Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen stalemate rules for Star Realms. It's probably rare -- you'd have to be pretty careless with your scrapping -- but it's definitely possible to get stuck with too little firepower to overcome your opponent's bases and healing cards. What happens if both players manage to get into this situation? Thinnest deck wins, maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whilst it's probably theoretically possible for both players to end up with decks which don't have enough attack to take out an opponent's outpost I think it would be almost impossible for this to happen unless players colluded to achieve this. Even then you'd require cards that allowed you to scrap without allowing you to deal much damage. The most obvious way of achieving it is if players bought one of more of Brain World, Junkyard, Machine Base and then scrapped all their other cards.

I don't think "gain authority" powers could lead to a stalemate, every card that has a gain authority give combat and/or trade so the authority gaining player should eventually be able win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, this is never going to happen unless you're actively trying to make it happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Newton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never seen an actual stalemate/draw in game. The closest that I can think of is if both players are very low on authority (5 or less points left) and a player buys a card, revealing an event that makes both players lose all of their authority. This convoluted scenario has never happened in the hundreds of events games that I have played and the app includes a ruling that an event can never reduce a player to 0 or less authority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you get to this situation, isn't it likely at least one of you would have enough trade to purchase more ships to gain additional combat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP clearly acknowledges that this scenario is rare.
Everyone is aware that this situation will only happen once every 2 million games (probably between two inexperienced players…).

Even so, I wouldn't mind seeing an official ruling for the sake of tournament situations and such. I imagine tournament matches are timed.
What happens when two players have identical authority when the clock runs out? Is the game awarded to whomever decreased their opponent's authority first? Are ties allowed to exist in tournament games? A few physical Event cards come to mind that could force this situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewkapish wrote:
Even so, I wouldn't mind seeing an official ruling for the sake of tournament situations and such. I imagine tournament matches are timed.

What happens when two players have identical authority when the clock runs out? Is the game awarded to whomever decreased their opponent's authority first? Are ties allowed to exist in tournament games? A few physical Event cards come to mind that could force this situation.

I'd just play a rematch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewkapish wrote:
The OP clearly acknowledges that this scenario is rare.
Everyone is aware that this situation will only happen once every 2 million games (probably between two inexperienced players…).

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. For tournaments, at least, even the most remote situation usually has a rule to handle it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.