Tyrants of the Underdark» Forums » General

Subject: Worst box insert in ages? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
...and the Eye of Sauron the Terrible few could endure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, when will companies learn to make decent box inserts, or at least ones that can hold sleeved cards?

This one you can throw out immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The majority of game purchasers don't sleeve their cards, so larger slots in the insert leave unsleeved cards rattling around. If it's worse for the majority, then there's no real reason to do it.

I do agree that the insert for this game is awful. The reality is that, for many companies, the insert exists simply to prevent (or minimise) component damage in transit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe companies need to start making inserts, for inserts. If someone wants to sleeve their cards they can remove the small insert to allow more room for sleeved cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, you have a copy?

I haven't received a shipping notice on mine yet. Dang.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo Lefebvre
Canada
flag msg tools
This is a very interesting idea, but I think the fact that you would need an additional mold for the added piece and an additional step to "assemble" it might turn off most of the companies. The simple linear inserts with foam blocks like Legendary and sentinels of the multiverse seem to be the most efficient way for the companies and for the players as well to make it all work at the lowest cost possible.

But +1 for insert inserts. Zombicide has a card holder you can buy that fits cards with and without sleeves, depending the orientation of the cards. It isn't cheap, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another problem with this insert is that it won't even hold the inevitable expansions. That is bad design in my book. Lots of air in the box, so it could have been done better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Inserts aren't primarily for storing games; they're for protecting the game components in shipping.

Throw out the insert, and don't feel guilty about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the worst box insert was Castles of Mad King Ludwig - because there wasn't one, and it didn't even provide ample baggies :|

$70 well spent, i guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think companies that Kickstart games should do what Artana did and contract with the insert companies. If I had the option of having a Broken Token custom insert added to my pledge at a slightly reduced cos than buying it later on, I'd do it in a heartbeat. The insert for Tesla vs Edison looks AWESOME!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wish I had my copy so I could complain about and throw away that insert!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ash tekka
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just picked up my copy from my lfgs. The insert is terrible. I'll be designing a lasercut wood one as soon as I can. I'll see if I can do one before I head to Gen Con but most likely it may be after that for it to be available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ash tekka
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I finished my design for the wooden organizer.
It has removable token boxes, holds cards at an angle, and holds all the game boards safely.
Check out the eBay listing for pictures and details.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More like worst board art ever...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Blackoth wrote:

You people are the board game equivalent of graphics-whores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
Blackoth wrote:

Insert-whores? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Doomfarer wrote:
Seriously, when will companies learn to make decent box inserts, or at least ones that can hold sleeved cards?

Well, it is miles better than any FFG insert, not to mention FFG expansion (e.g. all Battlelore expansions) which do not even have boxes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Faber
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
Blackoth wrote:

Does it make me a whore to think this is unacceptable card back art for a $75 game?

I mean, I think the gameplay looks great, but the most charitable term one could use for the graphic design would be 'minimalist'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David ElPelos
Spain
Xixón
Asturies
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
75$???
I recived my copy yesterday and paid 56€, wich means (more or less) 62$

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CapitanBlood wrote:
75$???
I recived my copy yesterday and paid 56€, wich means (more or less) 62$

But maybe MSRP is 75? I don't know, but I've seen it in an online shop for an equivalent of 50$.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
maxlongstreet wrote:
Ethereality wrote:
Blackoth wrote:

Does it make me a whore to think this is unacceptable card back art for a $75 game?

I mean, I think the gameplay looks great, but the most charitable term one could use for the graphic design would be 'minimalist'.

Still, it is a great move forward... have you played any of the D&D Adventure board games? Here at least the cards have pictures!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomfarer wrote:

You should check out the original Lords of Vegas insert...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Doomfarer wrote:

Oh, I just thought of a game, I wonder what your thoughts would be on Warhammer Quest Silver tower or any other Games Workshop game... they do not have any insert! Makes you appreciate the bad inserts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomfarer wrote:

And this makes you call this thread WORST insert in AGES???

Tyrants insert is not better or worse than most game inserts.

Can you name any inserts of games that allow for sleeved cards? Especially preium sleeved cards while at the same time being a good insert for gamers that do not like to sleeve their cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
Doomfarer wrote:

Can you name any inserts of games that allow for sleeved cards? Especially preium sleeved cards while at the same time being a good insert for gamers that do not like to sleeve their cards?

Sure, no problem, Civilization: Through the ages third edition, Thunderstone Advance Worlds collide and Marvel Legendary (in the last case the space for sleeved cards is a bit limited, but considering how silly sleeving is I have not tried it with this game, think they would all fit)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
Doomfarer wrote:

I love the game but I'm going to be chucking that insert soon. Even as a non-sleever. It has some major issues. There is no good way to organize the cards in the insert. The way they were distributed worked in transit because the cards were packaged, but if you try to put them in the way they came in (all the starter decks, Priestesses, House Guards and Insane Outcasts in one slot, two half-decks in each of the other two slots) there are too many cards in the starter/core cards slot and they start overflowing from the top if you give any movement to the box. Even taking the Insane Outcasts out and putting them in with the Demons half-deck didn't stop the starter and base cards from flowing out of their assigned area and mixing in transport, not to mention one or two times I had to fish out Drow or Elemental Evil cards from the wrong slot because they had migrated in transit.

The card holders themselves are badly designed and while the top cards on the decks will flow willy-nilly around in your box, the bottom cards are a pain to get out of that recess as there's no room for your fingers to reach in.

Further, that's not even a good insert style for a deckbuilder. There should have been slots for each starter deck, separate slots for each half-deck, and *ideally* separate slots for each of Priestesses, House Guards and Insane Outcast cards.

That's not even touching on the "sleeved cards" debate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.