15 Posts

Runebound (Third Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Shield Symbol rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Meeple Meeple
Germany
flag msg tools
Can you double a shield symbol in combat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan A.Y.
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mb
yes, but enemies do not have to stack all their damage at once, they can deal one damage at a time from damage symbols. And once you double your shield and block an attack, both tokens are spent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Altasia wrote:
yes, but enemies do not have to stack all their damage at once, they can deal one damage at a time from damage symbols. And once you double your shield and block an attack, both tokens are spent.

where does it say the enemy doesnt have to spend all their damage tokens at once?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Dennison
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
where does it say the enemy doesnt have to spend all their damage tokens at once?

On page 13 of the LtP Book.

(Enemy only) Deal enemy damage. Spend any
number of [Skull] symbols to deal enemy damage equal
to the total value of [Skull] spent. The [Skull] symbols can be
spent from multiple tokens.

Same wording applies to all 3 damage types.

It does not say to spend all your symbols, but rather, any number. It is up to you to spend as much damage as you want in the attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthofZA wrote:
Klaxas wrote:

On page 13 of the LtP Book.

(Enemy only) Deal enemy damage. Spend any
number of [Skull] symbols to deal enemy damage equal
to the total value of [Skull] spent. The [Skull] symbols can be
spent from multiple tokens.

Same wording applies to all 3 damage types.

It does not say to spend all your symbols, but rather, any number. It is up to you to spend as much damage as you want in the attack.

i havent been through the rulebook in a while, i will look this up again when i can, i was sure you had to spend all of one type of damage at once. i have been wrong before though lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
i havent been through the rulebook in a while, i will look this up again when i can, i was sure you had to spend all of one type of damage at once. i have been wrong before though lol

For what it's worth, I wanted to be another user to confirm that you do not have to spend all of your like tokens at once. In fact, you don't need to spend any tokens if you don't want to. And in some cases, such as when controlling an enemy against Master Thorn who used Mind Meld, it may be most appropriate not to attack Thorn at all.

Perhaps what you may have misinterpreted was that you may spend all of your physical or all of your magic tokens at once, if you choose. You don't have to, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Klaxas wrote:

You might be thinking of the rule that only 1 type of damage can be used at once - you cannot spend 1 physical and 1 magical together, for example. But that doesn't mean you must spend all available tokens of that type.

Dan is right you don't have to spend any tokens at all - you can Pass. But remember, in that case you cannot take any more actions that combat round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Ivey
United States
Vadnais Heights
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify, you do NOT have to spend all like damage tokens at once and you cannot spend both magic and melee at the same time...

If you had 2 skulls and 1 magic you have the following options:
Spend 1 skull, spend 1 skull, spend 1 magic
Spend 2 skulls, spend 1 magic

This can be used strategically to deal with shields...

Also if you chose NOT to spend a token, then you are passing and as such can no longer spend tokens until the next round with the exception of shields.

You HAVE to a least spend 1 token to prevent yourself from basically skipping the round. Dashes cannot be spent, and surges cannot be spent unless they are activating a surge ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dustin1280 wrote:
To clarify, you do NOT have to spend all like damage tokens at once and you cannot spend both magic and melee at the same time...

Spend 2 skulls, spend 1 magic

This can be used strategically to deal with shields...

To further clarify, Monsters only have Skull symbols with which to attack. They are not able to use tokens with the Magic Damage symbol and are not given any.

Also, you necro'd a year old thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan
United States
Clayton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Dustin1280 wrote:

Spend 2 skulls, spend 1 magic.

I was trying to figure this out last night. Where is this information from Dustin? I tend to agree with David above. You must use only one type of token, the amount of which is up to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
HerbinLegend wrote:
Dustin1280 wrote:

I was trying to figure this out last night. Where is this information from Dustin? I tend to agree with David above. You must use only one type of token, the amount of which is up to you.

Learn to play, pag 13, definition of Combat Actions (for example)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan
United States
Clayton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Scarlet Witch wrote:
HerbinLegend wrote:
Dustin1280 wrote:

Learn to play, pag 13, definition of Combat Actions (for example)

So you are reading the "Spend any number of 'X' symbols", under each damage type, as the rules saying use any of these at the same time? It is not explicit in saying either one damage type or any damage types.

I am not being snarky or anything I just want clarification. Yesterday was literally my second play through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
HerbinLegend wrote:
So you are reading the "Spend any number of 'X' symbols", under each damage type, as the rules saying use any of these at the same time? It is not explicit in saying either one damage type or any damage types.

I am not being snarky or anything I just want clarification. Yesterday was literally my second play through.

No worries, you've all the rights to know how to play properly

A combat is structured as a series of combat actions: player A resolves one combat action, then his opponent, then back to A, and so on.

As a combat action you may do a series of things, but when it comes to spend tokens, you can spend as a single combat action only one type of token: both the LtP and the Rules Reference show a list of symbols as combat actions. I concur that rules are not 100% bullet-proof here (many have asked in the past, many will in the future), but this FAQ entry clarifies everything:

Q. Can I spend magical and physical damage at the same time?
A. No. Each symbol type is its own combat action.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan
United States
Clayton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Scarlet Witch wrote:
HerbinLegend wrote:

No worries, you've all the rights to know how to play properly

A combat is structured as a series of combat actions: player A resolves one combat action, then his opponent, then back to A, and so on.

As a combat action you may do a series of things, but when it comes to spend tokens, you can spend as a single combat action only one type of token: both the LtP and the Rules Reference show a list of symbols as combat actions. I concur that rules are not 100% bullet-proof here (many have asked in the past, many will in the future), but this FAQ entry clarifies everything:

Q. Can I spend magical and physical damage at the same time?
A. No. Each symbol type is its own combat action.

Hope this helps!

Ok that is perfectly clear. That is what I thought (and what I was saying). I may not have been clear in my wordage. Thanks for the clarification Julia!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
HerbinLegend wrote:
Ok that is perfectly clear. That is what I thought (and what I was saying). I may not have been clear in my wordage. Thanks for the clarification Julia!

Happy I helped, Jordan! Have fun with the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.