Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Schwarz
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I searched the board and haven't found this question (maybe I'm just blind, if so I'm sorry!).

So my question is: How much time should I plan for my first game of Scythe with 4 players including explaining the rules?
I just ask because my copy should arrive today and I'm thinking about bringing it to my weekly gaming group tomorrow...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game took about 2.5 hours for 4 players. First time for everyone, but everyone was at least somewhat familiar with the rules. We spent the first 15 minutes reviewing everything before starting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M T
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
First game took 2.5h after rules and set up. It felt like we played fast. I don't see this being played in under 2h.

Rules are easy to grasp, the explanation went pretty fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not underestimate rules explanation. Rodney Smith (Watch it Played) needs more than 32 minutes to explain everything in his video (after editing!) and he knows what he is doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tacco wrote:
First game took 2.5h after rules and set up. It felt like we played fast. I don't see this being played in under 2h.

Rules are easy to grasp, the explanation went pretty fast.

I have played this twice at 3p, once at 4p and three times solo. Play times were 2hrs 5min and 1hr 55min for 3p, 2hr 15min for 4p, and about 1hr 30min for solo. These times include set-up but not rules explanation.

Edit: For more data check out this thread - How long have your games lasted?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
KillerPower wrote:
Hi,

I searched the board and haven't found this question (maybe I'm just blind, if so I'm sorry!).

So my question is: How much time should I plan for my first game of Scythe with 4 players including explaining the rules?
I just ask because my copy should arrive today and I'm thinking about bringing it to my weekly gaming group tomorrow...

Send a message to the players who want to play. Send them Rodney's video.

Set up. Ready to play.

2.5 hours for first game sounds right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first game, 4p, took probably a half hour for rules and questions, then 2 hours to play. Probably a little less than that actually. Maybe 2 hrs 20 min total with rules.

EDIT: Oh and we weren't using the rule of starting your top action while the previous player was doing their bottom action. That could have cut some significant time out as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About 2-3 hours for the first couple of games.

Once you get familiar with the game, the sessions go fast (e.g., My last two 2p sessions went 49 mins and 71 mins).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Gray
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first play through was a 5 player game where no one (except me) knew the rules. So including setup, teaching, playing, and packing up it was 2.5 hours.

I think you could easily do it in 2 hours, even with 5 players, if everyone knows the rules ahead of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Piquette
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
I had to spend this geek gold on something
mbmbmbmbmb
4 player game, had to teach everyone. I think it was about 30 minutes going over the rules and setting up. After that, we finished in about 110 minutes. (I kept track because I wanted to see if the 115 minute box time was reasonable - it surprisingly is).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lee
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Andy, you Goonie!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
EDIT: Oh and we weren't using the rule of starting your top action while the previous player was doing their bottom action. That could have cut some significant time out as well.

Yes, this is very important. I've always played with this rule where the next player starts their turn while the player figures out which bottom action to take. It really speeds up the game a ton (Jamey has said in a thread somewhere that he often sees it cutting the playtime by half!).

Just be sure that if you play this way to pay attention to the bottom actions of your neighbors to see if when you take them they can benefit from their enlist ability (the rulebook suggests to announce your bottom action). Oh, and don't forget that you also get the benefit from your own enlist action!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Echoing others. At least 2 hours, likely more up to 3. Subsequent plays get significantly better. A lot of the drag is from learning rules and people not having a plan due to unfamiliarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These answers seem on track.

I would have one player finish their top and bottom actions before the next player goes until everyone has the rules down. People are bound to miss something or get confused their first game or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone gotten much use out of the Quick Start cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
razordaze wrote:
I think they may have served to relax an overwhelmed player or two and provide focus while they got started but otherwise I don't think we've made much use of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
razordaze wrote:

The objective cards were more useful to give my wife guidance in her first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Schwarz
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everybody... Unfortunatly, I won't play Scythe tonight, as FedEx thought it would be a good idea to deliver a parcel at a time, where normal people are at work. They will try again today... well, I might have a clue what will happen.... but maybe their website will find my tracking number today, so that I can tell them to arrive at my house after 5:00 pm.

So... maybe I will play it next week!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buffy Leigh
Canada
flag msg tools
We had them in front of us for our first game, but what was suggested wasn't really doable right off the bat (we were both about 2 turns behind, e.g. in doing both a top and bottom action in one turn). We won't use them again. I think the more important info is knowing what units do what (and after the first game, you'll have that memorized), and what the other characters' special mech abilities are. I'd rather have all that mech info on a card (rather than just the riverwalk abilities).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.