Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: But_Obama_Did_it! [+] [View All]
Daniel Eig
United States
Huntington
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The news media is abuzz with her plagiarism. And when you read, or more importantly listen to the two quotes side by side, its hard to believe its a coincidence:

Melania Trump - 2016:
If you want someone to fight for you and your country, I can assure you, he is the 'guy'.
He will never, ever, give up.
And, most importantly, he will never, ever, let you down.

Rick Astley - 1987
And if you ask me how I'm feeling
Don't tell me you're too blind to see
Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down

Never gonna run around and desert you

I think its telling that she wisely holds back from saying Trump will never run around and desert you.

You can listen to the entire speech here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Staff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZZZ....zzz...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diabolik771 wrote:
ZZZ....zzz...

You got Rick Rolled!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
The fake racist card wasn't working.

Toss the fake plagiarism card up and see if it catches a breeze.

Btw, I heard them side by side on the radio. Not even close, yet eerily similar to every First Lady convention speech for the last few decades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what happens when you hire speech writers to speak to the humanoids. Eventually it all sounds the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Evan as a Lib. this is a non-issue for me. I feel sorry for any potential 1st spouses. I'm sure most of them would rather be doing just about anything than giving a doe-eyed speech about their narcissist significant other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
The fake racist card wasn't working.

Toss the fake plagiarism card up and see if it catches a breeze

Btw, I heard them side by side on the radio.

uh huh

Melania Trump wrote:
"From a young age, my parents impressed on me the values that you work hard for what you want in life, that your word is your bond and you do what you say and keep your promise, that you treat people with respect. They taught and showed me values and morals in their daily lives. That is a lesson that I continue to pass along to our son. And we need to pass those lessons on to the many generations to follow. Because we want our children in this nation to know that the only limit to your achievements is the strength of your dreams and your willingness to work for them."

Michelle Obama wrote:
"Barack and I were raised with so many of the same values: that you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond and you do what you say you’re going to do; that you treat people with dignity and respect, even if you don’t know them, and even if you don’t agree with them. And Barack and I set out to build lives guided by these values, and pass them on to the next generation. Because we want our children — and all children in this nation — to know that the only limit to the height of your achievements is the reach of your dreams and your willingness to work for them."

If you pulled this shit in any first-year English class in university and the professor recognized the original source, best case is you get a a zero and a talking-to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
So the wife of a candidate, who's known for off the cuff remarks, a woman who's not used to public speaking looked at the current first ladies speeches and used it as a base for her speech (and probably more).

Big whoop. There's plenty of reason to be against Trump. That his wife isn't a good speech thief is not one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
If you pulled this shit in any first-year English class in university and the professor recognized the original source, best case is you get a a zero and a talking-to.

Damn right!

However, it's a speech that very few people listened to or cared about. And plagiarism isn't a crime. So who the hell cares?

Maybe someone should give Melania's speech writers a "talking to", perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Manvel
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
“In writing her beautiful speech, Melania’s team of writers took notes on her life’s inspirations, and in some instances included fragments that reflected her own thinking,” wrote senior communications advisor Jason Miller in a statement Tuesday morning. . . . Melania Trump had previously indicated that she wrote the speech herself.

Taking the heat by calling her a liar?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/republican-national-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
So the wife of a candidate, who's known for off the cuff remarks, a woman who's not used to public speaking looked at the current first ladies speeches and used it as a base for her speech (and probably more).

Big whoop. There's plenty of reason to be against Trump. That his wife isn't a good speech thief is not one of them.

She actually wrote her own speech? I thought all that stuff was done by speech writers behind the scenes. (EDIT: Apparently she did - Erik's quote indicates that she claimed credit for it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:

"Melania plagiarized a Michelle Obama speech" is easy to understand and also fairly funny as mini-scandals go. It's much more digestible for the casual consumer of news than, say, "the Trump campaign generally and the Republican convention specifically have a broad swath of bigoted and white supremacist themes and draw parallels to fascist regimes far more than anybody should be comfortable with."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
mightygodking wrote:

Damn right!

However, it's a speech that very few people listened to or cared about. And plagiarism isn't a crime. So who the hell cares?

Maybe someone should give Melania's speech writers a "talking to", perhaps?

Yes, it's pretty obviously lifted from Michelle Obama's speech.

What's funny is the same members of the media who praised the speech when Michelle Obama gave it (in both 2008 and again in 2012, because I guess she didn't want to hire someone to write a new one) criticized it as "vacuous" when Melania used the same words.

Hey, President Barry plagiarized Deval Patrick's speech, so whatever.

I'm more interested in the drama on the floor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:

I largely agree, although I have no clue why she'd pick Michelle Obama of all people to plagiarize from. I realize that Melanaia gives less than two shits, but even she must know that the Obamas are The Great Evil in the eyes of her husband's voter base.

Maybe she's trying to take down the campaign from the inside. Makes sense, really. It's one thing to suffer the indignity of being Trump's latest wife in exchange for cash and prizes; it's another when you realize you might suddenly have to do tedious First Lady shit for 4-8 years instead of drinking cocktails on the Riviera.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Until we hear from Rick Astley or his publicist, I think we should temper our criticism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
eaglebeak wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:

I largely agree, although I have no clue why she'd pick Michelle Obama of all people to plagiarize from. I realize that Melanaia gives less than two shits, but even she must know that the Obamas are The Great Evil in the eyes of her husband's voter base.

Maybe she's trying to take down the campaign from the inside. Makes sense, really. It's one thing to suffer the indignity of being Trump's latest wife in exchange for cash and prizes; it's another when you realize you might suddenly have to do tedious First Lady shit for 4-8 years instead of drinking cocktails on the Riviera.

My guess:

"Can you get me a copy f the first lady speeches from the last presidential campaign."

"Yes, Ma'am".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
eaglebeak wrote:
It's one thing to suffer the indignity of being Trump's latest wife in exchange for cash and prizes; it's another when you realize you might suddenly have to do tedious First Lady shit for 4-8 years instead of drinking cocktails on the Riviera.

Yeah, because Michelle's million-dollar vacations around the world are "tedious First Lady shit."

Michelle is absolutely enjoying the perks of her position on the taxpayer dime. (So is Barry.) The gravy train will run out soon, and she'll have to do what Hillary did -- give vacuous speeches to Wall Street execs in exchange for hundreds of thousands of dollars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
eaglebeak wrote:
It's one thing to suffer the indignity of being Trump's latest wife in exchange for cash and prizes; it's another when you realize you might suddenly have to do tedious First Lady shit for 4-8 years instead of drinking cocktails on the Riviera.

Yeah, because Michelle's million-dollar vacations around the world are "tedious First Lady shit."

Michelle is absolutely enjoying the perks of her position on the taxpayer dime. (So is Barry.) The gravy train will run out soon, and she'll have to do what Hillary did -- give vacuous speeches to Wall Street execs in exchange for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Most Pols know how to pull up their knee pads... one leg at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it matter that a Presidential candidate's wife plagiarized part of her speech at the political convention? No.

Is it hilarious that she plagiarized the speech of a First Lady who has been ripped repeatedly by the oppoition party, in a way that First Lady's rarely have been (oh, yeah, except for the last Democratic First Lady)? Yes.

Are the obvious lies of the Presidential candidate's campaign in addressing the plagiarism an issue? Yes.

When one of your major story lines is that the other candidate is a liar and cannot be trusted, it would sound more convincing if you ever told the truth.

The Snake Oil Salesman should be telling someone soon, "You're Fired!"

I trust Joe Biden will not be taking the lead on this issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's more a symptom of incompetence by the Trump campaign than anything else. Whoever wrote Melania's speech has been caught cutting corners, and the Trump supporters seem ok with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
I think it's more a symptom of incompetence by the Trump campaign than anything else. Whoever wrote Melania's speech has been caught cutting corners, and the Trump supporters seem ok with that.

If you won't be sued for it, it's not a problem it's efficiency!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you guys out of shit to talk about? Out of curiosity, which lib website did you lift this non-controversy from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
... Not even close...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently this shit happens all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.