t glahn
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm looking for novels that take place in the Pacific during WWII. The war itself shouldn't be just the backdrop of the story but an essential part. I'm particularly interested in the motif of Hell invading Paradise, the stark contrast between utter cruelty and untainted ideal and how the latter deals with the emergence of the former.
Maybe there are some wargamers or literature/history buffs who may be able to help.

If this is the wrong sub-forum, please move it to the correct one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dutch East Indies is a subgenre in Dutch literature, that becomes less and less important now we move away further in time. A lot of books deals with the war in the Pacific, but to say that it was paradise invaded by hell ... no. It is more like a transfer of the indifferent people of Indonesia from one hand to another. Though many colonial official workers had the idea they were in an emerald green paradise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t glahn
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Even though this isn't what I am looking for, it does sound interesting. I wasn't aware of that niche, but this is hardly surprising: my knowledge of literature beyond the English and German speaking world is quite... limited.
Are there any German or English translations available? Are there any "must-reads", any volumes you should pick up to familiarize yourself with that genre?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Baseball's postseason! Will the Indians end professional sport's longest drought? Will the Astros or Nats finally win their first championship? And what about baseball's winningest team--the Dodgers? And don't forget about the Cubs!
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing that came to mind is James Michener's Tales of the South Pacific, a collection of related short stories based on his observations when he was based on Vanuatu (which is now a game!). It won the Pulitzer Prize and was the basis for the hugely successful Rogers and Hammerstein musical South Pacific.

A lesser known work of Michener's that you may also want to check out is his "Dibs of the South Pacific". Subtitled "Yum!".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t glahn
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for your advice. I'm aware of Michener, I even have got his Tales of the South Pacific sitting on my bookshelf; without having read him, I've always suspected him of leaning towards the idyllic, but maybe it's time to dump some presumptions and to actually read his most famous book...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Norman Mailer - The Naked and the Dead

Nevil Shute's A Town Like Alice

James Clavell - King Rat

Alistair MacLean's South by Java Head

Edward L. Beach - Run Silent Run Deep

James Farrell - The Singapore Grip

The "Papua" trilogy by Peter Watt (wildly melodramatic) :
Papua - WW1, interwar period.
Eden - WW2
The Pacific - WW2

Two books by Julian Lees: The House Of Trembling Leaves and The Fan Tan Players

Leon Uris' Battle Cry

There is also a fellow named William Butterworth who writes under the name W.E.B.Griffin. He has written a whole series of thrillers featuring a group of US Marines. They sound like Biggles meets James Bond (I have not read them) but there are about a dozen of them. #1 is Semper Fi

Also Ballard's Empire of the Sun. It's set in Shanghai, but it is still a masterpiece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Isn't James Jones's "The Thin Red Line" a good example of this? I only saw the movie so I don't know for sure. The book appears to be very good at depicting the combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t glahn
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I didn't know that "The Thin Red Line" is based on a novel - that's of course a perfect fit - thanks a lot!

Ozludo, thanks a lot for your list as well - I think I've got a good foundation to start working...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
glahn wrote:
Even though this isn't what I am looking for, it does sound interesting. I wasn't aware of that niche, but this is hardly surprising: my knowledge of literature beyond the English and German speaking world is quite... limited.
Are there any German or English translations available? Are there any "must-reads", any volumes you should pick up to familiarize yourself with that genre?

Maybe this will clear out a bit.

Must read:
Max Havelaar by Multatuli

Oeroeg by Hella Haassse is extremely popular among students, due to the number of pages ... 110.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.