Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jono D
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi All,

Quick clarrificatino about the 'Move' Action on a players player mat.

The manual says:

'Move up to two different units'

I was of the interpretation that that meant that you cannot move the same unit twice (unlike factory move) although I played with someone recently that was telling me that the manual should not have emphasized 'different' like it has and that the actual rule is that I can move up to two different units once or one unit twice (ignoring upgrades).

With this other players interpretation, once upgrades come into play I can do any combination - eg move one unit twice and another movement once.

He was adamant. I just went along with it having only played once before but I'm interested to know what the actual ruling is?

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of those rules that I simply cannot believe anyone would have a problem understanding. Seriously. It says two different units. How do you interpret that to mean that the same unit can move twice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jono D
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
He was more focused on the keyword 'up to' and said that that should be italicized instead. Even if it was I don't think I would change my understanding of this rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all about the bubbles.

On the action mats the Move action has two 'running man' icons, but each is within it's own bubble/button. A unit can only use one move 'bubble' per turn.

You can see the difference by looking at the bottom action on the factory cards. It has two 'running man' icons within a single 'bubble'. So with the factory card bottom action one unit can move twice.

But the standard move top action on the mat has two bubbles - so you move two different units, one move each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jono D
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bobpony wrote:

On the action mats the Move action has two 'running man' icons, but each is within it's own bubble/button. A unit can only use one move 'bubble' per turn.

You can see the difference by looking at the bottom action on the factory cards. It has two 'running man' icons within a single 'bubble'. So with the factory card bottom action one unit can move twice.

But the standard move top action on the mat has two bubbles - so you move two different units, one move each.

Excellent answer thank you. I assumed that was the case too, Thanks for clarifying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope he didn't also try to produce multiple times in the same hex in one action, because that's also not how that action works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose if you moved a Mech first which carried a worker 1 hex, then moved that same worker another hex, then technically that worker moved 2 hexes that round. But otherwise all figures are limited to 1 hex per move action, unless you have an ability that says otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormzors wrote:

The manual says:

'Move up to two different units'

I get that rules can be tough to interpret sometimes, but this is so clear I am amazed someone tried to rules lawyer this. The "up to" clearly means you don't have to move two units, one is acceptable, and different is in italics to stress that you cannot move the same unit twice!

Not sure how stressing "different" could possibly indicate that you could move the same unit, that isn't what "different" means

Is this person always like this? Doesn't sound like fun to play with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Gorman
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
bobpony wrote:

Wait, move twice? OP's friend might take this to mean move+speed, move again+speed for four territory's. Indeed, the rule book says "Move one unit up to two times", but also clarifies that, with speed, "your mech or character may move up to 3 territories".

I love how most of these ambiguities are clarified. Nice work as usual Stonemayer team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ggorman6 wrote:
bobpony wrote:

Wait, move twice? OP's friend might take this to mean move+speed, move again+speed for four territory's. Indeed, the rule book says "Move one unit up to two times", but also clarifies that, with speed, "your mech or character may move up to 3 territories".

I love how most of these ambiguities are clarified. Nice work as usual Stonemayer team.

Yes, it's great that they were quite explicit in clarifying that situation (factory move + speed = 3). I just realized thanks to your post that it's now three hexes - I'd learned the game using the original pnp rules last year, and at that time the rules said factory move + speed = 4! So I've been teaching all of my friends that it's four hexes. We've been playing wrong!

Oh well. That's going to make it more difficult for Wojtek to hoover up all of those encounter cards.

Here's a link to that discussion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Howitt
United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the OP the emphasis on different really threw me off. I played my first game where I only moved one figure of one type e.g mech/worker/character one space, then another type one space. I queried the rule because it felt hampered and I suspected I was interpreting the rule incorrectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.