BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Do you get annoyed when you read articles like this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Felix Yuen
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
https://www.1843magazine.com/culture/the-daily/board-games-w...

This is the offending article. In the past year or so, mainstream observers have written many articles regarding the surge of popularity in our hobby. Most have skimmed the surface, some offer insightful analysis, and some offer misleading and poorly-informed views on the subject.

Personally I have two issues with this article. The first is that the writer seems to have no idea what he's talking about. I lost it when he said "a quick game of Runewars"....Maybe followed by a quick game of Twilight Imperium 3rd edition, while we're at it? I would have expected a little more research into the subject material at hand.

Secondly, he's quoting a dubious "expert" who makes unjustified disparaging remarks about our hobby being "an unflattering reflection of consumerist society" and "having no intrinsic value beyond the packaging". He completely ignores the intellectually challenging aspects of board gaming, the immersive and social elements of the hobby, and slams board game lovers as "symptomatic of a consumerist culture". In fact, board games hardly ever get thrown away and have significant replay value - they are also often traded or sold (a form of recycling) to second-hand buyers when they're no longer wanted.

Most importantly, he claims that there is no innovation or "true" variety in board games, just because some games have gone through revised editions or reprints. Without going into detail, we already know that re-releases are in the minority of new games available. Many games also offer a substantially different experience mechanically and thematically - such as in the example of Letters of Whitechapel. He is someone who studies history - but has no interest or understanding of the current or future state of board games. I am rather upset that an otherwise reputable news/opinion platform would quote such poorly-researched and intellectually indefensible opinions.

Tldr: Grumpy historian-guy makes unfair criticisms of board games in the public sphere, making us look bad in public.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TBH, I couldn't care less. Some guy writes something bad about something he has no clue about. Not the first time it happened. Won't be the last, either.

I will rather enjoy playing my board games, while he can live on in ignorance.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb

Free speech is not requested to be true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba W
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all in the eye of the beholder, for example, when I manage to finish a game of Twilight Imperium in 7-8 hours, I call it a quick game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a wanky intro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
TBH, I couldn't care less. Some guy writes something bad about something he has no clue about. Not the first time it happened. Won't be the last, either.

I will rather enjoy playing my board games, while he can live on in ignorance.

Bye
Thanee

I'm with Thanee - I couldn't care either.

In fact, I'm going to show how much I don't care by not even reading the article!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Just about anything i read online annoys me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keiron
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An article with 'little intrinsic value'; ignorant, patronising garbage that wasn't worth the energy to read it, but then I guess that's the media all over
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read stuff like that I always get this picture in my head

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Podsiadło
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly World Championships are like for real?

What the...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked this part:

"A Eurogame will typically suggest a more immersive fictional world than American-style board games like Monopoly, and place a greater emphasis on strategy and cooperation."

Take that, all of you Ameritrashers who think Eurogames are dry abstracts! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love to line about how Monopoly has "long proved attractive to serious gamers". He must have a different definition of a serious gamer than I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandora Caitiff
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's clearly filler material, but I can't work out if he's totally clueless and bluffing it, or secretly knowledgeable but trying to provoke gamers with outrage-bait for a bit of fleeting notoriety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Articles like those should be in the same lump as the hysteria of people playing D&D back in the 80s. Yes I've joined a satanic cult and do ritual sacrifices. Oh wait I never did any of those things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love that he cited a 2010 Facebook post by Mark Zuckerburg as proof that Catan is popular...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ygor
Romania
Transylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
1/care.

Affects me zero.

The internets and media are starving for content and this dude picked up an assignment to write about something which he wasn't completely familiar. I'm pretty sure that this happens a large percentage of the time, as they are just writers and researchers. This dude just happened to be poor at the latter, most likely because he really didn't care about the work, and more about the paycheck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So those who participate in the Monopoly and Scrabble world Championships are not serious gamers?

So what is the intrinsic value of a board game?

But yes a total fluff piece.

However, it is in the Economist, a magazine with a decent readership. It potentially help get more gamers into the hobby. Any publicity is good publicity. (as long as it is not too extreme.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Annoyed?

Quote:
Household staples like Monopoly have long proved attractive to serious gamers.

This is comedy gold!

Pete (loves a good laugh)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Portage
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah its bad but I've read much worse. He missed the mark but he at least tried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Massey
Wales
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Even discounting the Star Wars commercial tie-ins, many recent board games are iterations of the same basic rules repackaged with a different setting.

You mean all this time I've been playing the same game?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bergom
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
"Sometimes it would be nice to be wrong about people." -Commander Samuel Vimes
mbmbmbmbmb
FelixTHM wrote:
https://www.1843magazine.com/culture/the-daily/board-games-w...

Tldr: Grumpy historian-guy makes unfair criticisms of board games in the public sphere, making us look bad in public.

Eh, I'd be more worried about the obnoxious stuff right here on BGG that makes us look bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If you actually get annoyed at petty things like singular articles dealing with minor subjects, you will find life is not a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Irving Finkel is a well known historian of board games and I suspect his remarks have been taken out of context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
The problem in the equation is people. Eliminate that, everything works.
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Does the article annoy you?
No, not one little bit, I am above such things.
Well, maybe a little annoyed.
Yeah, this kind of crap gets my goat.
I am filled with massive blood rage.
He must be destroyed, and his family, unto the 4th generation, and yea, even his goat.
What article?
      172 answers
Poll created by skutsch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bergom
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
"Sometimes it would be nice to be wrong about people." -Commander Samuel Vimes
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Poll
Does the article annoy you?
No, not one little bit, I am above such things.
Well, maybe a little annoyed.
Yeah, this kind of crap gets my goat.
I am filled with massive blood rage.
He must be destroyed, and his family, unto the 4th generation, and yea, even his goat.
What article?
      172 answers
Poll created by skutsch

I voted for the goat because that would get me a food and a fur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.