Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

The Walking Dead: No Sanctuary» Forums » General

Subject: Two words: Fans first... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Ok.

This is not a complaint but to me it's more of a four words thing:
English speaking fans first.

I really think that translations, for such a theme, would explode the pledges count as the series has huge fans all over the world.
They probably would like to be part of this boat too.

Recently, the "This war of mine" crew decided to translate the game (French, spanish, german and italian I think) and it brought a lot of foreign customers to the party.
They had the nerve to do that for all the content and there is A LOT of texts to translate because the game is heavily based on fluff.

TWD seems way easier to translate.
And you know that TWD is way more internationally famous and has way more fans around the world than TWoM too...

Please, think about it.

This plus a solid solo mechanism and I think you would have covered it all.

My 2 cents.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Miguel
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While I am not a part of this campaign. I was a part of the previous two campaigns. While international fans do back, it does not make as big of a chuck or pledge boost as you would think. It sucks, but when it comes down to what financially makes sense to offer, there aren't enough people to back at different language levels to make it worth it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Seidler
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
YetiHandler wrote:
While I am not a part of this campaign. I was a part of the previous two campaigns. While international fans do back, it does not make as big of a chuck or pledge boost as you would think. It sucks, but when it comes down to what financially makes sense to offer, there aren't enough people to back at different language levels to make it worth it.


Fair enough. But why do you think are there more and more campaigns which do it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This war of mine asked at first 500 backers from every country that wanted a version of the game in their language. And that was to translate only the core game, not the new elements that were gotten through stretch goals.
In a recent communication they confirmed that all components of the game will be in english, german, polish, french and spanish.
I think they can do this because they have found some companies in those countries that will do the job.
I don't think Awaken Realms will do all the job on their own and then they will distribute the games on each of those countries.
As much as I would like to see The Walking Dead in spanish, right now there's 45 people from my country backing the game, which I don't think is enough to justify the translation of the game.
But I'm sure that if a gaming company from my country offered to do it, Cryptozoic would gladly accept it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
"As much as I would like to see The Walking Dead in spanish, right now there's 45 people from my country backing the game, which I don't think is enough to justify the translation of the game.".

What is that for a thinking?

If there were already 10000 spanish guys backing this game up, why would you translate the game as it seems they are ok with the english version?

What you say doesn't make any sense, sorry.

French board gamers are plenty and they also have a big community online (Tric-Trac among others). Among them, a lot are fans of TWD.
But as long as there is no french translation, you will not see them backing this game up.
It's not the backers you have that you must take into consideration but the ones you don't have yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:
"As much as I would like to see The Walking Dead in spanish, right now there's 45 people from my country backing the game, which I don't think is enough to justify the translation of the game.".

What is that for a thinking?

If there were already 10000 spanish guys backing this game up, why would you translate the game as it seems they are ok with the english version?

What you say doesn't make any sense, sorry.

French board gamers are plenty and they also have a big community online (Tric-Trac among others). Among them, a lot are fans of TWD.
But as long as there is no french translation, you will not see them backing this game up.
It's not the backers you have that you must take into consideration but the ones you don't have yet.


If you had 1000 Spanish backers who requested a Spanish version you would have a leg to stand on. There is zero incentive to finance translation and the associated print run for 45 backers HOPING it may gain you the missing 955 backers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
That's why you make a statement: above a certain number of spanish request, you translate the game.
If so, you'll see how many spanish guys will come running to pledge for a dollar waiting to see how this will evolve.
People talk you know, unless there is nothing to talk about.

Moreover, don't you think such a licence would interest, in the long run, people all around the world? Come on. Sooner or later, it has to be translated.
It would be like a Star Wars game only in english. That would be the worse business model ever.

Now, I see one reason not to do this: if the licence is limited to an english version of the game.

"If you had 1000 Spanish backers who requested a Spanish version you would have a leg to stand on. There is zero incentive to finance translation and the associated print run for 45 backers HOPING it may gain you the missing 955 backers."

1) The 1000 spanish guys who already pledged are ok with the game in english. You don't pledge and make a demand afterward if you are not already ok with what you get.

2) yes, there is an incentive: attract people to your campaign. The zero incentive would be to translate in spanish because you already have 1000 spanish guys pledging. There are already there, no need to do anything then.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:
That's why you make a statement: above a certain number of spanish request, you translate the game.
If so, you'll see how many spanish guys will come running to pledge for a dollar waiting to see how this will evolve.
People talk you know, unless there is nothing to talk about.

Moreover, don't you think such a licence would interest, in the long run, people all around the world? Come on. Sooner or later, it has to be translated.
It would be like a Star Wars game only in english. That would be the worse business model ever.

Now, I see one reason not to do this: if the licence is limited to an english version of the game.

"If you had 1000 Spanish backers who requested a Spanish version you would have a leg to stand on. There is zero incentive to finance translation and the associated print run for 45 backers HOPING it may gain you the missing 955 backers."

1) The 1000 spanish guys who already pledged are ok with the game in english. You don't pledge and make a demand afterward if you are not already ok with what you get.

2) yes, there is an incentive: attract people to your campaign. The zero incentive would be to translate in spanish because you already have 1000 spanish guys pledging. There are already there, no need to do anything then.


We'll see. I suspect my way of thought is the one that they take, because it is the one that makes sense from a business perspective rather than based on emotions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
And I'm sure your way of thinking has nothing to do with the fact that english is your mother tongue and that you just don't care...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:
And I'm sure your way of thinking has nothing to do with the fact that english is your mother tongue and that you just don't care...


Honestly, my native language has nothing to do with it. Because I frankly don't care too much if this game ever gets released or I ever own a copy. I have enough stuff to keep me busy until I die at this point.

Something else not yet mentioned: I strongly suspect the license holders have very tight control over what gets released for this game. Any translation is going to have to go through the approval process and that adds cost (both in terms of dollars and time) to the project. Again, without a guaranteed market it is hard to justify the additional costs. When the English speaking market is as large as it is (looking post KS to the retail phase) the law of diminishing returns kicks in quickly. You need to continue support (FAQ/Errata/updates/add-ons) for each language the game is published in and that is a big damned commitment for 45 KS backers.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent DePonte
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
It's funny how people think translating text is so easy.

Professional, quality translation services are expensive.

It's quite possible that the margins on a project are so tight that it's not feasible you would get enough backers to offset the cost of adding more languages so they don't offer to translate the game if they get X backers because they know they're not going to get X backers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Miguel
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisback79 wrote:
YetiHandler wrote:
While I am not a part of this campaign. I was a part of the previous two campaigns. While international fans do back, it does not make as big of a chuck or pledge boost as you would think. It sucks, but when it comes down to what financially makes sense to offer, there aren't enough people to back at different language levels to make it worth it.


Fair enough. But why do you think are there more and more campaigns which do it?


See below.

FellintoOblivion wrote:
It's funny how people think translating text is so easy.

Professional, quality translation services are expensive.

It's quite possible that the margins on a project are so tight that it's not feasible you would get enough backers to offset the cost of adding more languages so they don't offer to translate the game if they get X backers because they know they're not going to get X backers.


Additionally, if I recall correctly, there is also licensor approvals and additional things that have to happen with a game like this. Certain terms don't always translate well and that can cause problems.

I am just speaking in hypotheticals from what I understood before I left CZE. I don't know if this is true or not, but having worked with AMC in the past and other brands, they are very protective (and rightfully so) of their properties.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.