Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Preischel
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The rules state that when building your Alhambra you cannot leave an empty space, one that has a tile on each of the 4 sides. Would surrounding 2 adjacent empty spaces be allowed since neither empty space would have tiles on all 4 sides or would you treat the 2 adjacent empty spaces as one large space and having tiles on the 6 adjacent sides would then be illegal? Like so (T=Tile, E=Empty):

T T T T
T E E T
T T T

Is this legal or not?

(The letters didn't line up as well as I had hoped but I think you get the idea.)

Thanks,
Phollower

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Phollower wrote:
The rules state that when building your Alhambra you cannot leave an empty space, one that has a tile on each of the 4 sides. Would surrounding 2 adjacent empty spaces be allowed since neither empty space would have tiles on all 4 sides or would you treat the 2 adjacent empty spaces as one large space and having tiles on the 6 adjacent sides would then be illegal? Like so (T=Tile, E=Empty):

T T T T
T E E T
T T T

Is this legal or not?

(The letters didn't line up as well as I had hoped but I think you get the idea.)

Thanks,
Phollower

I do not think that would be legal.

"You must not leave any "spaces" (i.e. an empty area surrounded on all sides by building tiles).
p. 4 http://www.queen-games.de/PDFHelp/28_English.pdf

Cheers,
Van
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
    Van is correct on this one. Regardless of the size of the empty region, it cannot be completely surrounded.

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll agree; a space doesn't have to be only 1 tile in size. Does anyone know why that is a rule? Why not allow spaces?

-Gendo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
I'll agree; a space doesn't have to be only 1 tile in size. Does anyone know why that is a rule? Why not allow spaces?

If you could, then it would be very easy to just throw every tile you buy along a single outer ring of a palace with huge empty spaces in the middle, thus allowing you to use more tiles than you normally could and add most of them to your large outer wall. Usability of tiles in your configuration becomes much less of an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
    The real reason is more practical -- the open spaces are just havens for bugs and vermin. Tall grass, standing water, etc. If mice get into your Manor house . . . and DON'T EVEN THINK about using the pavilion during mosquito season.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Preischel
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks everybody. That's how we played it. And thank goodness. I hate mosquitos and I hadn't foreseen the bug problem at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
England
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this, then?

E |T T
__|__
T |E |T
|__|
T T T

Hopefully that diagram makes some sense. It is basically the same scenario but with walls surrounding the empty space in the middle. We ruled that it's still a space and therefore illegal.

Should the walls make any difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lampus
United States
Blue Bell
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Newsh wrote:
How about this, then?

E |T T
__|__
T |E |T
|__|
T T T

Hopefully that diagram makes some sense. It is basically the same scenario but with walls surrounding the empty space in the middle. We ruled that it's still a space and therefore illegal.

Should the walls make any difference?

I do not think walls make a difference, so this would be illegal as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn King
United Kingdom
Crewe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've ruled that this scenario is legal since the space is not "in" your Alhambra - it is outside the walls.

I'd be interested to know the official ruling on this - but I suspect that we will continue to play this way whatever the ruling is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr King wrote:
We've ruled that this scenario is legal since the space is not "in" your Alhambra - it is outside the walls.

Nope, still illegal.

The rules are about spaces in *tiles*. Not "walls" or "Alhambra". It's purely the physical layout on the table in regards to the tiles that you want to think about, not the thematic visualization of the building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.