Thumb up
1 Posts

Cheeky Monkey» Forums » Sessions

Subject: In which we attempt to relieve a stuffed monkey of his many animals rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bayard catron
United States
North Potomac
flag msg tools
Session report: Play More Games, Gaithersburg Maryland USA

July 12, 2016

Last week at my FLGS I treated some attendees of our board games event to two sessions of Cheeky Monkey, a game I've posted about here many times. One player was bemused by the monkey at first and told me she wondered why I'd brought a stuffed animal to game night (but was too polite to bring it up). All agreed that putting the game in the monkey was a stroke of genius comparable to the Bananagrams masterstroke.

We played two games - the game is so quick (usually) and so fun, it gets requests for repeat play probably more than any other in my arsenal - and here are the aspects people enjoyed about it:

- Your fate is in your hands - mostly. Luck plays a role to keep things interesting
- It's possible to influence whether people go for it re. making "just one more" draw
- There are different parts of your brain being worked - both relating to the probabilities. Namely, the decision of how long to draw chips (and how to utilize the monkeys) and the stacking of won chips. I like that the game lets you put the chips on the bottom of the stack if they are all of the same kind - thus never forcing you to take another draw just to cover up that monkey you drew on your first pull and the other two monkeys you stole off the stacks of your opponents.

It's a simple quick game with real decisions, yet lighthearted and fun. I give it two tails up. PS - one of the players stated that he's an expert card (and chip) counter, but didn't use this ability during our game, as it wouldn't be sporting.

Until next time!
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.