Subject: Fury of Mina Harker rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
After a learning game the night before, the intrepid Hunters set out for the second time in two days to take Dracula down. Learning from their mistakes, the hunters spread out more than the night before and even managed to put somebody (Dr Seward) in England. Mr Helsing was in Alcantz, Spain, Mina found herself searching through the old city of Milan, and Lord Goldaming decided to brave the treacherous Eastern Countries, starting in Vienna.

Well, thought Dracula mysteriously, they seem to be planning a pincer on Central Europe. It's a good thing, he smiled devilshy, that I am in Salonica, Greece! And with that he laughed an evil laugh, and began the game. Helsing moved towards France, and Mina wandered around a bit (along with the bumbling Seward) but Dracula's eyes were only on Godalming. Vienna to Budapest? Counter with Salonica to Sofia. Budapest to... Bucharest?!

Oh no, this is no good at all, though Dracula, but I have a plan. I know my opponent to be a weak-willed, womanlike fool. If I can deal one resounding blow to their morale, then they may simply lose all will to find me. And with that Dracula turned into a wolf, and ran through Bucharest to Galatz... that's when he started talking. Taunting. Mocking. "You'll never find me" he sneered, "for I am too clever and too well hidden. I will run circles around you! You didn't even check Spain. Central Europe is completely open, you have made serious errors all over! Also, you're dumb! BWAHAHAHAHAHA" The taunting was to much effect, too, for the next turn Godalming was racing to the sea (Constanata), and with use of his vast resources (and an event card) in the Meditteranean a turn later.

"BWAHAHAHAHAHA!" the count laughed, placing down ambushes, vampires, and other nasty things to mature. "Even if they do find me, my foolish opponnent will never check my old trail. She will be too busy chasing me down the coast, and the land around Castle Dracula will grow rich with the evil of old that for so long I have dreamed of. An ambush in Galatz. A vampire bride in Klausberg. Wolves in Budapest, a pistol-bearing agent in Vienna (oh, it seems she knows I'm in Eastern Europe now. HA! The fool), fog in Zagreb, and finally... wait, what?

"You need to reveal all your locations around me."

"Fine, madam. Vienna and Zagreb are yours for the picking."

"No, you're in Sarajevo."

"I could be hiding in Zagreb."

"No you couldn't."

"Right."

"You're nowhere near me. I shall be gone after Mina moves, and then you shall be the fool! I will take to the seas, the turn after (or possibly the turn after that!) and I will flee these insignificant countries to find grander game in Europe Proper! You are done!"

"No, I'm using my Resolve to move Mina there instantly."

"She loses 5 health."

"I think she'll be find."

"Well I do not!" *springs into attack*

Oh but the Count is proud. With an ally of unexpected irritation (lose 2 blood every time the count retreats) he refused to retreat, even though it was day. "Just 3 wounds!" he thought, "and they will be finished. My vampire will mature, for they are in no position to find her, Mina will be dead, and I will be one long day away from ending their farcical search forever!"

"It's daytime. You're so dead, just retreat."

"No Madam, it is you who should retreat."

And so the battle went. Claws and stakes, dodging silver bullets, back and forth and back and forth. One kill on Dracula (the horror), 2 wounds on Mina (SUCCESS!), another kill (THE HORROR, BUT I HAVE INVESTED TOO MUCH) and then tragedy. A disastrous turn of fate! A failed dodge. A shot. Sacred bullets scattering undead flesh. A fall.

Undone by his pride, the Vampire Lord fell like all good villains: dramatically. "CURSE YOU MINA HARKER!"

And with that Dracula learned that sometimes running away, especially during the daytime, even against a weak-willed woman, and even if it cost 2 blood, is sometimes an important strategy to consider.

"Oh man, but you had no idea, that third moved I went RIGHT THROUGH YOU! I was buzzing you! TOYING WITH YOU! How awesome was that?!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. And how very appropriate that the Evil Count Dracula should be undone by his own pride and arrogance. Such is ever the downfall of evil masterminds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Wong
United States
Marlboro
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many Sacred Bullets did Mina have? I thought Sacred Bullets were discarded after their first use, like Holy Water.

Yeah, it's unbelievable how quickly combat can go poorly for Dracula. And in the day? Ugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Senko
Slovakia
flag msg tools
I made the same mistake as dracula...
I let Mina use sacred bullets multiple times
That put me at 4 blood before I escaped...
Anyway, I managed to win that game, but this did not help...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PaulW
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BagpipeDan wrote:
*springs into attack*

Oops.

BagpipeDan wrote:
And with that Dracula learned that sometimes running away, especially during the daytime...

Daytime?!? Double Oops.

I know that new players really want to be the big bad Drac, but that is not Drac's style in this game.

If you are Drac in combat then...

a) if it is Daytime, run away and then run some more.
b) if it is Night and players are armed, run away.
c) if it is Night and players are armed but weak, think about fighting, but you should be running away. Hopefully you just run.

BagpipeDan wrote:
One kill on Dracula (the horror),...

The kill should have ended combat. Did you miss that rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PaulW
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
awong wrote:
How many Sacred Bullets did Mina have? I thought Sacred Bullets were discarded after their first use, like Holy Water.

Yep. Sacred Bullets is a 'one shot' deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PaulW
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pbwedz wrote:
BagpipeDan wrote:
One kill on Dracula (the horror),...

The kill should have ended combat. Did you miss that rule?

Oops, that's not right. Never post early in the morning. snore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Okay, just to clarify for people who read this later, we did mess that up. We didn't realize what bold/italicized meant so we just ignored it.

I did learn discretion, though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.