Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Base revealed, Rapid mobilisation with an imperial unit in the system? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Solo
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's the end of the game, time marker is on turn 8 while reputation marker is on turn 10. The Empire has found the rebel base on Dantooine. They attacked the base and won the ground battle. Only a lone AT-ST survived. However, they lost the space battle. Only space unit remaining is a MC cruiser. The Empire have a Star Destroyer and an assault carrier on the build queue ready to be deployed on Mygeeto on turn 9 to strike the base again in hope to get rid of the MC cruiser and win the game.

Since the base has been revealed and since there is an imperial unit in the base system, can the rebel player play Rapid mobilisation or is this move illegal because of the Imperial unit in the ground theatre?

Thematically I would refer to episode V battle of Hoth to say that rapid mobilisation is legal.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
Likes: Mountains, Tundra Turn-offs: Serpents, Marsh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, the Rebels can play RM. Nothing I can think of ever stops them from playing/resolving that mission (except not getting a legal choice for the new base location).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Provided the Rebels had assigned at least one leader to Rapid Mobilization during the Assignment Phase of Round 8, they would be able to reveal it and resolve it at the end of the Command Phase of Round 8. If they had not had the forethought to assign a leader to the card back then, the earliest chance they have to move the base is the end of the Command Phase of Round 9.

In other words, although the Rebels can assign a leader to Rapid Mobilization in Round 9, and could even reveal that mission as their first turn of the Command Phase, the resolution of the card does not happen until the end of the Command Phase of Round 9, so the Imperial Player will probably destroy the base before it can move.

So the presence of the Imperial units in the system does not stop the reveal, nor resolution of the move base option on Rapid Mobilization, but the Rebels must have already set this up much earlier.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait...

I thought Dantooine was too remote for an effective demonstration of the Empire's power?
22 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
happyfan wrote:
It's the end of the game, time marker is on turn 8 while reputation marker is on turn 10. The Empire has found the rebel base on Dantooine. They attacked the base and won the ground battle. Only a lone AT-ST survived. However, they lost the space battle. Only space unit remaining is a MC cruiser. The Empire have a Star Destroyer and an assault carrier on the build queue ready to be deployed on Mygeeto on turn 9 to strike the base again in hope to get rid of the MC cruiser and win the game.

Since the base has been revealed and since there is an imperial unit in the base system, can the rebel player play Rapid mobilisation or is this move illegal because of the Imperial unit in the ground theatre?

Thematically I would refer to episode V battle of Hoth to say that rapid mobilisation is legal.


I agree with what the other posters have said, but I'd like to ask why you think it might not be able to move, as that may be important.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Protip: if the base is going to be attacked this turn, consider revealing Rapid Mobilization early in the turn. That way you'll already have a leader in system for the combat.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
demoss1 wrote:
Protip: if the base is going to be attacked this turn, consider revealing Rapid Mobilization early in the turn. That way you'll already have a leader in system for the combat.


Well...that may not necessarily be the right move if the leader you have assigned to RM is not the leader you want for the combat...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
But if you're assigning two leaders anyway as many people suggest, the second might as well be the one to lead the upcoming battle.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
demoss1 wrote:
But if you're assigning two leaders anyway as many people suggest, the second might as well be the one to lead the upcoming battle.


If a leader assigned to RM is the leader you want for the battle, then yeah...the only way to get them to the system would be to reveal RM before the attack. If not, though, it would prevent you from being able to use the leader you want.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Solo
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
poshniallo wrote:
happyfan wrote:
It's the end of the game, time marker is on turn 8 while reputation marker is on turn 10. The Empire has found the rebel base on Dantooine. They attacked the base and won the ground battle. Only a lone AT-ST survived. However, they lost the space battle. Only space unit remaining is a MC cruiser. The Empire have a Star Destroyer and an assault carrier on the build queue ready to be deployed on Mygeeto on turn 9 to strike the base again in hope to get rid of the MC cruiser and win the game.

Since the base has been revealed and since there is an imperial unit in the base system, can the rebel player play Rapid mobilisation or is this move illegal because of the Imperial unit in the ground theatre?

Thematically I would refer to episode V battle of Hoth to say that rapid mobilisation is legal.


I agree with what the other posters have said, but I'd like to ask why you think it might not be able to move, as that may be important.


I guess the presence of an imperial AT-ST on the ground theatre had me doubt even though nothing was specifically saying in the rules or on the card the rebel player could not. The rebel player had planned rapid mobilization during the assignement phase of turn 8 so that was not a problem and we argued the battle of Hoth as an example although there was still some imperial ships in space in the movie.

It turned out the Empire had done a pretty good work at parking imperial units on systems they did not have the prob card and the rapid mobilization did not enable the rebel player to move. On turn 9, the empire deployed the Star Destroyer and assault carrier in Mygeeto space. The rebel player played a mission that allowed them to destroy assault carrier. The mission was not opposed since it would have prevented the empire from sending the star destroyer In Dantooine space. Empire activated Dantooine with the Emperor while the rebel player sent back Jedi Luke to defend. The MC cruiser survived securing the rebel victory.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
happyfan wrote:
The MC cruiser survived securing the rebel victory.


Those things seem a lot tougher than their stats would indicate when defending the Rebel Base for some reason....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
demoss1 wrote:
happyfan wrote:
The MC cruiser survived securing the rebel victory.


Those things seem a lot tougher than their stats would indicate when defending the Rebel Base for some reason....


Usually because they have backup from ion cannons.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
demoss1 wrote:
happyfan wrote:
The MC cruiser survived securing the rebel victory.


Those things seem a lot tougher than their stats would indicate when defending the Rebel Base for some reason....


Usually because they have backup from ion cannons.


Even without. When the ENTIRE FRIGGIN' REBELLION is depending on them to survive, they do, it seems.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Solo
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
demoss1 wrote:
csouth154 wrote:
demoss1 wrote:
happyfan wrote:
The MC cruiser survived securing the rebel victory.


Those things seem a lot tougher than their stats would indicate when defending the Rebel Base for some reason....


Usually because they have backup from ion cannons.


Even without. When the ENTIRE FRIGGIN' REBELLION is depending on them to survive, they do, it seems.


In this game the rebel player managed to build 4 Mon Calamari cruisers (one got destroyed down the road obviously). At some point the rebel player had loyalty in Mon Calamari, Utapau and Corelia. The latter was under imperial blockade while the other 2 were subjugated. Needless to say it made Imperial star destroyer a precious and rare ressource during the whole game. I think the ability of the rebel player to prevent the imperial player from building lots of ISD contributed to the survival of the MC cruiser.

In the big battle of Dantooine on turn 8, the Empire had 1 star destroyer, 3 assault carriers and 4 or 5 Ties facing 3 MC cruisers, 1 correlian corvette, one X-wing, one Y-wing and an ion cannon.

In the final battle on turn 9, Jedi Luke and Emperor were facing each other. They can both draw 3 space tactical cards at the start of combat. So the final battle was in a sens pretty even : 1 MC cruiser vs 1 Star Destroyer. The MC cruiser survived thanks to some lucky tactic card draws. But overall, the Rebel player did manage to limit the imperial production of ISD and that was the game decider.

BTW, thanks to all who gave their input to the original question! Much appreciated!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.