Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Last round of game...

It's me versus the legendary pirate at Treasure Island. I played Powder Keg. My shot destroyed his hull, but the powder keg took out my hull as well.

How should this be resolved?

A. LP is destroyed, player is crippled (goes to Pirate's Cove) - no points awarded
B. LP is destroyed (player gets the fame points), but is crippled and goes to Pirate's Cove
C. LP is destroyed, ending the battle immediately, and the player doesn't take any more damage.

We decided to play option A*, taking a literal interpretation of the rules, but there doesn't appear to be any treatment for ANY simultaneous combat resolution, which can often happen with players as well.

* Actually, we agreed on A, but scored it as B, as it didn't impact the final scoring of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
My gut feel, without consulting the rule book, would be option B. I do reserve the right to change my mind after checking the rules though arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules page 13 wrote:
If a Legendary Pirate is defeated by use of a Powder Keg or Grapeshot attack that results in the player's ship getting crippled, that player earns the fame points for defeating the Legendary Pirate, earning some consolation as he limps away to Pirate's Cove.

Option B is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
A. You have to survive the battle in order to receive the fame. The damage to both ships was simultaneous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
A. You have to survive the battle in order to receive the fame. The damage to both ships was simultaneous.

This is correct for player vs. player combats. The rules on p. 7 say "A crippled ship brings all remaining opponents on that island 1 point of fame." So if two players are simultaneously crippled, neither of them receives any fame.

However, there is a special rule for legendary pirates on p. 13, right-hand column, 5th paragraph. It basically says that when using Powder Keg or Grapeshot such that it cripples your own ship in sinking the pirate, you still get the fame points. So option B above is the correct one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule is stated on page 13: "If a Legendary Pirate is defeated by use of a Powder Keg or Grapeshot attack that results in the player's ship getting crippled, that player earns fame points for defeating the Legendary Pirate, earning some consolation as he limps away to Pirate's Cove."

Edit: Bill beat me to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpat wrote:
Edit: Bill beat me to it.

No, he didn't! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.