GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,435 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Solo Euro that isn't just "Beat your last score"?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only games I can think of are:

Glass Road

and

Archipelago: Solo Expansion

I own the former, but have been hesitant to approach the latter (as I hear the solo game is 1. not in the box, 2. not expressly fun, 3. the core game doesn't play great with two, which is the number I generally have when not flying solo).

Sooo.. any suggestions? There are some lovely "beat your last score" titles in my collection, but I'd like something with a potential failure state.

*edit:

Oh yeah, I also have Imperial Settlers and Lewis & Clark, both of which have failure states, but I'd still like something new.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roads & Boats has excellent solo play, with (last I looked) a number of user-created scenarios. But, it is mostly "beat your best score", except that for many of the scenarios, there is online tracking of other people's best scores, so it becomes beat anyone's best score.

The game has no randomness, so that beat anyone's best score is meaningful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luna is a straight-up worker-placement euro with a failure state in solitaire play which I have experienced repeatedly. You play against a programmed opponent which racks up its own competing score. Look, here it is beating me:

(I'm yellow, programmed opponent is red.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maquis is objective-based. It's a print-and-play (recommended), but there is also an app for both iOS and Android.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel you may be constrained by the "euro" aspect of games. After all, the general definition of "Euro" is "a gameplay centered around earning more points than your opponents ". Solo versions of those games would therefore be "points heavy".

On top of my head, i really enjoy Death Angel, for its tense gameplay and its low chance of survival. But i wouldn't consider it a Euro game. I do really like the Leader series and Submarine series with Silent Victory. A bit more Euro with some tokens. I also really like Eldritch Horror as a solo. I am not sure how Euro-y these games are for you.

For me, these games work well because they tell a story that evolves during the game, and is often very different from game to game, which entices me to play again and again. "Beat your old score" euro solos, quickly lack replayability for me because very little changes from game to game. A few tiles or cards come on at different times of the game... but that is it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Infection: Humanity's Last Gasp also does away with scoring; if you manage to eradicate the virus, you win. I prefer Maquis over this one, which feels a bit more fiddly to me (but there's less card shuffling, so there's that), but it's definitely not a poor game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guigtexas wrote:
I feel you may be constrained by the "euro" aspect of games. After all, the general definition of "Euro" is "a gameplay centered around earning more points than your opponents ". Solo versions of those games would therefore be "points heavy".

I'm guessing the OP is also looking for things like resource management, resource conversion, worker placement, and action point allocation. I feel Maquis is a good example of a euro-esque solo game that still manages to evoke a story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I notice you have Race for the Galaxy and rate it fairly high. With the Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm expansion, you can play against a very well done programmed opponent. Its my favorite solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lancee
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola has this fun solo variant where each subsequent game you need to score more points, but you also get to keep one of your occupations permanently. Can definitely recommend that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
(Instagram) @thebrewinggamer
badge
(Instagram) @thebrewinggamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll throw out Orleans with the Orleans Invasion expansion - there are 3 solo scenarios in the expansion box, none of which are really "beat your last score".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday is a solo deckbuilder. You win if you defeat the pirates at the end. Multiple levels of difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are ready for a trip down the Rabbit Hole?

Solitaire Print and Play games

Many are Ameritrash, but are Euro.
Escape from Alcatraz is a bit of both.

Good luck. I've spent hours on this Geeklist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:

Oh yeah, I also have Imperial Settlers and Lewis & Clark, both of which have failure states, but I'd still like something new.

Thanks in advance.

Yggdrasil Second Edition with Asgard Expansion comes to mind if you can find a copy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Fleet (with Fleet: Arctic Bounty) you compete against two dummy captains who both play quite differently. It is a very nice empire builder.

In Tiny Epic Galaxies you compete against a rouge Galaxy. The back of each of the five player boards offers a different rogue galaxy, each of which play differently.

For a deckbuilder, Baseball Highlights: 2045 is quite fun.

And, lastly I'll second pfctsqr's comment. He's often a source of good advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In Hostage Negotiator you use dice and cards to try and rescue hostages from various captors. High replayability in the base game, and then there are multiple expansions that add more captors. If you get the all of the hostages released, you win! Highly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe! Solo is not beat your own high score but beat the AI opponents score. Has resource management, worker placement, area control, some combat, engine building, 1920's alternate history, mechs and more.

Check it out, it is an amazing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Mage Knight Board Game? It looks like an Ameritrash-y adventure game, but actually plays like a Euro with constant optimization. Though you can always count your score (even if you lose), the main objective is conquering two cities. You can also scale the difficulty if you feel the game is too easy.
If you add in the Lost Legion expansion, there are more solo scenarios where you take on an end boss.

Be aware that the game is long (about 2-3 hours for the standard solo game) and that there are tons of rules and exceptions. It is a hard game to learn, but very rewarding. I am mostly a Euro gamer, but don't really like playing them solo; however, I can't get enough of Mage Knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of the Oniverse games fit. They all have fail conditions and no scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.