Subject: Using WH40k figures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Li'l Ronnie Post
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
So I'm putting together My Own Damn Version of Space Hulk, and things are going well, except for accidentally blowing my budget on Genestealers on Ebay (Tip: DON'T place your top $ in your initial bid in a Dutch auction!).

I've got pretty much everything I need, and have decided on black-core mat board instead of foam core. If I'm going to do this, I want to do it right.

I've ALMOST got two squads of Marines (Nine WH40K terminators found at a recent garage sale), and in reading the SH rules, I see that in a squad of five, there is a Sergeant and one flamer-equipped marine.

I found a picture of a flamer piece:
http://static.zoovy.com/img/battlewagonbits/-/products/termi...

Can anyone describe or point me at a picture of how a Sergeant figure differs from the rest of the squad members? Presumably, the rest are armed with bolters. I have a couple baggies with LOTS of bits and no idea of what is what yet, so any help with this would be greatly appreciated, especially any links to construction/painting guides for these purposes that you can especially recommend.

Also, from an aesthetic standpoint, do you guys like to have your standard troops look "standard", or (given there's only five to a squad and you don't have an ARMY to paint) do you like to customize ALL the squad members, so you can tell them all apart?

I realize I can just do anything that looks good to me and that will differentiate the Sergeants and flamers, but like I said, if I'm going to go to the trouble of doing this, I'd like to do it up right!

On that note, has anyone who's homebrewed their own version have any comments on things they'd do differently if they were to do it again? Any upgrades short of the 3D rooms & corridors?

TIA!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Traditionally, the sergeant has a power sword, and the rest of the termis have a power fist (looks like a ginormous glove).

Also, if you're using 40k terminators, the sarge should have a big flag widget sticking out of the top of his carapace.

Getting the mix on weaponry just right is mostly irrelevant, given that there's rules for alternative weaponry in an official publication somewhere. Just remember if you're looking up stats that the flamer is a heavy flamer, and the bolters are storm bolters....

Cool?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Li'l Ronnie Post
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
So they each have two weapons, then (bolter and power fist/sword/flamer)? Does the sergeant have a head instead of helmet, too - or is that something different? And is that big flag widget the "chapter banner"? If so, do people typically make up their own logos for it (I like that idea, regardless!)? Would both squads come from the same chapter?

I know that none of this really makes any difference from a gameplay point of view - I'm just curious!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Buchler
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The sergeant's flag is indeed his back banner. I never put them on my sergeants; couldn't see how it would be very practical lugging it around in a cramped hulk and giving big nasties something else to get ahold of.

The sgt. as noted has a storm bolter and power sword. GW powerswords are always painted blue to give the aura of a crackling energy field around the sword.
The heavy flamer marines have the flamer built into their arms, but if you are using bits to make your own you could get some thin tubing to make your own fuel lines to attach to their backpacks. Always wondered where the fuel supply was stored in their powersuits myself.

The sgts I have used had helmets on, though going helmetless would be another way to distinguish them. Likely they'll be headless soon once the stealers sniff them out anyway! Given that genestealers have acid blood I think I would want to have the helmet on to avoid any unnecessary pain on my part.

I never distinguished the individual stormbolter marines as they were generally going to die quickly anyway.

Good luck, and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Riordan
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not positive, but I believe a sergeant's banner is only worn in outdoor environments.

Sergeants often go without a helmet, but they don't have to. If they wear a helmet, it is a different color than the standard armor. A Blood Angels sergeant might wear a black or white helmet, rather than red. Depending on the traditions of his company. Regular Marines may also go without a helmet, if they choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
them wrote:
So they each have two weapons, then (bolter and power fist/sword/flamer)?

The Marine with the Flamer has no Bolter, but does have a Power Fist. (Hmm... I'm pretty sure he does... but certainly not a Bolter.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trencher for Life
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
them wrote:
So they each have two weapons, then (bolter and power fist/sword/flamer)? Does the sergeant have a head instead of helmet, too - or is that something different? And is that big flag widget the "chapter banner"? If so, do people typically make up their own logos for it (I like that idea, regardless!)? Would both squads come from the same chapter?

I know that none of this really makes any difference from a gameplay point of view - I'm just curious!

Thanks!

When doing cleansing missions on hulks, the Terminator squads all come from the same chapter. However, you can make up any chapter you want for your own tastes.

Other weapons that the Terminators have are: Lightning Claws, Thunder Hammer, and Assault Cannon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
them wrote:

On that note, has anyone who's homebrewed their own version have any comments on things they'd do differently if they were to do it again? Any upgrades short of the 3D rooms & corridors?

TIA!

I wouldnt make the tiles have the jigsaw ends, I must have added about 75% extra time to cutting those out, until someone recommended using velcro tape and a felt tablecovering

I lucked out and got a huge lot of tyranids off a pals roomate, I got 450 dollars worth of figures for 30 bucks including the big carry case (Only 16 stealers tho, but 30 gaunts and 8-12 of the bigger pewter units)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games Workshop has a set of WH40K rules posted on their website for "Space Hulk": http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/gaming/spacehulk/defa...

That might be of some assistance to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.