Subject: # players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can it be played with 2 and/or modified for more than 5?
tnx
Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two doesn't work and more then five won't.

Still a fantastic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More than 5 would be really hard to do since the limitation there would be too much competition. You'd have to have more saga cards and probably redo the regions so they had more than 3 ports. The board also would be a bit small for that many players roaming around.

With 2 players you have the opposite problem. Most games that don't have a 2 player option involve some sort of auction or other mechanism that loses something with 2 players. In Fire & Axe you don't have that exactly. The limitation is that you don't have enough competition with only two players. Each player would just be able to go off on their own and not have to worry about another player interfering with their plans. That would make for a pretty boring game. Even with 3 players you can run into situations where the interaction between players can be minimal for a couple of turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the explanation. Simple games can easily be modified - like the gamer did for Seranissima, so I may get out my crayons, copy machines, etc........cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Welch
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
I think it works fine with 2 players. It's just thats it's one of those games that's in the same vein as Lawless, Pirate's Cove, and Mission: Red Planet, in that each player in a two-player game plays two colors/positions instead of one. It's especially like Mission: Red Planet in this regard in that the key in a two-player game of Fire & Axe is to find strategies for your two teams that complement each other and to avoid competing with yourself too much. Any of the 3 scoring methods from the two-player variant of Pirate's Cove could be used:

a) Score up the two teams separately, then add them together for your score,

b) Score the two teams separately, then use the higher of the two scores, dropping the lower one,

or

c) Same as method b, only using the lower of your two scores and dropping the higher one.

As far as the upper range of players is concerned, I'd say that 5 is probably my ideal for this game. The more competition, screwage, and clashing personalities, the better! As for whether 6 would be too much, I couldn't say until I tried it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played two player with each player only controlling one color. It seemed to work fine. there is the potential for one player to monopolize an area, but you always have the option and opportunity to race over there and stop them, which we did several times. In addition, some of the Rune cards allow you to remove an opponent's settlement, which you can then replace with your own.

If anything, it's a little MORE challenging than 3+ players, because you have to take care of business yourself. You can't count on some other player going over and stopping Player A from monopolizing a region.

If you were going to use Jason's suggestion above for multiple colors, I'd go with option C, as it's the most challenging. It seems too easy to flounder around with your 'off color', just using it as a foil for your opponent, or setting up your 'main color' for easier Raids and Settlements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davedanger wrote:
Can it be played with 2 and/or modified for more than 5?
tnx
Dave

Personally, I would find the downtime waiting for others to take their turns, a bit too tedious with more than 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.