10 Posts

Here I Stand» Forums » General

Subject: Haps and Ottos ally? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
So Ive played about 6 games prior to the game Im in now and have never seen this before. France was close to winning so the Haps and Ottos allied moving all their armies against the west.

I guess there is nothing in the rules preventing this but what a game killer. Knowing this now I wonder why they don't just ally always, having the 2 biggest military threats co-operating seems game breakingly strong. Anyone else ever see this?

This seems so wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they do ally earlier in the game, everybody else in the game needs to work together to stop them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Holmstrom
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
You don't see such an early game alliance because while the Haps are powerful, they still will be hard pressed to do well against the inevitable French/English alliance that would form against them.

In addition, the Papacy would be the first target for the ottomans, which would result in a lack of counter reformation activity. The Protestant player would have an easy go of it and very well could win an early domination victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Ya I guess an early alliance would favor ott more than haps.

Im playing France in this game and I was quite surprised to see 19 ott troops on my border. I was more expecting an English/ Haps/ Pap alliance to drag me down. It looks like the Haps player has quit the game so I may never see the longterm affect of this odd alliance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Holmstrom
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Sounds like quite a game. I've never seen that happen. I'd be reluctant as the Haps to allow such an Ottoman force to deploy to the west. They could grab a ton of keys.

What were the final scores?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Strategery21 wrote:
Sounds like quite a game. I've never seen that happen. I'd be reluctant as the Haps to allow such an Ottoman force to deploy to the west. They could grab a ton of keys.

What were the final scores?

Game is only on turn 4. Scores as I remember are:

Ott 16
Hap 16
Eng 18
Fra 21 ( but Paris under seige and will probably fall to Haps this turn )
Pap 18
Pro 11
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Holmstrom
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Wow. With the otts getting double war winner vps and France likely sueing for peace, the Haps may have made a big mistake.

Please keep us updated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
The Papal player should always keep in mind that being allied to the Sultan is grounds for excommunication.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hall
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a valid tactic to take down a runaway leader.
It is a sign of Haps weakness though.
As Otto have done a few times. Most bizarrely to attack England where I captured Calais. Lost to auto victory by Prots that game.

Historically French called in Ottomans to help oppose Haps. If Charles V had thought like Francis then calling in the Turks could have happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer42_au wrote:
If Charles V had thought like Francis then calling in the Turks could have happened.

Do we think the Holy Roman Emperor could have done that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.