Subject: Behavioral analysis of a typical Zombicide BP game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastien Meilleur
Canada
Sainte-Julie
Quebec
flag msg tools

Ok, I used the word behavioral to attract you and make you read this thread ; )

Actually it is a light behavioral analysis.

After playing numerous games of ZBP, I have spotted a typical pattern around which the game usually revolve. I see 5 phases in most of ZBP games.

Phase 1 : Board is empty. Party on and rush for the objectives or open a door while nobody is on the board!

Phase 2 : Ok, zombies are pilling on, time to slowly clean them in a strategic manner since we are still weak.

Phase 3 : First abomination appears and we still have nothing to kill it. Search and hide, search and hide, search and hide. repeat until successful.

Phase 4 : Finally we have what it takes to take on Abominations. Time to kill it and start moving toward the objectives.

Phase 5 : We are powerful! It's more or less smooth sailing until the end of the game.

Do you see pretty much the same phases? (except for specific missions where it might vary)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo Heisenbrain
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
I am the one who mods!
badge
Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
mbmbmbmbmb
Take my like for clickbaiting me here

I'd like to know which components of the game you have/play with.
With only the base game a lot of rounds felt a lot like you explained. The addition of the KS stuff changed that for me.

If we choose to play with powerfull/overpowered Characters it's like skipping more or less to Phase 4 (especially using Xuxa with super strength or someone having +1 Damage:X on blue)

When we play reasonable Survivors it gets more dangerous with all the more skilled Abominations. Wulfz can be a problem too, one turn they are unreachable, the next they bite you in the a**. We have to play carefully until the end, because a single double activation (caused by an big building you managed not to open until orange or red) can often kill or hurt you badly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Meilleur
Canada
Sainte-Julie
Quebec
flag msg tools
Heisenbrain wrote:
Take my like for clickbaiting me here

I'd like to know which components of the game you have/play with.
With only the base game a lot of rounds felt a lot like you explained. The addition of the KS stuff changed that for me.

Indeed it applies more to the base game but yesterday with played one with pretty much everything and it was like that too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phase 1: Find a starting point for searching.
Phase 2: Start dealing with the nearest spawn points, while opening doors.
Phase 3: Fight for our lives while fulfilling the objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Livett
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Phase 1. Run to nearest door and kids search until they can get the single weapon they are looking for while everyone else fends off the hoard.
Phase 2. Kids attempt to unlock the red skills as quickly as they can by grabbing every objective and killing anything that moves.
Phase 3. Everyone else who didn't search and get extra skills dies.
Phase 4. Kids get overwhelmed.
Phase 5. Lecture on not getting into the red before anyone else gets out of blue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Wood
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Phase Blue: explain to everyone the dangers of getting XP too fast while opening doors and slowly searching for the "special item" and constantly reminding everyone not to get XP.

Phase Yellow: everyone curses "that" person who "accidentally" went into yallow claiming they did not know.

Phase yellow-2: this ain't so bad, go ahead now everyone and wipe out all the zombies. It a long way to orange, enough special items to go around.

Phase orange: what? Why did you go into orange. Don't you know what that means? Ok no big deal. Let's just stay out of red.

Phase red: two rounds after reaching red the scenario is lost because that person who got into yellow and then orangd (obviously on purpose) decided they could go off on their own and try to kill an abomination with a single disintegrate spell, again! Since all survivors have to reach the exit you lose.

Phase set it all up again: explain to everyone the dangers of getting XP too fast. Point at that person repeatedly while explainig this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a professional children's worker who uses Zombicide to promote co-operation and creative thinking in children.

I play with adults and children, but we separate the game into age groups so some of what we do is work, and sometimes it's just about playing the game!

I find your comments above brilliant and entertaining, not to mention true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the few games I've played so far:

1. Search whilst spreading out XP gains so no one levels up until it's too late.

Either two things occur:

2a) Someone levels up to yellow, others consume water/apples to level up also. Everyone then proceeds with the mission.

2b) Necromancer/Abomination spawns and the ensuing chaos between trying to remove them (necromancer) or flee from them if no torch/bile combo (abomination) ends up in a TPK.

3a) Victory followed by complaints about the game being too easy.

3b) Defeat followed by complaints about the game being too hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
Enter Text Here
badge
[b][Vote :goo:][/b]
mbmbmbmbmb
Phase 1 - Blue: open as many doors as possible, search, use one or two characters to kill zombies, others get one objective each and kill no more than 1 zombie.

Phase 2 - Yellow: someone went to 7 and got yellow, sometimes controlled sometimes on accident... Finish opening doors, assign objectives to people so they can catch up, kill zombies and generally try to progress towards winning.

Phase 3 - Orange: apologize to the guy still in blue that I went orange... Try to trade so everyone has good items and get the last objectives/victory conditions... Oops went red, run for it (another apology to the guy _STILL_ in blue)! Try to win before extra activations start kicking in and kill us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Jislizard wrote:
Phase 1. Run to nearest door and kids search until they can get the single weapon they are looking for while everyone else fends off the hoard.
Phase 2. Kids attempt to unlock the red skills as quickly as they can by grabbing every objective and killing anything that moves.
Phase 3. Everyone else who didn't search and get extra skills dies.
Phase 4. Kids get overwhelmed.
Phase 5. Lecture on not getting into the red before anyone else gets out of blue.

That's some good parenting there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
I am a professional children's worker who uses Zombicide to promote co-operation and creative thinking in children.

I love this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.