1831» Forums » Rules

Subject: hostile takeovers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Work
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
It says in the rules that you need to be able to buy the preferred shares and have 1/2 of the companies' assets in order for a hostile takeover to happen. What is the reason why you need 1/2 of the assets to do a hostile takeover? If that has historical value, what happens with 1/2 of the assets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Are you aware that the designer is dead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
All the same, JC, it doesn't seem at all unreasonable for someone to ask for rules clarifications. There's an active publisher who can probably field such things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Except that the request is for the reasoning behind a rule -- a question of intent, not a clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
All the same, JC, it doesn't seem at all unreasonable for someone to ask for rules clarifications. There's an active publisher who can probably field such things.

As a publisher, I try not to get into rules questions for two reasons--the designers are far more knowledgeable about their games than me and I'd rather avoid the problems due to multiple sources of rulings that other games have had. This is of course problematic for 1831, but there are many players that can answer questions knowledgeably based on communication with the designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schorfheide
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if it's useful but I saw this in the 1831 rules Q&A:

Quote:
Unsold assets are treated as having no value for takeovers. Only stock (common) that has been bought back into the company or system treasury is considered as ASSETS. In takeovers of companies, the stock bought back is included in the company's net worth. Trains are not included. Cash and buy-back stock divided by two (and then rounded up) equals net worth!

Source: http://home.earthlink.net/~gamecorner/1831clar.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.