GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,575 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a situation that came up in a game last night.

Allied action phase. Stack of four Allied tank destroyers moving together moves into the open in LOS of three different AFVs, a Tiger, a PzIV and a Stummel - all at different ranges but all within range and LOS of their respective AT weaponry.

Per the ARC, it is a movement trigger. Per this clarification...

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1532667/stack-movement-...

..only one unit may fire. This is an intentional design feature on the part of the designer, an advantage of moving as a stack and was confirmed by him today by e-mail as well.

Fine. So, the Tiger has the best chance of hitting and fires, killing one step. The stack moves into another open hex (the controlling player is in a hurry).

Now, as far as I can tell, the inactive side's vehicles are not rotated, as ARC fire is unlimited during the action step.

What I'm slightly hazy on is whether the same Tiger can fire again as the stack moves into the next hex. I think it can. In fact, if the stack was moving through a series of hexes in range and LOS of an enemy vehicle, it could be fired on by the same vehicle unit as many times as it moved (allowing for ARC return fire each time).

That seems clear from the rules. Just asking if I have that interpretation correct.

In this case, the Tiger could fire upon the stack of four TDs in each hex it has LOS and range for while the TD stacks moves. The TD stack, could, feasibly, conduct return fire.

If a platoon in the stack of TDs conducts return fire against the Tiger, and the Tiger is not killed, could the Tiger conduct return fire against the TD which just fired?

Again, I believe so, but want to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The same Tiger can fire any number of times. During the Action Phase, you don't even need to bother with rotating non-phasing units that fire as part of the ARC because they can fire any number of times.

And yes, if a TD unit fires at the Tiger, the Tiger may fire back (Return Fire).

Note that a moving unit that uses Return Fire "falls out" of the moving stack and is rotated. It cannot continue moving, but can still participate in the ARC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
duckweed wrote:
The same Tiger can fire any number of times. During the Action Phase, you don't even need to bother with rotating non-phasing units that fire as part of the ARC because they can fire any number of times.

And yes, if a TD unit fires at the Tiger, the Tiger may fire back (Return Fire).

Note that a moving unit that uses Return Fire "falls out" of the moving stack and is rotated. It cannot continue moving, but can still participate in the ARC.

Thanks for the confirmations, Mark.

I knew about the "falling out" aspect of stack movement and return fire, but always a good reminder!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.