The Voyages of Marco Polo» Forums » General

Subject: Characters & Objective card balance? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'd like to know if you feel objective cards are balanced and if the characters are too.

Also im looking at the board, why would somebody want to go get Adana..?

Poll
Characters Balanced?
yes
no
      74 answers
Poll created by generalpotato

Poll
Objective Balanced?
yes
no
      67 answers
Poll created by generalpotato

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morris Ho
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Characters balanced? Depends on the board.

Objectives balanced? Depends on the character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chasseur d'Ours
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO all characters are overpowered
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bunyan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harrycover wrote:
IMO all characters are overpowered

And all the objective cards are too hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the characters seem to have a crazy OP ability that upon first glance, seems totally broken and to powerful. Thats only if you look at them individually tho. If ALL the characters have an ability like that (which is true in this game) then it all evens out. Ie, 'if everyone is special, then no one is' kinda thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have only played a game or two, you'll always feel that the character who beat you that single time was overpowered and that your objectives were too hard.

This is a game that rewards multiple plays because the long term strategy and the need to adapt on-the-fly go quite deep. We have played it a couple dozen times (it's a favorite, can't you tell?), and in our group every player manages to end within 2-3 points fom the next one most of the time, no matter the character or the cities they chose, how much they traveled or how they did on contracts (but you have to do at least a bit of everything at some point to be able to keep up, and don't waste your dice on stuff that won't give you good points later).

The variable setup of the cities, the objectives, the characters and even the starting player order will influence your viable strategies for each game, you have to learn to "read" the board even before you make your choice of characters/objectives, and to adapt if the other players start blocking the stuff you need, so you know when/if traveling is gonna be worth it or even possible, if you can ignore an objective city or two when you can get a better return for your effort going somewhere else or doing contracts, and to travel for cheap using contract bonuses if you have one of those characters that benefit from moving a lot.

As for why someone would want to get to X city, it depends on the card that's there. A couple of games ago my sister-in-law managed to squeeze more than 30 VP just from converting resouces into points with a couple of cities (it beats what you get for doing all your objectives, even the hard ones). Once again, reading the board is very, very important.

Sure, sometimes if you choose poorly based on the setup and if the other players know well what they are doing, a certain character may be at a serious disadvantage (happened to me last time, they blocked me from moving a lot on the last two rounds with Altan Ord), but on the next game that same character or objective combination may feel like the overpowered one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted yes, but I think there are imbalances every game depending on setup and player count. And that's why character draft and 'draw 4 / discard 2' objectives is important.

Oh, but all of the promo characters are straight up too strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Heitzinger
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mfaulk80 wrote:
I voted yes, but I think there are imbalances every game depending on setup and player count. And that's why character draft and 'draw 4 / discard 2' objectives is important.

I felt the same way when playing with the promo characters. They get too many freebies, which the regular characters have trouble keeping up with.

What would you do to make them a bit more fair? I haven't played too much with them to get any solid ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rachelisapoopy wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:

I felt the same way when playing with the promo characters. They get too many freebies, which the regular characters have trouble keeping up with.

What would you do to make them a bit more fair? I haven't played too much with them to get any solid ideas.

As of right now, we either play a regular game or a promo game. As long as everyone has a promo character, it seems to work out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpotato wrote:
Also im looking at the board, why would somebody want to go get Adana..?
A) They have an objective that requires it.
B) There is an attractive city bonus marker there
C) They can generate money efficiently and want to take a shorter (but more costly) route to Kochi
D) They have a character that makes it easier to achieve (probably the one that lets you teleport around the board or the one that starts with two meeples)

mfaulk80 wrote:
all of the promo characters are straight up too strong.
I've only played with one, be he definitely seemed overpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sérgio N.
Portugal
Lousã
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem I see with the characters is the imbalance between abilities/powers that require some effort/input to provide some benefit and, on the other hand, the abilities/powers that are completely passive and its owner doesn't have to do or pay anything to get the rewards...

I find this extremely overpowered and imbalanced!... (e.g. Mercator Ex-Tabriz and Fratre Nicolao).

Nonetheless I love this game!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.