Subject: Rusty rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A buddy and I played on Saturday, the first game we've played in several months. We had a blast, but the rust obviously showed.

We just randomly drew a mission, and naturally I can't remember the name now. It was one of the 3-part ones - the one were you have to sneak in and B&C any 2 named locations before Security reaches lvl 2. We'd decided to run Kenzai Waza and I ran 3 MERCS while he controlled 2 plus the Sniper.

The first mission was a breeze. We entered through the bathrooms (I don't even want to think about how that works) and there were a lot of contacts in the south hallway, so we cut north through the entrance on our way to R&C. There were 2 employees at the entrance's water cooler, but the Daimyo headshot one of them and then the wrench rushed in and captured the second before she could react. With the receptionist tied up behind her desk, we quietly made our way into the R&D room and cleared it out without anyone in the team getting wounded.

As we prepared to exit R&D, a pair of high-threat contacts appeared right around the corner and for a moment it looked like a firefight was imminent, but the two security guards took off running down the hall to the other side of the floor which left us with a clear path to the Lab a few feet down the hall. (The agent movement card moved 2 nearby black contacts to the nearest blue contacts, which were on the other side of the map.)

Clearing the lab went just as smoothly, and we were in and out in a matter of seconds, having cut the main power lines to the security system. We needed to backtrack along our path to exfil to the elevator, which turned out to be a piece of cake.

That mission went so smoothly that it barely took us 80 minutes to complete (and most of that time was spent looking up rules we'd forgotten). We still had time, so we decided to switch the room up just a little bit by flipping some of the named rooms over and moving the hallways a bit, then moved onto Part 2 of the mission chain.

This one had 2 special rules: all agents revealed become SecFor II, and we could capture SecFor II. Our first objective was to capture 4 SecFor II, then the second objective was to B&C the Lab. Then escape to the nearest stairway.

Things started off simply enough. There were several contacts right outside of our elevator, but on the first agent movement all but two of them walked into rooms. This actually worked to our benefit b/c it allowed us to just bum-rush the 2 contacts left in the hallway, overpower them, and capture them, without having any other contacts in LOS.

We had to patiently wait 2 more turns for some of the other contacts to exit their offices, but we eventually captured 4 guys. Although the last guy proved to have some fight in him and shot my Wrench and Heavy, inflicting a couple points of damage before he could be subdued.

Now you would think that right after taking a couple rounds of buckshot that my guys would have been a bit more careful, but like I said we were rusty. So instead of cautiously advancing to the Lab that we needed to B&C, I rushed my guys up to sit in front of the door and await my buddy's MERCS to begin the B&C. So naturally 2 black discs appeared on the stairs 2 squares away, then moved 2 squares towards the nearest MERCS. Ugh...

4 shot gun attacks later, my Wrench was Down and my Heavy was 1 Blood away. Despite being heavily wounded, the Heavy could not be persuaded from joining in on the B&C. Instead he took the lead and went down in a hail of bullets. His sacrifice allowed the rest of the team to clear the room though.

The rest of the team made their way to the stairs to advance to the next mission, but not before stopping to leave the Wrench some water and a prayer. He clenched his unused Incendiary Grenades, and swore that he'd hold the stairway for as long as he could.

(We ran out of time to try Part 3, but it was pretty obvious that we weren't going to stand a chance with only 3 MERCS to defend all of the civilians in that mission. LOL)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's funny - a friend and I played a mission a few weeks ago and it ended in a very similar way - an impatient rush to the objective room, no one on Reserve, and then black disks (aka SecFor IVs) popping out of the stairway and smoking two MERCS.

I replayed the same mission three more times and was much more careful, and in two of them I got to the final B&C with the security level still at I.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.