Popular Tags: [View All]
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, talk about timing! There are several games all about Mars on the very near horizon, and I'm pretty sure that I won't be getting all of them. Of these three specifically; Terraforming Mars, Martians: A Story of Civilization, and First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet, I'm interested in getting the one or two that are the heaviest. Any suggestions on which ones those might be? If they are all equally heavy, which do you find the most compelling?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in knowing more about these games, too!

I was never too interested in Mars until I read the fabulous Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson. Since then, I've been quite fascinated with Mars, space, and space colonization.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're patient enough... wait for this one:

On Mars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:

On Mars
What? How did I not hear about this one - Vital is one of my favorite designers! Thank you so much for telling me about it. Now, the big question is, how long must I wait? Are we looking at 2017 or 2018?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karenv731 wrote:
veector wrote:

On Mars
What? How did I not hear about this one - Vital is one of my favorite designers! Thank you so much for telling me about it. Now, the big question is, how long must I wait? Are we looking at 2017 or 2018?

I think he's working on it off and on. Doesn't have a projected date. To be completely honest, I don't know how the current Mars games would affect the publication of this. If I was a designer, it might make me hold off on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if you're just interested in a space themed Euro with some complex enough mechanics, try Solarius Mission

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
Karenv731 wrote:
veector wrote:

On Mars

I think he's working on it off and on. Doesn't have a projected date. To be completely honest, I don't know how the current Mars games would affect the publication of this. If I was a designer, it might make me hold off on it.
That's kind of what I was thinking, that's why I was wondering how long before it appears. Thank you for the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
Also, if you're just interested in a space themed Euro with some complex enough mechanics, try Solarius Mission
Already pre-ordered it! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karenv731 wrote:
Wow, talk about timing! There are several games all about Mars on the very near horizon, and I'm pretty sure that I won't be getting all of them. Of these three specifically; Terraforming Mars, Martians: A Story of Civilization, and First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet, I'm interested in getting the one or two that are the heaviest. Any suggestions on which ones those might be? If they are all equally heavy, which do you find the most compelling?

Of the three listed in the OP, I'm most interested in Terraforming Mars - Stronghold Games has picked it up for the US market, and they've had some interesting titles lately.

Martians: A Story of Civilization is a Kickstarter and seems - I don't know - maybe overly complex. Maybe just not my cup of sand.

First Martians
is Trzewiczek's reboot/reimp of Robinson Crusoe, so it's coming with a pedigree. Curious to see if or how it parallels the Mage Knight Board Game vs Star Trek: Frontiers pairing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I backed Martians: A Story of Civilization, but still not sure I'll end up getting it, maybe for the reason you indicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm keeping an eye on First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet. I really enjoy Ignacy Trzewiczek's designs and I'm curious to see how he implements the app. I'm still not sure about whether I'm pro or con app integration, but I'm willing to wait and see more games come out before coming to any firm conclusions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karen, what did you think of Trickerion? Martians seems like it occupies the same sort of game space: lots of moving parts, dripping with theme, and yet - the gameplay doesn't really grab me.

I think I'd like these better as computer games - actual computer games, not digital implementations of board games. Anachrony, the sophomore effort by the Trickerion folks, struck me the same way. But all three of these KS's were successful, so clearly there's a market for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
euronoob wrote:
Karen, what did you think of Trickerion? Martians seems like it occupies the same sort of game space: lots of moving parts, dripping with theme, and yet - the gameplay doesn't really grab me.

I think I'd like these better as computer games - actual computer games, not digital implementations of board games. Anachrony, the sophomore effort by the Trickerion folks, struck me the same way. But all three of these KS's were successful, so clearly there's a market for them.

I actually really like Trickerion. I like heavier games, which doesn't always have to mean lots of moving parts, but sometimes that's how they are, and I'm usually OK with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.