Hide
5 Posts

DC Comics Deck-Building Game: Forever Evil» Forums » Rules

Subject: Firestorm Matrix vs Geokinesis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesus Christo
msg tools
An interesting scenario came up for the first time during a recent game of our playgroup's mixed-set main deck.

Player A used Firestorm Matrix to give a card (for the sake of argument, lets say it was Nth Metal) ONGOING for the remainder of the game. For reference, Firestorm Matrix's text is:

Play the top card of your deck. If its cost is 5 or less, you may destroy this card. If you do, leave the card you played in front of you for the rest of the game and it has; "ONGOING: You may play this card once during each of your turns. (At end of game, destroy it.)"

Player B then plays Geokinesis and successfully attacks Player A, forcing Player A to discard the ONGOING Nth Metal. For reference, Geokinesis' text is:

+2 POWER and choose a foe.
ATTACK: Put an ONGOING card that foe controls into their discard pile.

Normally our group is pretty good about reasoning out corner-case rules interactions, but this one stumped us, so I thought we'd look for some official guidance. What happens to the Nth Metal?

1) If Player A draws Nth Metal and replays it later in the game, does it still retain the ONGOING ability given to it from Firestorm Matrix?

2) If the Nth Metal loses the ONGOING ability, does it still get destroyed at the end of the game, per Firestorm Matrix?

Thanks for taking some time to help us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B-Rad
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm taking a shot at this, but I'm sure some Cryptozoic friends will be along soon to confirm or refute.

1. I don't believe it would retain the Ongoing trait. To me it would seem that you'd need to use Firestorm Matrix on it again.

2. I would not think so, since in forcing you to discard the card, the other player would have negated its Ongoing trait as per above.

You guys really did find a good one, in terms of rules needing clarification. The Crypto Crew will be along soon, and then we shall know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesus Christo
msg tools
That was what we ended up playing it as, but the group was split pretty evenly and both sides made good points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
3D board game prints: https://www.3dhubs.com/los-angeles/hubs/martin-chino
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards do not have memory once the leave play.
The Nth metal will go to the discard pile as just an equipment with only its initial text and no memory of what is was before.
You could then replay it again from Firestorm Matrix

If you do not make it again but just use it as Nth metal it will not be destroyed by Firestorm Matrix as it no longer has memory of that either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tawnos76 wrote:
Cards do not have memory once the leave play.
The Nth metal will go to the discard pile as just an equipment with only its initial text and no memory of what is was before.
You could then replay it again from Firestorm Matrix

If you do not make it again but just use it as Nth metal it will not be destroyed by Firestorm Matrix as it no longer has memory of that either.

^This^
Assume you Firestormed a Kick, but you have 3 other Kicks in your deck.
Once the "fire-Kick" gets shuffled back in, who's to say which Kick is which anymore?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.