Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/pakistan-murder-shows...

My god, you mean it's not a Muslim thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what are the stats on honor killings, It seems like Christians ones are rare, but I don't have the data.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Staff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yawn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
what are the stats on honor killings, It seems like Christians ones are rare, but I don't have the data.
You mean a minority population carry out less crimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lev 21:9 "And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the whore, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire."

"And he that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death. (Exodus 21:17)"

"For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him. (Leviticus 20:9)"

Australian Christian group defends “honour killings”
https://thedebateinitiative.com/2012/08/13/australian-christ...

"Honour killing also happens in Christian communities in the Mediterranean and other regions. The culture of Ancient Rome allowed the father to kill his children if he deemed necessary. Honour killing was only abolished as a specific category in Italy in 1981, and murders in the name of honour still occur in the country. In 2006, Bruna Morito was shot six times in the face by her brother for bearing a child outside marriage. In Brazil, men could be acquitted for murdering their wives up until 1991, and there have been 800 recorded such murders in a single year. Even in 1991, a lower court ignored the ruling of the Supreme Court and acquitted Joao Lopes for the double homicide of his wife and her lover. In fact, the opposition of the woman as the vessel of familial honour and the man as its protector was widespread throughout the southern European region, although it is not clear how many murders are committed in the name of honour at the present time.

Even within the Middle East, honour killing is not restricted to Muslims. In Yemen, a Jewish father killed his daughter after a rebuke from the rabbi for her extra-marital pregnancy, and in Palestine, in 2005, Faten Habash was beaten to death with an iron bar, wielded by her Christian father because she wanted to marry her Muslim boyfriend."
Source http://www.islamawareness.net/HonourKilling/outside.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Racism !

No I mean show us how many honor killings happen each year by religion ideology.

Something like this

Christian 109
Jews 104
Catholics 55
Hindu 34
Scientology 55
Satanists 6
Islam 2

then lets compare actual numbers to the numbers of people in the religion and get a % of their members who commit these crimes.

Then a sample % of people in the religion who think honor killings are appropriate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Most Christians are more moral than their Bible. The lack of honor killing is a result of centuries of secular humanism and common fucking sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Honor killings are more a cultural phenomenon than Religous. Of course there is overlap as certain cultures are more likely adherents of certain religions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Racism !

No I mean show us how many honor killings happen each year by religion ideology.

Something like this

Christian 109
Jews 104
Catholics 55
Hindu 34
Scientology 55
Satanists 6
Islam 2

then lets compare actual numbers to the numbers of people in the religion and get a % of their members who commit these crimes.

Then a sample % of people in the religion who think honor killings are appropriate.

Scientology 55 that's laugh If they did, I wonder if they'd electrocute them with an E-meter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Racism !

Something like this

Christian 109
Jews 104
Catholics 55
Hindu 34
Scientology 55
Satanists 6
Islam 2

The incidence of honor killings is very difficult to determine and estimates vary widely. In most countries data on honor killings is not collected systematically, and many of these killings are reported by the families as suicides or accidents and registered as such.

That excludes the fact that we have no real clear concept of what "honour killing" even is. Is killing your son for being gay an honour killings, how about your daughters black boyfriend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Honor killings are more a cultural phenomenon than Religous. Of course there is overlap as certain cultures are more likely adherents of certain religions.

When religions codify, condone and absolve the practice I'd say they are the bigger part of the problem than the culture. Usually it's the culture that steps in and makes the practice unacceptable. Written texts don't change attitudes about what it REALLY(?) means does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
jmilum wrote:

When religions codify, condone and absolve the practice I'd say they are the bigger part of the problem than the culture. Usually it's the culture that has steps in and makes the practice unacceptable. Written texts don't change attitudes about what is REALLY(?) means does.
Honor Killing is not in the Koran, it is inn the bible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Catholic News Agency? Story from a year ago?

At first I thought it might be a parody of the Catholic News Service. Nope. It's a real thing. Basically a blog based out of Peru. Kudos for open mindedness Slater. I guess you will no longer be dismissing the Daily Mail out of hand any longer.
If the daily mail said "The daily mail cannot be trusted" I might believe them.

Thin is a Christian sight saiyng Christians do bad stuff.

This more up to date for you?

http://ktla.com/2016/06/19/pregnant-woman-husband-tortured-a...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Honor killings are more a cultural phenomenon

Western culture ? if not ,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Catholic News Agency? Story from a year ago?

At first I thought it might be a parody of the Catholic News Service. Nope. It's a real thing. Basically a blog based out of Peru. Kudos for open mindedness Slater. I guess you will no longer be dismissing the Daily Mail out of hand any longer.
If the daily mail said "The daily mail cannot be trusted" I might believe them.

Thin is a Christian sight saiyng Christians do bad stuff.

This more up to date for you?

http://ktla.com/2016/06/19/pregnant-woman-husband-tortured-a...

You have some outside information that this case in which the one quote says it is not an honor killing, and which the reporter seems to indicate some disbelief that it was an honor killing, was in fact an honor killing?
Which is the point I made earlier about the fact that the concept of "honour killing" is ill defined and seems to be just a label applied when someone wants to make a point.

No I do not have outside information
Quote:

The killings are the latest in a recent surge of so-called “honor killings” in Pakistan.

I have this quote.

That is the point, the killings (whether by Muslims or Christians) are only so called honour killings.

Is this an honour killing?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/02/father-charged-wi...

Or this?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/dad-killed-daughter-le...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
jmilum wrote:

When religions codify, condone and absolve the practice I'd say they are the bigger part of the problem than the culture. Usually it's the culture that steps in and makes the practice unacceptable. Written texts don't change attitudes about what it REALLY(?) means does.

I agree, if an honor killing is in a Religous text, that's on the Religion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
jmilum wrote:

Romans had laws allowing honor killings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
jmilum wrote:

Romans had laws allowing honor killings.

yeah but still.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Kind of vague though. The article says she was a Christian, and that 'her family' are Christians.

Never says 'he' is a Christian. And obviously, he's not acting in a Christian way. I mean, seriously Steven? When did Christ or the apostles ever command such a thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Kind of vague though. The article says she was a Christian, and that 'her family' are Christians.

Never says 'he' is a Christian. And obviously, he's not acting in a Christian way. I mean, seriously Steven? When did Christ or the apostles ever command such a thing?
So her family are Christian, but he (a member of her family) is not?

By the way, the Koran does not instruct people to "honour kill", neither does the new Testament (as has been said more then once this is cultural not religious).

Lev 21:9 And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the whore, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire.

Exodus 21:17 And he that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death.

Leviticus 20:9 For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.

But it can be said that it is condoned by the old testament, and that is part of Christian scripture and teaching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Yep, put this up with slavery in the 'God loves us all, but is too busy to tell us it's immoral' column. Hey, it's 'just what they did back then' so God gets a Mulligan, Nooo probs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Paul did say the following to the Christians in Rome:
Paul in Romans 3:9-10 wrote:
Are we any better off? No, not at all; for we have already charged that all ... are under the power of sin, as it is written:
“There is no one who is righteous, not even one;"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
rayito2702 wrote:
Are we any better off? No, not at all; for we have already charged that all ... are under the power of sin, as it is written:

and... non-sequitur hour?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
rayito2702 wrote:

and...

Perhaps you haven't read the tread title.

For all Slater's whining about religion, he and Paul agree on one thing at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rayito2702 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
rayito2702 wrote:

and...

Perhaps you haven't read the tread title.

For all Slater's whining about religion, he and Paul agree on one thing at least.
I agree with many religions about many things, I just disagree with their right to make me live by them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.