Subject: Moving fire: British and Japanese LMGs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward
United Kingdom
Peckham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a previous thread on moving fire with the Browning Automatic Rifle but these haven't been discussed as far as I can see.

Unlike the B.A.R. the Bren and the Nambu type II are marked as light machine guns, but they do not have a crew.

So... are they "uncrewed" and therefore unable to fire as per 12.13? Or are they exempt from this rule (because they can't be crewed) and therefore better at firing on the move than even a two-man MG-34 (for example)?

Have there been any previous rulings? Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dontbecruel wrote:
There was a previous thread on moving fire with the Browning Automatic Rifle but these haven't been discussed as far as I can see.

Unlike the B.A.R. the Bren and the Nambu type II are marked as light machine guns, but they do not have a crew.

So... are they "uncrewed" and therefore unable to fire as per 12.13? Or are they exempt from this rule (because they can't be crewed) and therefore better at firing on the move than even a two-man MG-34 (for example)?

They are like the BAR, meaning they have the same weakness of being taken out of the game if the infantryman who carries them runs off...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United Kingdom
Peckham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
They are like the BAR, meaning they have the same weakness of being taken out of the game if the infantryman who carries them runs off...

Thanks. I don't disagree, necessarily, but do you have any rulebook justification for the interpretation that they are like BAR wrt Moving Fire? Or just a hunch? These are LMGs and there is a special rules section for Moving Fire with LMGs, which does not cover the case of an LMG with no bracketed firepower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fabbro
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always treated them like the BAR.

My reasoning is that the British/Japanese LMGs are not crewed and not mentioned under any of the other special cases of 12.11, 12.12 or 12.13. Therefore this makes them the same as any other of the otherwise not mentioned weapons in this section (SAR, Carbine, SMG, Assault Rifle and BAR).

Anyway, that's always the way I've played it. Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would argue that such LMGs ARE fully crewed (they require one operator). Therefore, they may fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fabbro
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A little more direct, but that works too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dontbecruel wrote:

Also the Italian and French LMG's are uncrewable weapons.

Quote:

You are correct that there is no rule or errata (or in Banzai) instructing the player to modify the FP of an uncrewable LMG if firing while moving. (Realistically you could argue for halving the firepower of such weapons by applying 12.11 to such weapons.)

But ALL moving fire halves the fire strength of each fire card (individually)--this greatly discourages firing while moving. So much so, you really should never do it at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.