Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Aubrey Miles
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all! I'm excited to get a new game, but I can't decide which one. Here's a list of some top contenders:

Caylus
Citadels
Tigris & Euphrates
Goa

Now for some descriptions of my situation:

-currently playing most often in a group of 3.
-enjoying games like Attika and St. Petersburg right now
-I belong to a very open-minded group who likes a wide variety of games.

Special consideration:

Right now, my collection represents a lot of "pop picks" that are being raved about on BGG. Although it's nice, and my games are good, it might be better to diversify. Therefore, if you have a suggestion that would round out my collection a lot better than the four I listed, by all means let me know.

Thanks for your time and participation in this typical thread!
~Aubrey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Caylus and E&T are great with three players. They are also the "heaviest" of the games you cite. Goa is a good resource-game with a bit more chaos (less control) than Caylus. I think Citadels is fun with three, but this is an opinion not every Geek shares. My first choices would be Caylus and E&T, though. Both are essential members of a serious Eurogames collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne Thomi
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/18333
Maybe this list will help out. I am not quite sure as to The End of the Triumvirate is on that list, because that would also be a good game for 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say:

1. E&T
2. Goa
3. Caylus
26. Citadels
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I will again firmly state that Goa is brilliant for 2 and less good for other player counts.

Caylus is great for 3. E&T is just a game you should own. Citadels needs more players to be good, but then the downtime makes it less good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels has special rules for 2-3 player games, where you control two characters. This turns out to be a very good game; and I actually prefer Citadels as a 2 or 3 player game. In a larger game downtime starts to reduce the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
According to my preferences (including being good for 3 and fun for me):

Caylus thumbsdown

Citadels thumbsdown thumbsdown

Tigris & Euphrates thumbsdown

Goa thumbsup thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus - I enjoy caylus with 3 people, not sure the mechanics were truly meant for 3, but i really enjoyed the 3 player game i once played.

Citadels - very 'm'eh' for me. i always feel this game drags on and get's repetitive.

Tigris & Euphrates - i really like T&E, but the 'wives' hated it. So i'm not sure about this one.

Goa - This is a great game, it's a true euro IMO.

i would also recommend yspahan, medici and samurai as excellent 3 player games.

Cheers
-
James

ps: i think that ticket2ride with even more players make's it MUCH worse(based on ur collection comment).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus, Tigris & Euphrates and Goa are all heavier than Attika and St. Petersburg, if that matters to you. I'm not sure of the optimal number of players for these three, but I would say they are all great games and I believe they play well with 3. I have played Goa with 3 and it seemed to work fine.

Citadels has mixed reviews. Too cutthroat for me personally. But I know some people like it a lot.

A few others you might also consider:
Power Grid
Thurn & Taxis
Tikal
Taj Mahal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels is getting too much negative press in this thread. Although it's better with 4 and by reducing the victory level from 8 to 7. It's a very fun game and with 4 people (3 of whom were a little drunk, 2 of whom had never played before) we played 2 great games in about 80 minutes on Saturday night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Helms
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bottom line, get them all. Also, get what everyone else put too except for Tikal. Don't care for that one. Everything else listed above is golden though.

However, if those four are your only choices, I'd go in this order...
1) Goa
2) T&E
3) Citadels
4) Caylus

Citadels would be #3, but I prefer at least 4 when playing that. Goa is just a great game. Caylus & T&E are heavier games. Happy future gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aubrey Miles
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooo! Let me add that Louis XIV is $20 just down the street. I know it's touted as a superb 4-player game, but how about for 2 and 3?

The price is right, but does it stack up against my initial considerations or some of the excellent suggestions made so far?

Thanks,
~Aubrey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fowers
United States
OGDEN
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Louis for $20 - wow, not only is it one of the best 2 player area-control games, that's a good price too. Granted you didn't mention any other area-control games, but it's a good bet. Complex enough choices for me, fun enough for my wife.
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.