8 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: gwek's custom ships - ship cards, proxy models, etc. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been asked a few times this week (mostly in PMs) what my plans are for existing and upcoming ships. I'd like to talk a bit about it, and ask for feedback from the community.

First off, I've already got stats for ACES & EIGHTS and WHITE LIGHTNING, with future plans for CANTANKEROUS, HUNTINGDON'S BOLT, LUCY (from Killjoys), THE BETTY (from Alien: Resurrection) and possibly others.

I want this to be as professional a proposition as possible, so my intention is to have:

1) A printable ship card

2) At least 1-2 recommended miniatures. This will typically include 1 ship from an existing game with similar models (eg, Shadowstar Corsairs or Centauri Saga), as well as a more easily accessible option (likely a 3D printing)

Note that if the two recommended miniatures are significantly visually different, I will make two different versions of the ship card available

For example, for the ACES & EIGHTS, you can either use the Renegade model from Shadowstar Corsairs, or do a 3D printing of NorseKnight's Aces & Eights. In this case, though, I will likely only have one image because the two ships are essentially the same (not 100%, but same designer and same intentions).

Does this seem like a reasonable course of action to folks?

If I move forward with this model, there are a few things I'd like help with, such as:

COLOR: With the official models, quite a few colors are already slotted in, leaving, well, not too many options. Here's what I'm tentatively thinking:

Aces & Eights - Green, brighter than the Bonanza

White Lightning - magenta / light purple

CanTankerous - cream/tan

Huntingdon's Bolt - light blue

Lucy - ???

The Betty - ???

Next up, I'd be interested in suggestions for models for ships past the A&E.

We've got a lot of options in threads like this:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1604860/proxy-ships-mult...

and this:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1563448/ships-ships-ship...

To provide a starting point, here are some images for the White Lightning, CanTankerous, and Huntingdon's Bolt.

Right now, for the White Lightning, I'm leaning heavily toward the Scarab (another mini from Shadowstar Corsairs), as depicted below. Although the details differ, I feel like it evokes the same sort of blocky, utilitarian feeling.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Note that if the two recommended miniatures are significantly visually different, I will make two different versions of the ship card available...Does this seem like a reasonable course of action to folks?

Very reasonable indeed.

gwek wrote:
If I move forward with this model, there are a few things I'd like help with, such as:

COLOR: With the official models, quite a few colors are already slotted in, leaving, well, not too many options. Here's what I'm tentatively thinking:

Aces & Eights - Green, brighter than the Bonanza

White Lightning - magenta / light purple

CanTankerous - cream/tan

Huntingdon's Bolt - light blue

Lucy - ???

The Betty - ???

Because of the dice pack, I'm especially down with any color that utilizes the two unused colors in the dice pack, the extra light teal die that currently matches the Artful Dodger, and anything remotely colored similar to the original dice. Again, this is because I essentially have 5 unassigned dice. And it sounds like the colors you've selected above already accommodate that...except perhaps for the Aces & Eights. But I'm good.

Any color will do, especially if the ship proxies are available via 3-D print sites like shapeways (norseknight's ships for example), allowing for custom colors at time of print. Otherwise, I can paint a ship model whatever it needs to be (despite me not being a mini painter).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't have the dice in front of my, but the green I was thinking of the A&E is probably closer to the actual die than the Bonanza is.

BTW, Ryan recommended that spraypaint might work work on the Shadowstar Corsair figures. Little or no skill required!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
BTW, Ryan recommended that spraypaint might work work on the Shadowstar Corsair figures. Little or no skill required!

That's good news. In the end, my buddy and I aren't too picky (especially him--you'll find his picture if you google the phrase "laid back"). I tend to be a lot more picky in theory than in practice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My SC ships arrived today, and I'm as pleased as pie with them. They're quite a good match for the 'verse. And they scale much better than I had expected. I'm not sure why, but I had expected them to be bigger. I'm glad I was wrong! And the Aces & Eights will definitely see some action in our Firefly session this evening--the ship that is, though my cards haven't arrived yet. Here is a pic of the ships for comparison:

In the end, none of the ships are scaled perfectly to one another, so close enough is close enough (just look at the cruiser for example).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice, Darin!

After some contemplation (and a side conversation with Darin), I've decided I'm going to make as much use of Ryan Wolfe's ships as proxies as possible, so:

Renegade = Aces & Eights
Scarab = White Lightning
Gryphon = Huntingdon's Bolt

The Midnight Rose and Clydesdale will be used at some point, too. If anyone was on the fence about ordering either Shadowstar Corsairs or a pack of the ships, I hope this puts you over!

I'm not sure if the other ships will be used, but I'm open to exploring ideas. I'd love to find a way to use the space space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the sticking points of doing a custom ship is having artwork to match the miniature or vice versa. These come with both. So win / win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Indeed!

I can't speak for the pack as a whole, but Ryan gave his seal of approval for using the Renegade as one of the recommended proxies for the Aces & Eights, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.