Subject: Risk 2003 Mission cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rumpel Stiltzkin
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello,

I played the Portuguese version of Risk recently, which was printed in 2004 and is translated off the 2003 version by Hasbro. In this version there are 4 'decks' of mission cards, some ask to defeat X number of enemies or do Y number of conquests, but they don't specify the timing for those. So in that game we kept a tally of the territories and defeated armies over the entire game and allowed the missions to be completed based on that. But it didn't feel right...

I've read people interpret these missions as having to take place in a single turn instead of over several turns. But is this an interpretation or is it actually described in the cards in the original version? Is there an official word on this?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Cottam
msg tools
I'm afraid I don't know! We played this new version recently (after having played the old version with simple missions before) and were very confused. For example (although I didn't agree with this ruling then or now), my friends played that if you got, say, three "conquer a territory in (however many) different continents" cards then they were allowed to conquer the requisite territories for the highest card, then 'cash in' their mission cards after the subsequent turns without conquering any more territories!

Hmmm, hope that makes sense! It's annoying though because not only are the mission cards very vague, the rule book is utterly useless and gives no clarification on the missions whatsoever! Anyway, if and when sombody could clear this up, id be most interested to hear what they have to say. I'm just sorry it can't be me!

Ben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hereford
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is exactly what I was going to ask too! While we were playing we found that we had interpreted the missions in different ways, and I couldn't believe that it wasn't explained in the rule book.

I find it particularly annoying with missions like gaining 18 reinforcements or 3 invasions across water etc. In one turn? Accumulatively? Sometimes you can guess which it means, but sometimes it isn't clear at all and it can radically alter the game.

Someone tell me, please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to what I have read on the subject, it seems that the Mission Cards from the 2003 version are meant to be fulfilled within one turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hereford
flag msg tools
mbmb
Initially I thought it must be in one turn, but now I'm not so sure.

To use 'make 3 invasions across water' (or whatever the wording is) as an example, you can actually be in a position where it is impossible to complete your mission. Basically, if you were to complete two of the invasions and then be unsuccessful in your attempt at the third one, you would have to rely on someone invading the territories you just conquored in order for you to try again at getting all three in the same go. That just doesn't make sense. Your opposition would just not attack you.

Obviously it wouldn't be difficult if you were allowed to do it accumulatively though. But if you are allowed to do that one accumulatively, which other ones can you do that way? I really hate unclear rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, how many invasions across water can you make, anyway? There are plenty of water connections, so I don't see there being any real shortage, even if you make two and fail on all others, since they're mostly in the area of Eurasiafrica. Then there's Greenland, Iceland and the Alaska-Kamchatka line, Madagascar, Japan... yeah, no shortage. But if, for some reason, you control all of the territories in question, and your opponents refuse to take them back, then... guess what, it's conquer-the-whole-world time for you! devil

Or you could do a house rule saying if there are absolutely no water connections left that aren't under your control, you automatically succeed in the 3-water-invasions endeavor.

Either way, the all-in-one-turn rule is still enforced.

EDIT: I decided to total up the number of water connections there were in the whole Risk world. AS it happens, there are a total of 23 water connections which encompass 26 territories. Even if those are the only territories you own, that's 62% of the map right there, so if your opponents are not touching those territories with a long iron pole, you're going to win this game, since you'll get 8 armies a turn, plus 2 more for the entirety of Australia, while the most a single opposition player could get is 5.surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hereford
flag msg tools
mbmb
Fair point! But even if the chances of preventing yourself from conquoring a territory and therefore completing a mission are remote, it still seems like a hole in the rule.

And if you have to take extra turns getting yourself into position to have a go at another three, you may as well just have played accumulatively, as you'd have needed another go to do that anyway!

I suppose I'm always in favour of keeping the game moving, it takes long enough as it is, and that particular rule is only meant to be an easy one after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In response to your "hole-in-the-rule" theory, I would hazard a guess that there are more Mission cards than just the 3-territories-by-water one that can be made impossible to finish by certain circumstances, such as the card requiring you to take a continent which you held no part of, all in one turn. If enough of these possible situations exist, it is quite possible that the game developers knew what they were doing.

In order to lay down a definitive ruling, though, I would have to see a copy of the rules as they are transcribed in the official pamphlet that comes with the 2003 edition of Risk. Without such documentation, I shall continue to stand by what I have said in my previous post, especially the part about house rules.

And, for that matter, I'd like to see a transcript of all 28 mission cards that came in the box in the first place, for my own personal reasons. (CoughMissionRisk2210ADCough)arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.