12 plays under our belts now. We used to be very hesitant to put out workers because of the cost. Then I played a guest who is incredibly talented at board gaming and her worker-spamming strategy changed everything.

Now, most of us get out all our workers immediately and take the cost hit in favor or stockpiling resources. This may not work with every faction/player mat combo but depending on your home territory resource type, you can bounce back handily.

Last game I played, I was Patriotic Rusviet; I spammed Produce twice in a row with all my workers on it, unleashing my entire workforce in two rounds. I then Traded twice for metal, built a Speed Mech, and used it to move the workforce half-and-half onto oil and metal. Once I had some metal piled up, I got a second mech and chain-moved them onto grain and wood. With all the oil I had, every time I moved my Character around, I could upgrade and only had to produce once or twice more to get enough wood and food for my Enlisting and building. I won because I spread my units all over the board for 14 hexes at max popularity ($56). On top of my 5 stars and various resources, I won with $128. I basically made sure to always take the popularity option on Encounters and never wasted a top-row/bottom row action combo, building my monument first and unlocking the double-popularity gain on Trade. I definitely couldn't have done it without getting all the workers out ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.