Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Edmunds
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first 2 games of this last night. What a fun game! I played the Outpost both games and won both games. But I saw what my son (the Moloch player) was doing wrong and we discussed it post game. Basically he was trying to win every battle and in doing so exhausted his force by the time we reached NYC.

My son wants to play the Outpost in our next few games, as it is clearly "the better team". His words. Although, no reason to suggest otherwise just yet.

Any advice on playing the Moloch so I can show that both sides are well balanced and that this game is every bit as fun as it first appears?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
The Plains
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think you hit the nail on the head with your assessment that it isn't about winning the most battles, but instead about winning the most important battles given the board state. The game embodies that whole "you can win the battle but still lose the war" mantra.

Honestly, I've come to think that the Moloch player has a very slight leg up, but I have not played it enough to say that with any certainty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Edmunds
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I played another game last night. Again with me playing the Outpost and he the Moloch. I gave him all the hints and tips I had at the time. I still handily beat him, but in doing so we discovered a couple more mistakes in his approach.

1. He considered his Instants to be sub-par and as such did not use them. Instead, he would discard them for his discard abilities. That was a mistake.

2. He did not utilize his Modules at all. A free turn? Use it.

3. He did not utilize +1 power by setting up in future cities. By the time the battle arrived at a city, I was already 2-3 soldiers strong at 2-4 strength each.

4. He loaded up NYC, but by that time it was too late.

5. He went too far with my "don't attempt to win every battle" advice and he hardly contested any early battles.

To his credit - and some randomness that will keep this game fresh longer than it might otherwise - my son did not draw well. After mulliganing, he drew a starting 6 cards of 1 robot, 4 modules and 1 Move card. Tough start.

While I grabbed Scorn and several support cards allowing me to get him to go off 3 times. I love Scorn!

This game is off the charts fun and I highly recommend it. I am sure it will run out of gas, but not before my son and I get 20+ plays in. At the 50-60 cents a play, given the price of this game. What a deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Edmunds
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I played 2 more games, with him as the Outpost and me the Moloch. We each won a game.

Discovered a couple more potential mistakes for the Moloch player. Also, while it seems the Moloch is a more straight forward deck, and the Outpost being trickier and as such more difficult to play well, it is also the most prone to mistakes. The Outpost can get away some mistakes as they tend to be smaller and recoverable. Also the Outpost tends to be more tactical and reactive. The Moloch needs to think more big picture and strategize more around the more likely tactic the Outpost will use - or is able to use due to card draw - in reaction. So the Moloch needs to plan its plays more strategically I find.

As with any card game knowing the cards is very critical. Discovering the strategies and tactics, and player tendencies, in parallel with discovering the card combos will give this game many plays of pure awesomeness. However, I still anticipate a time when the game will run out of steam and become less interesting. Although, that does not have to happen...I play backgammon still every Friday and continue to love that game.

Could Convoy become a classic 2 player game that survives forever like backgammon? Highly unlikely. But for many, many plays to come it will be the more fun game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.