Subject: Necromancer Spawn Zones and double spawns... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gutripper
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read a few answers to this question, but they still didn't stick for me. Can I put a few scenarios out there just to get my understanding right:

Scenario 1:
Spawn Phase - 2 Spawn Zones A and B (in different locations)

Spawn Zone A - draws a Necromancer card, places new Necromancer Spawn Zone there
Necromancer Spawn Zone: Draws double Spawn:

A - I now draw two cards for the Necro Spawn Zone (as its not part of spawn zone rotation)?

or

B - I now draw two cards for Spawn Zone B?

(If A - In subsequent Spawn phases does the Necro Spawn zone then get included in rotations for double spawns?)

Scenario 2
Building Spawn with 2 rooms (A and B)

Room A - draws a Necromancer card, places new Necromancer Spawn Zone in room A
Necromancer Spawn Zone: Draws double Spawn:

A - I now draw two cards for the Necro Spawn Zone (as it's not part of the room rotation)?

or

B - I now draw two cards for Room B?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario 1: Option A is correct. The Necromancer Spawn Token will not be included in the current round if it wraps back around via Double Spawns, but it is in the sequence during end phase spawns in subsequent rounds, yes.

Scenario 2: Option A again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gutripper
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Scenario 1: Option A is correct. The Necromancer Spawn Token will not be included in the current round if it wraps back around via Double Spawns, but it is in the sequence during end phase spawns in subsequent rounds, yes.

Scenario 2: Option A again.

Perfect thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don P
Sweden
flag msg tools
I would have spawn in zone B as the card clearly say spawn two cards on the next zone. As zone A has already been spawn on, the next in line is zone B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don_pers wrote:
I would have spawn in zone B as the card clearly say spawn two cards on the next zone. As zone has already been spawn at the next in line is zone B.

When a necromancer appears during a spawn the additional spawn that comes with the necro token is handled unto itself before moving on to any other spawn zones, so a double spawn drawn for him would require that two more cards get drawn for his token, etc. That is only done that way when he first appears. In ensuing spawn phases his token just becomes into the rotation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don P
Sweden
flag msg tools
Well sure you can play like that but my interpretation is that when drawing a double spawn for the necromancer token in zone A, its ok to go to the next zone as the card say dont spawn here. The next zone should therefor be zone B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what if you get to that necro spawn zone again during the same spawning phase? would you then include the necro token or not? or is it only included after being in play for a whole game round?

it is strange that the rules don't seem to cover such a situation. they also don't seem to imply that the necro token is in anyway treated differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don P
Sweden
flag msg tools
You mean drawing a second necro card when spawning for the first necro card token? Then I would just add a new necro token on the same zone(A). Then draw a new card for the second necro token. As long as you have a secong necro mini, else its an extra activation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a debate we had a long time ago. The consistent ways to play it are as I mentioned above (treating the Necromancer token spawn as a single contained spawn within one Zone) or to add it to the current sequence (even within a building) and continue.

An official ruling made it clear that the former was the intended one during a building spawn (Scenario 2 above). We technically haven't had an official ruling on End Phase spawns (Scenario 1), but it makes the most sense to treat them the same way as building spawns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don P
Sweden
flag msg tools
Ok well if its official ruling then I guess you are right. Havent seen such a official ruling though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the ruling in question, taken from the GG answers thread:

(Q6) How to deal with the Necromancer SPawn token when you have to cycle through the Building spawn : is it counted or excluded when resolving Double Spawn cards ?

(A6) The Spawn token is excluded, players are resolving a Building Spawn, not an end turn spawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don P
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hmm ok I see how you can make that wording mean that a double spawn for a token is handled within it self as it not part of the room spawn cycle. I wonder though if they dont only mean to ignore the necro token when returning to zone (A) after a complete cycle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it's not definitive, but I can't make any sense out of including it within the sequence of the initial spawn pass but to not include it in the sequence of the potential subsequent spawn passes through the same building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
truth is, every time the rules mention necromancer spawn tokens, it says "from now on treat it like any other spawn zone", which is why I don't see any reason whatsover to treat it any differently. additionally, the words on a double spawn card specifically say to not place zombies here, but to draw 2 cards at the next zone. simply concluding from the card text and from the base game rules, I would go with option B and draw 2 cards at the next zone, which is how I played it. I did not even doubt its correctness for a seccond, for above mentioned reasons.

You might be right, BUT nothing in the base rules suggest to handle a necro spawn zone and double spawn cards in such a case (or in any case for that matter) differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the rules also state that before it becomes a standard Spawn Zone, you: "immediately resolve a regular Zombie Spawn for it."

From the very start we argued whether this meant it was a special Spawn that resolves in a single Zone, like opening a single Zone building, or whether it was saying to draw a single Spawn card. Some even argued you should discard non-regular cards until you got one (although this argument did not last long).

It all came down to the two options that were consistent... You either insert the Necromancer Spawn Token into the current spawn with a single card and continue into further Zones within the triggering Spawn sequence if a Double Spawn were drawn; or you treat the Necromancer Spawn Token as getting a single contained Spawn within its own Zone, interrupting the triggering Spawn sequence until the Necromancer Spawn is complete. Both matched the rules to some degree, but only one matched the official ruling when we finally got that.

So it does match the rules and it isn't handled differently. It's just a special Spawn that is contained to a single Zone. It also has the benefit that the Necromancer is much more likely to have his minions show up in his own Zone rather than the next one over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, and for how long is it treated as a separate spawn phase? only for the very first time it enters play or for the whole spawn cycle until the next game round?

e.g: I draw a Necro card, place the mini, place a Necro Spawn Token and resolve a separate spawn phase by drawing one spawn card. if it is a double spawn, I draw 2 cards for the Necro spawn token since it is a separate spawn phase with only one zone. I do this until I don't draw any more double spawns. now the separate necro spawn phase is over and the necro spawn token will be treated like any other from now on. then I continue with the normal spawn phase. should I come back to the necro spawn token during the same rotation (due to other double sawn cards), it is now included in the rotation, since it is treated like any other spawn token after the separate necro spawn phase has been completed. Correct?

thanks for the answers by the way. I only own this game for a week now, so I'm happy to get this right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Clansman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LX1986 wrote:
truth is, every time the rules mention necromancer spawn tokens, it says "from now on treat it like any other spawn zone", which is why I don't see any reason whatsover to treat it any differently. additionally, the words on a double spawn card specifically say to not place zombies here, but to draw 2 cards at the next zone. simply concluding from the card text and from the base game rules, I would go with option B and draw 2 cards at the next zone, which is how I played it. I did not even doubt its correctness for a seccond, for above mentioned reasons.

You might be right, BUT nothing in the base rules suggest to handle a necro spawn zone and double spawn cards in such a case (or in any case for that matter) differently.

The rules do comment that the Necro "comes with his own infected army". It would make most sense for the army to appear with the Necro, not somewhere else thus, thematically at least, the initial spawn (and any resulting double spawns) should be confined to that spawn zone. From the above comments, that appears to be GG's intent.

@Alexander, after completing the initial Necro spawn, "from now on it spawns zombies in the same way a standard spawn zone would", so I think it enters the spawn cycle straight away (in other words, if sufficient double spawns are drawn to get back round to it, it spawns again).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's clear from the ruling that you don't do it if the Necromancer showed up during a building Spawn. End Phase Spawns are really unclear. We don't have an official ruling and you could argue it either way. However, for now I just prefer to treat it the same way as a building spawn for consistency..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LX1986 wrote:
...should I come back to the necro spawn token during the same rotation (due to other double sawn cards), it is now included in the rotation, since it is treated like any other spawn token after the separate necro spawn phase has been completed. Correct?

I'm trying to remember from when we last played but I think this is what we were doing for the regular spawn phase. If the spawning wraps around then it gets included in the cycle.
But for the building spawn it just "comes with its own army" and then is skipped during the rest of the building spawn. Since it's a token it is only included when doing a zombie phase spawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
LX1986 wrote:
...should I come back to the necro spawn token during the same rotation (due to other double sawn cards), it is now included in the rotation, since it is treated like any other spawn token after the separate necro spawn phase has been completed. Correct?

I'm trying to remember from when we last played but I think this is what we were doing for the regular spawn phase. If the spawning wraps around then it gets included in the cycle.
But for the building spawn it just "comes with its own army" and then is skipped during the rest of the building spawn. Since it's a token it is only included when doing a zombie phase spawn.

That's what I concluded as well. I think it makes sense at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind the difference with the building method, then go for it. You might want to consider treating it as immediately adding itself to the spawn sequence when the Necromancer card is drawn, though, just for simplicity reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.