Subject: Games like "a game of thrones" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jerry baker
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
looking for a good strategy game, i own rex and scythe. i was looking at a game of thrones but have heard some bad things. any suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wilder
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at Warrior Knights? Its a medieval political/wargame, which seems similar in theme to me to A Game of Thrones. I don't know how similar the gameplay is though, so I don't know if the bad things you have heard apply to this game as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmb
If any game captures the feel of Game of Thrones, it's A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)...I would go so far to say it's the first time I think an IP game did it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Whatever bad things you heard about a Game of Thrones the Board Games were incorrect. It's awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ironically, the last time I taught new players a game that they connected to GoT without any prompting from me, it was a small box, filler length game, Condottiere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
Whatever bad things you heard about a Game of Thrones the Board Games were incorrect. It's awesome.

+1 to this. Only played it twice, but it was excellent. It's only "flaw" that I can think of is that it was a long game. But it's as mean and treacherous as it needs to be. Great fun.

The GoT card game does a really nice job of capturing the feel (and spirit) of the books too - though I haven't played the second edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Helms
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fief: France 1429

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Nikolaus
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll start out by saying I love A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) and it's one of the games I try to get my group to play anytime there is enough people to play it. But IMHO it does have some serious issues. I really needs 5 or 6 people to be at it's best. With three people the game gets a bit stale after a few plays. With four people the game is almost broken as it is way to easy for the Lannisters and the Baratheons to just push south through the neutral enemies and win. Plus the fourth player gets put into strategically worst spot and can cause some players to get a bit frustrated(more so than the other major houses).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
If any game captures the feel of Game of Thrones, it's A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)...I would go so far to say it's the first time I think an IP game did it right.

As long as you don't mind the timeline being before the book or show really happens. You need an expansion to get a better feel for the actual story line.

Also, GoT is a solid game if, you have 6 people or four people with the expansion built for it. At 3 or 5 players, play something else. El Grande is a far superior experience for area control at 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Helton
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

As long as you don't mind the timeline being before the book or show really happens. You need an expansion to get a better feel for the actual story line.

Also, GoT is a solid game if, you have 6 people or four people with the expansion built for it. At 3 or 5 players, play something else. El Grande is a far superior experience for area control at 5 players.

Agreed.
You really need six players, IMHO, to get a really good game of GOT, 2nd Ed.
And I love the game too, as does everyone in my gaming group.

However, you asked for other games like a Game of Thrones, which is a book and show about making and breaking alliances and warfare.
(i.e. backstabbing, deceit, and possibly even cheating are all considered virtues rather than bad behavior in GOT.)

So, with that being said, the grand daddy of all alliance games is "Diplomacy", one of the best games ever made, IMHO.

There is no luck, (other than the country you start with), so it is all skill. (This annoys some players, as does the whole lying and backstabbing inherent in the game play. One of the guys in my group refuses to play this game because of this.)

The one thing about Diplomacy though, is that it needs 7 players to really play well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markhelton wrote:
The one thing about Diplomacy though, is that it needs 7 players to really play well.

...and it takes forever

<-- currently in week 5 of PBEM Diplomacy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Warrior Knights

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Helton
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
markhelton wrote:

...and it takes forever

<-- currently in week 5 of PBEM Diplomacy

Well, I don't know if I would say forever, especially since we are really close to finishing our latest game, which we only started on July 21st, 2014.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.