3 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question Regarding Marker (ICE) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephanie K
Canada
flag msg tools
I'm fairly new to the game and my friend had some questions I couldn't exactly resolve. So, lets say you have 2 ICE protecting a server, the closest to the server is a sentry type and the other is Marker. My friend was wondering if Marker's subroutine would be applied to the sentry type ICE in a way such that it gains sentry and code gate types.

Or, would it have been okay to simply allow Marker's subroutine to occur, and when upon encountering the sentry type ICE, to use something like GS Shrike M2 and break all sentry subroutines including that which was attributed to Marker?

Thank you! We got into a heated discussion over it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shiheiro wrote:
I'm fairly new to the game and my friend had some questions I couldn't exactly resolve. So, lets say you have 2 ICE protecting a server, the closest to the server is a sentry type and the other is Marker. My friend was wondering if Marker's subroutine would be applied to the sentry type ICE in a way such that it gains sentry and code gate types.

Or, would it have been okay to simply allow Marker's subroutine to occur, and when upon encountering the sentry type ICE, to use something like GS Shrike M2 and break all sentry subroutines including that which was attributed to Marker?

it just adds a subroutine. subroutines intrinsically have no 'type,' it's just the type of ICE that has the subroutine

if a piece of ICE gains a subroutine (no matter how it gains them), its type is determined by the ICE itself when it comes to breaking it with programs

your second question is yes. in fact, that's what makes a few positional ICE like Marker, Chum, et al. not actually that great sometimes, because breaking the second piece of ICE can sometimes be cheaper than breaking both
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shiheiro wrote:

Subroutines are independent of subtypes. When Marker (or any other ICE) gives another ICE subroutines, that's all it's giving: subroutines. The type, strength, and any other property of the ICE doing the giving are irrelevant. The receiving ICE also doesn't 'know' anything about the fact it's been given this subroutine: essentially it just has that additional subroutine now (for as long as the giving effect lasts).

It's also worth pointing out quite how Icebreakers work with regards to subtypes. When a breaker says "break (number) of (subtype) subroutines", that means it can only be used on an ICE that has subtype. However, it doesn't matter what other subtypes that ICE has. For example, Rainbow or Orion - which have all three of Barrier, Code gate and Sentry can be equally broken by Corroder, Gordian Blade or Ninja.

More directly, ICE have sub-types. Subroutines do not have independent subtypes; they simply inherit whatever the ICE they're on has.

So in your example, even if the sentry ICE gained Marker's subtype as well (although, to re-iterate, it doesn't), you could still use GS Shrike M2 (the killer in Sunny's suite) to break all "sentry subroutines" and it would break the original set of subroutines and also the one given by Marker.

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.