Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother and I arrogantly and foolishly tried to battle the mighty Burrower and were both reduced to 0 Health, failing the Mission. I made my Injury roll and got snake eyes: ripped apart. I still had one Grit left; was it permissible for me to use that Grit to reroll my Injury?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. You can spend grit to reroll any roll you make, except the Hold Back The Darkness roll.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Yes. You can spend grit to reroll any roll you make, except the Hold Back The Darkness roll.

-shnar

Even when you've failed the Mission by having your entire posse reduced to zero Health? You still retain the Grit you had, to use in that last Injury roll>?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

I do believe you cannot reroll town events, for instance. So it all depends on how you define "ownership" of the roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Petersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
I read in a FAQ that you are allowed to use Grit to re-roll Injury. I however play that you can't use Grit for those type of rolls (makes it more challenging + you can still be revived). I think the rolls you aren't allowed to use Grit for (except if you got special items) are:

Hold back the Darkness
Enemy attack rolls
Town chart rolls
Scenario reward rolls

Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking at an interpretation that has some thought and experience behind it I can heartily recommend.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1292086/codifying-grit-rule...

Inspector Jee has some great suggestions that I have adopted in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no official FAQ on this topic. It's one of my Great Pet Peeves. We have a collection of semi-offical rulings and off-handed specific answers but there really isn't a full-proof official ruling that can be applied across the board to what can/cant be gritted.

The Rulebook says "any roll" but I've had Jason tell me face-to-face that are many things that CANNOT be re-rolled with Grit - Darkstone Corruption (how many Hits you have to save against), Town Location Events, Free Upgrade Leveling chart rolls, Monster Attacks/Defense - basically things your Hero isn't actually doing and that you're just rolling for. This is a pretty murky definition, because what about things like reward rolls? Or Surgery? Or the results of a Travel Hazard gone wrong? Are these things something that just happens to your guy, or is he involved in someway? You can make a case either way. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

So I play by the rules I crafted, mentioned in the post above this one (thanks for the shout-out!) because they are a) in-line with the apparent intention of what FFP had in mind re:grit-mechanics and b) consistent across all situations. Under those rules, no, you cannot grit Injury. Accept your battle scars like a true warrior, and deal with them as a warrior would!

(at the Doctor's ... or with Magic Powers).

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that this rule is a lot like the long running debate in Star Trek Attack Wing on "Are Fighters ships". It's not important to go into details here, just suffice to say that the rules are very convoluted with hordes of exceptions and rules of thumb so that nobody really understands what the rules actually are.

Maybe it would be easier to say that you can use grit ANYTIME for ANYTHING you roll, as long as you don't use a grit to reroll a roll you got by using a grit (in other words you can't use two grit to reroll the same roll).

Plus people really are reluctant to use their grit because they have so little right, so I think that fact should act as the required self-policing against making it too good.

I know this isn't what the game designers say they want, but games with rules so complex you can't explain them are not great for drawing in new players, right?

Plus the alternative to letting people reroll their injury or madness is not that they keep the roll. It's them ignoring the roll because playing with what they rolled (death or something awful) isn't fun to them. If they reroll maybe they get something they can live with.

So the rule I would like to suggest is that you can use a grit to reroll anything, just not twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There may be some things you can't use grit for, but a couple of rings and hat can help you out. The posse needs to be sure to have a top hat and a gold ring. This way in town you can always get the surgery result of 6. And if you get knocked out in the mines with the top hat, gold ring, and the ring of corruption, you can always get the double 6s on the injury chart.

I'm really thinking there should be a restriction on what the rings can be used for. Personally I never go out of my way to save up my ring of corruption for a level up.

What's really funny is that someone just posted the exact thing on the SoB facebook page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had Jason tell me at Gen Con that Injuries/Madnesses were OK to Grit (but not Mutations, as we already know). Perhaps one of the eventual corollaries to the formalized Grit Rules will be "if this roll can kill you and it's not a mutation, you can Grit it."

I'm largely OK with this addition to my system because - as Jason pointed out - you're far more likely to use whatever Grit you have remaining on whatever sequence of unfortunate rolls that preceded getting to the Injury Chart in the first place than you are to save said Grit for the Chart itself.

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember though, you bought this game and now it's yours, not Flying Frog Games. Play it however is fun for you. They're not going to come to your house and tell you how to play. If you play in a tournament if there ever is one then OK.

So if you roll a mutation that is going to force you to start a new character or stop playing the game or throw it in the fireplace, use the darned grit.

Do what's fun and don't worry to much about the "correct" rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, playing by the rules is the most fun.

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls