Popular Tags: [View All]
Ulrich Roth
Spain
Barcelona
Catalunya
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This variant was mentioned by atana in his comments on the game:

"cold calling: In this game a common trick is to keep a (low) pair, hoping to get called and having the second card in your hand. After you've played a bit you can see this coming, and cold calling allows you to win by calling the entire contents of someone's hand. The risk/reward is high here."

What would be the point swing in such a case?
The sum of those hand cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ernest
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Correct.

When you "cold call" someone (presuming the variant rule is active) you must describe the total contents of their hand, and the penalty is the sum of those cards.

You have to get it exactly right, or you lose. I once cold called my daughter having three 10's, and she actually had 10-10-9, so I paid her 29 chips. (Ouch.)

Cold Calling is great once you know the game well, and it can keep players from being stuck with no good moves on the last card. It also forces people to play a little less predictably.

Thanks!

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Roth
Spain
Barcelona
Catalunya
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Awesome - thanks for replying.

Can't wait to try it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.